The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 11-07-2023, 07:44 AM
Charter Member

Default Logic Pro 10.8 update

I just "updated" this and they've added a Mastering Assistant plugin. The name itself has a whiff of iZotope about it, but I didn't read the fine print - I'll check on that later. But, my real quick test of it has it showing some very unintelligent choices, and extremely limited options to twist dials in any meaningful way. My little mix of a mandolin duo, originally -2.2 peak and -19.2dB LUFS got turned into a sausage with a peak of -9dB and LUFS of -14dB. So, maybe it'll work for you, but I'm sticking with my older version of Ozone...

Also, in the FWIW category, I did a quick read the short webpage on it, and at least one of the features in it only works on Apple silicon. (I am running on a new Mini, M2 Pro.)
Old 11-08-2023, 08:36 AM
Eric Skye

Personally I'm very happy about the improvement in delay compensation for parallel processing. I like to run a compression and saturation track in parallel and Logic would sometimes do this perfectly, and other times (on the same project) create very obvious phase. This is a very welcome fix.
Old 11-08-2023, 09:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by min7b5 View Post
Personally I'm very happy about the improvement in delay compensation for parallel processing. I like to run a compression and saturation track in parallel and Logic would sometimes do this perfectly, and other times (on the same project) create very obvious phase. This is a very welcome fix.
I'll have to go review the full list of updates. I did note that they support 32-bit float projects (i.e., from your 32-bit float capable interface) now, which might be of interest to some folks here.
Old 11-08-2023, 10:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by min7b5 View Post
Always appreciate the Great info Eric!
I worry about updating. As sometimes there are small bugs that take time to work out( or so I hear ). So now that I know updating has a very real value in parallel processing delays times, I will update my logic.

Hmmm? I wonder if this also improves the delay compensation for Plug in's that have a mix control? Which essentially is a parallel processing. Hard for me to understand technically was is going on inside a plug in. But I would assume that a mix control on a plug in, and creating a parallel track for a plug in would would not effectively have the same delay problems? But then again...I do not really understand the digital highway.

What do you think?
Old 11-08-2023, 02:18 PM
Eric Skye

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcousticDreams View Post
... I wonder if this also improves the delay compensation for Plug in's that have a mix control? Which essentially is a parallel processing. Hard for me to understand technically was is going on inside a plug in...
I believe it's just about parallel tracks. Again, I have personally noticed this as problem for compression/saturation in particular - but not at all for time based parallel tracks like reverb sends. As for mix control within a plugin it's self, I can't see how this update would have affect that, but that's above my pay grade for sure.
Old 11-11-2023, 06:21 AM

I have tried the mastering assistant and I like it.

I think you have to be careful using the "Loudness" -
it`s easy to add to much compression...

I´m having fun choosing between "clear", "valve" and "transparent"
Good thing is that "0" on loudness according to Apple equals -14 LUFS.

These two tunes have gone through the mastering assistant with LUFS at about -14

https://soundcloud.com/orlunda/sets/bowl-of-tears

Lars

Last edited by dyna; 11-27-2023 at 04:56 AM. Reason: wrong thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD