The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 11-16-2023, 05:38 AM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY
Default Studio Desks

I really need something that works for me. They all seem a compromise. I need to be able to have a synthesizer keyboard and a drawer for a computer keyboard. When I look at the desks online, the computer keyboard is beneath where the synthesizer would be. I also need to use the computer keyboard for things other than music. How functional is it to have the comptuer keyboard just about sitting in your lap?

There are no places within a few hour drive of me that has a studio desk set up, so I could sit and try it out. I'm even thinking of flying out to Sweetwater in Indiana to try one out. Thanks.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon
Old 11-16-2023, 08:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenB View Post
How functional is it to have the comptuer keyboard just about sitting in your lap?
That's going to vary wildly depending on each individual. Without even trying it, I know I couldn't function that way.

The computer keyboard and midi controller (synth keyboard) thing is something I struggled with for years. The best solution for me was to get a second computer monitor that I set up to mirror the main monitor. That allowed me to put my midi controller to one side. When I need to work on it, I just move my wireless computer keyboard and mouse over a couple of feet and I'm good to go.

This is my current setup minus that PC on the floor on the left. That's gone and the Mac Studio on the desk runs everything.

2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 11-16-2023, 11:04 AM
Charter Member

Currently, my living room is also my recording room. The ability to move and or set up recording gear easily is important.

A possible solution to your needs is a Keyboard stand with wheels. I can move easily move keyboard out of the way in three second. Pushing it back four feet towards the hallway completely out of the line of traffic. And then pull it back in the same 3 seconds when I am ready to use. It has really worked out great for me. The cost is under $100 for a good stand with wheels.

I have since added acoustic treatment..but this first picture demonstrates where my keyboard is located when in use. A small inexpensive second flat small monitor can also be mounted onto the stand. Or, you can do as I do, just swivel in my computer chair.

Old 11-16-2023, 01:01 PM

Quote:
I really need something that works for me. They all seem a compromise. I need to be able to have a synthesizer keyboard and a drawer for a computer keyboard. When I look at the desks online, the computer keyboard is beneath where the synthesizer would be. I also need to use the computer keyboard for things other than music. How functional is it to have the comptuer keyboard just about sitting in your lap?

There are no places within a few hour drive of me that has a studio desk set up, so I could sit and try it out. I'm even thinking of flying out to Sweetwater in Indiana to try one out. Thanks.
Following ergonomics, the keys of a piano can usually be found to be at about 30"; a computer keyboard 26".
Old 11-17-2023, 08:30 AM
Charter Member

First being a life long carpenter I was able to DYI my studio desk and hardware rack

But Like Jim and AD I found what has worked for me is to have the Midi keyboard on it's own stand off to the left side (I use a roller/swivel style office chair (second photo) so I can just swivel to face the midi keyboard and swivel back for the computer keyboard )

The computer keyboard sits on a slide out type drawer (with the typical kitchen drawer slide mechanism mounted to underside of desk surface ) with my displays sitting on a raised section that houses my passive speaker, amplifier

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2024.3 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 11-17-2023 at 08:49 AM.
Old 11-17-2023, 12:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
But Like Jim and AD I found what has worked for me is to have the Midi keyboard on it's own stand off to the left side (I use a roller/swivel style office chair (second photo) so I can just swivel to face the midi keyboard and swivel back for the computer keyboard )
You are so right, I had not realized that all three of us are basically using the same approach for our keyboards. Just slightly different variations.

One of the issues I have been procrastinating on is getting a keyboard cover to keep out the dust. The problem is, the ones I have seen are stretch over and would take a little time and effort to cover and uncover each time. That is inhibiting for a lazy guy like me. So I have been just leaving it uncovered.

But I like your approach to this problem...an artful decor blanket. Think I am going to have to do the same. Another great solution Kev! It seems you got a million of them.
Old 11-17-2023, 12:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcousticDreams View Post
One of the issues I have been procrastinating on is getting a keyboard cover to keep out the dust. The problem is, the ones I have seen are stretch over and would take a little time and effort to cover and uncover each time. That is inhibiting for a lazy guy like me. So I have been just leaving it uncovered.
I just bought one and it's a pita to put on. I like the blanket idea as well but I don't think it would work well for me currently since my keyboard is on the desk rather than a stand. Down the road though...
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 11-17-2023, 03:58 PM
Charter Member

Hey thanks that cover is actually an extra western style saddle blanket that we never used on the horses. So it is a soft but fairly thick yet tight weave and does well keeping the dust out.

But I can cut someone a deal on this slightly used quilted red one, and ya can't see the sweat stains from top side

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 11-17-2023 at 04:11 PM.
Old 11-17-2023, 04:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Hey thanks that cover is actually an extra western style saddle blanket that we never used on the horses. So it is a soft but fairly thick yet tight weave and does well keeping the dust out.

But I can cut someone a deal on this slightly used quilted red one, and ya can't see the sweat stains from top side
Thanks to you KevWind, I have Gone absolutely bonkers in the last couple of hours searching for Southwest Rugs.

I think I am going to buy this wool rug for my Guitar table. Instead of a black mat, I will use this rug when I am making new nuts or string changing. The Table next to the Piano. This 20 by 40 inch wool rug is $60. I rarely work on my guitars, so I think I will enjoy having this pretty design on the table when not in use. But even in use...I think my guitar will be plenty happy on such a pretty design.

And for my keyboard...which is 53 inches long...I will probably get this one made of Cotton( for easy fold up and storage) 13 inches wide by 60 inches for $13

Still debating on if I want cotton, or spend the extra money on a wool rug for keyboard. I have a felling the cotton one won't look great in person. Won't have the authentic / won't have that textured look that wool has. But it sure will be easy to manage.
Old 11-18-2023, 12:01 PM
Charter Member

Here is the Keyboard stand I bought. Small wheels but slides perfectly with no problems so far.

the platform is pretty wide at 16 inches. Wider than I need as my keyboard is only 10 inches wide. But that does not bother me at all. The extra space can be used to loop headphones around...or mount other things too. And allows you to position you keyboard for the right balance and spacing for you needs. Or you could just cut them. $78 on Amazon. And it appears they now come in four colors- Black /Silver / Turquoise & Purple

https://www.amazon.com/Plixio-Piano-...L0qPD_BwE&th=1
Old 11-18-2023, 05:09 PM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY

Lots of good thoughts here. Kevwind, when you play your keyboard, you have to swivel around to see the computer monitors? Some of what I do is arranging for choruses, so swiveling wouldn't be a good idea for me. I must say, this looks like an elegant and functional arrangement. Being a life long carpenter is a huge help for designing a working, comfortable studio. Jim and Acoustic Dreams, nice recording environments.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon
Old 11-18-2023, 05:55 PM

I don't do keyboards, but I'd think that there could be a "compromise height" in a pull out shelf.

When I built my multi-purpose desk I assigned shelf heights based on what I was using at the time. Over several years it's been torn down and re-built several times to suit whatever needs I have currently. The top bridge is removable, so that part has changed in height, width, AND length several times, too.

My S.O. sews, so she has made custom fit dust covers for my multi-trackers and also for mics that I want to leave out in their shock mounts.

Old 11-18-2023, 10:47 PM
Charter Member

Default Check Out Gearspace - 'Studio Building' Site

Aloha KarenB,

I put together several custom studio's that worked well for my recording needs.

The Gearspace 'Studio Building' site provided many ideas & great discussions with other home recordists & studio pro's who were at different levels of studio building & acoustic knowledge in terms of building their own custom recording spaces. Lotsa DIY tips & ideas.

https://gearspace.com/board/studio-building-acoustics/

Though my interests were primarily acoustic instruments & vocal recording (with percussion & bass at times), I met many at that site who were into keyboard, electronic & synthesized music. Their studio designs reflected those particular recording interests.

Check out the many "keyboard studio" discussions over there & join in to get some great advice & ideas for your own custom studio. Here's an example:

https://gearspace.com/board/studio-b...acoustics.html

Using COMPLETE & customized Room Treatment (for keyboards' extended frequency range) is the key to control, maximization & consistency in your home recordings. Use OC 703 rigid fiberglass. Fully commit to it. KarenB.

Good Luck!

alohachris

Last edited by alohachris; 11-18-2023 at 11:04 PM.
Old 11-19-2023, 07:54 AM

When I was growing and figuring out my studio, I couldn't find a desk that met my needs. I ended up buying a relatively inexpensive desk off amazon. It was designed as an adjustable height standup desk. I ended up keeping it at the lowest setting. As I have added gear I reinforced the bridge and the entire thing to the floor with 2x4s or whatever. Still working great. I even looked recently to see what else was out there, but nothing else really fits what I wanna do and the gear I have with the footprint and workflow I want.

The image below is from over a year ago, but it hasn't changed much (maybe a couple of upgrades). It is usually a little messy like this, because I am usually working on something. . Also not shown is a a small patch bay right behind my laptop.

Larrivee: CS09 Matt Thomas Limited
Taylor: 314ce, 356e, Baritone 8
Timberline: T60HGc

Last edited by j3ffr0; 11-19-2023 at 08:08 AM. Reason: added image
Old 11-19-2023, 08:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Lots of good thoughts here. Kevwind, when you play your keyboard, you have to swivel around to see the computer monitors? Some of what I do is arranging for choruses, so swiveling wouldn't be a good idea for me. I must say, this looks like an elegant and functional arrangement. Being a life long carpenter is a huge help for designing a working, comfortable studio. Jim and Acoustic Dreams, nice recording environments.
Well everyones workflow is different so there is that. For me personally when recording midi I don't really need to look at the computer displays much, what little I do look at them can be done by simply turning my head (without swiveling my chair) to glance at the display . Also note for recording I use an iPad app to control my DAW transport so I don't need to be right at the computer keyboard keys to use the DAW . Now if thought I needed to look at the display continuously I can always rotate the right side of the midi keyboard around and agin just use the DAW control app on my iPad

In this video you can see the iPad sitting on top of my electric guitar amp (right side of screen) because I am back about 6 or 7 ft from the recording desk.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Last edited by KevWind; 11-19-2023 at 08:30 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD