The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 07-28-2014, 08:42 PM

Default how do you connect your laptops to studio monitors?

i was just wondering how you connect your laptops to studio monitors? threw the headphone output? and if you connect them to your audio interface will that be the true sound you are recording on your computer thanks.
Old 07-28-2014, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicianvw View Post
i was just wondering how you connect your laptops to studio monitors? threw the headphone output? and if you connect them to your audio interface will that be the true sound you are recording on your computer thanks.
My understanding is that the microphones or electric instruments you use along with the audio interface "make" the sound you are recording and the DAW (software in your computer) allows you to modify and store the sounds from your mics and instruments.
I use an Apogee Quartet for both inputs and outputs (monitor speakers are connected to the output channels).

Hope this makes sense to you.
Old 07-29-2014, 07:26 AM
Charter Member

The short answer is yes generally with monitors they are connected to an outboard interface, and the computer is connected to the interface. Not sure exactly what you mean by "true sound" ?

First we have to realize with recording with a computer there are two distinct different areas or realms we are dealing with that can affect the sound. And we need to for the sake of clarity, distinguish between the analog realm and the digital realm. And that in recording an acoustic instrument there are three different sequential areas that affect the accuracy of the " true sound" because the signal flow is #1 analog to #2 digital then back to #3 analog.

In the analog realm the accuracy of the sound is first determined by the accuracy of the source like mic and preamp etc. then other physical items in the signal path i.e. the physical electronic components and circuitry going into the AD.

Then into the digital realm the sound is determined by the accuracy of the analog to digital converter or AD and by the file format being converted into i.e. bit depth and sampling frequency, for example 16 bit 44.k or 24 bit 96k etc.

Then still in the digital realm the accuracy of the digital to analog converter or DA.

Then finally back to the analog realm and the accuracy of the analog circuits amplification and speakers.

So the answer to your question generally the better all of the factors the better the sound and conversely the more compromise in any of the factors the more compromised the sound
hope that helps.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 07-29-2014, 09:01 AM

I think the OP might be confusing direct monitoring and track monitoring, thinking he needs to hook up differently for each option.
Direct monitoring is usually selected from the audio interface itself (or its software mixer), whereas track monitoring is selected in your DAW.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 07-29-2014, 01:52 PM

heres what i meant. I meant if i plug in my headphones to the audio interface what i am hearing is that what its going to sound like in a mp3 or cd?
Old 07-30-2014, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicianvw View Post
heres what i meant. I meant if i plug in my headphones to the audio interface what i am hearing is that what its going to sound like in a mp3 or cd?
If you mean when playing an MP3 or CD on your computer and listening with the same headphones, then yes. But you need to learn how mix so that your final mixes sound good when played on any sound system (headphones give a very different interpretation).

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 07-31-2014, 02:20 PM

These should do the job nicely:

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_i...seq=1&format=2

The secret to life is enjoying the passage of time.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD