The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 10-19-2023, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjFuzzyMcPickle View Post
I figured if we know we're already gonna jump to about 8-10 lines / inputs already 12-16 isn't that far fetched.

Appreciate the input as always!
Yep, no problem. Please keep in mind, however, where the extra channel inputs are very useful, by far, by far the advantage of the 16 (or 24) over the 12 is singularly the analog circuitry.
Old 10-20-2023, 01:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Hanna View Post
Yep, no problem. Please keep in mind, however, where the extra channel inputs are very useful, by far, by far the advantage of the 16 (or 24) over the 12 is singularly the analog circuitry.
Just ran into a potential problem. It does not appear that the Model 16 is a DAW device as well. Does that seem odd? Or maybe just doesn't work with Studio One 6
Old 10-20-2023, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Just ran into a potential problem. It does not appear that the Model 16 is a DAW device as well. Does that seem odd? Or maybe just doesn't work with Studio One 6
I use my Model 16 and my Model 24 as a USB Audio Interface with both Pro Tools and Studio One. It is an integral piece of my recording environment. They have the same internal interface as the Model 12. That information is wrong. Where did that come from?
Old 10-20-2023, 01:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I use my Model 16 and my Model 24 as a USB Audio Interface with both Pro Tools and Studio One. It is an integral piece of my recording environment. They have the same internal interface as the Model 12. That information is wrong. Where did that come from?
Well then I absolutely take your word for it. It was a couple weeks back when I first started to look into them. somewhere (thought it was a youtube vid shootout thing) where the guy was complaining about how the 16 had certain things it wouldn't do compared to the 12 and for some reason that or the presonus dropdown menu doesn't show it...can't remember at the moment.

UPDATE: I THINK I remember now sort of. Since I'm using this ancient (from like 2015) Audiobox 44VSL it took forever (and presonus tech was awesome btw) we had to go through a bunch of different versions of their Universal control app to with it - make them connect etc. But somewhere in there or because of that version it's not showing me the 16 as an option only the 12. I THINK when I dump my 44VSL and update that universal control set of drivers / app whatever it is, then the model 16 will be a drop down standard. This might make Zero sense hence my title of this thread.

Last edited by DjFuzzyMcPickle; 10-20-2023 at 01:54 PM.
Old 10-20-2023, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Well then I absolutely take your word for it. It was a couple weeks back when I first started to look into them. somewhere (thought it was a youtube vid shootout thing) where the guy was complaining about how the 16 had certain things it wouldn't do compared to the 12 and for some reason that or the presonus dropdown menu doesn't show it...can't remember at the moment.

UPDATE: I THINK I remember now sort of. Since I'm using this ancient (from like 2015) Audiobox 44VSL it took forever (and presonus tech was awesome btw) we had to go through a bunch of different versions of their Universal control app to with it - make them connect etc. But somewhere in there or because of that version it's not showing me the 16 as an option only the 12. I THINK when I dump my 44VSL and update that universal control set of drivers / app whatever it is, then the model 16 will be a drop down standard. This might make Zero sense hence my title of this thread.
When I get a moment later today I'll give you my thoughts but for now know that the Model 16 is a killer DAW interface while having the enormous advantage of a great, old-school, analog mixer!

EDIT and thinking this through a bit. If, in fact, you were referring to the Model 16 as being unable to work with a DAW, and by unable you mean it (Model 16) to be a "Control Surface" you are correct. The Model 12 (being digital) is capable of running under the old HUI protocol. Therefore on a limited basis, the Model 12 can function as a control surface, while the Model 16 can not.

Last edited by Joseph Hanna; 10-20-2023 at 02:29 PM.
Old 10-20-2023, 03:12 PM
Charter Member

[QUOTE=DjFuzzyMcPickle;7340400]Well then I absolutely take your word for it. [QUOTE] Just so ya know I looked at the manual for the Tascam 16
Features
14 input analog mixer with 14 line and 10 mic inputs
Multitrack recording and playback with 16-track recording
(14 input channels and MAIN MIX L/R bus)
USB audio interface functions built-in
16 tracks (14 input channels and MAIN MIX L/R bus) can
be input to the computer

14 track outputs and computer outputs can be assigned
to channel inputs
Supports USB 2.0 audio with resolutions up to 24-bit and
48kHz sampling frequency

Also be aware that the model 16 is not 16 input channels

It has:
1-8 are mono mic/line input channels
9/10 and 11/12 are stereo input channels but can be used as two mono channels
13/14 are RCA mini jacks
and 15/16 are the main outs
so if you may need more that 10 input channels you may want to look at the 24

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2024.3 Sonoma 14.4
Old 10-20-2023, 03:18 PM

[QUOTE=KevWind;7340451][QUOTE=DjFuzzyMcPickle;7340400]Well then I absolutely take your word for it.
Quote:
Just so ya know I looked at the manual for the Tascam 16
Features
14 input analog mixer with 14 line and 10 mic inputs
Multitrack recording and playback with 16-track recording
(14 input channels and MAIN MIX L/R bus)
USB audio interface functions built-in
16 tracks (14 input channels and MAIN MIX L/R bus) can
be input to the computer

14 track outputs and computer outputs can be assigned
to channel inputs
Supports USB 2.0 audio with resolutions up to 24-bit and
48kHz sampling frequency

Also be aware that the model 16 is not 16 input channels

It has:
1-8 are mono mic/line input channels
9/10 and 11/12 are stereo input channels but can be used as two mono channels
13/14 are RCA mini jacks
and 15/16 are the main outs
so if you may need more that 10 input channels you may want to look at the 24
Kev,

I beginning to think what McPickle is referring to is an interface that also serves as a control surface. That is not the Model 16 or 24, nor would it be the intended market target.
Old 10-20-2023, 03:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Kev,

I beginning to think what McPickle is referring to is an interface that also serves as a control surface. That is not the Model 16 or 24, nor would it be the intended market target.
Oh I did not take it that he was looking specifically for a control surface function per se, so much as just looking to use the mixer as a DAW interface ???

but admit I was/ am confused as to what he means talking about the Presonus guy using different versions of the Universal control app to " make them connect" So I guess the question is ----"them" what, exactly ?
Because if he talking about connecting his two amps going in DI to the Audio Box I am unclear as why the Control app would be involved ??????

Maybe I am just confusing things worse ??

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 10-20-2023 at 08:13 PM.
Old 10-20-2023, 04:02 PM
Charter Member

[QUOTE=KevWind;7340467][QUOTE=Joseph Hanna;7340456]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post

Oh I did not take it that he was looking specifically for a control surface function per se, so much as just looking to use the mixer as a DAW interface ???

but admit I was/ am confused as to what he means talking about the Presonus guy using different versions of the Universal control app to " make them connect" So I guess the question is ----"them" what, exactly ?
Because if he talking about connecting his two amps going in DI to the Audio Box I am unclear as why the Control app would be involved ??????

Maybe I am just confusing things worse ??
No you're both on the right general track. Due to my hand injury that some may remember, the function as a desktop DAW interface as well as a potentially live mixer was what I liked about the 12 to begin with.

As far as the Presonus guy (their online support has been quite awesome) what I meant (and I hope I'm explaining this stuff right not to drive ya'll nutz). BECAUSE my Audiobox 44vsl that I currently use it so outdated we had to use a much older version of the Universal control (the drivers) as anything newer wouldn't work with most operating systems past about 2016-18. In doing so those older drivers for that unit to work just aren't showing anything but the Model 12 as an DAW interface. (it's not showing the 16 or 24 as options). I'm told by the presonus dudes that if I were to get the 16 or 24 (or essentially ANY other more current interface of theirs or Focusrite etc) the newer version drivers with Studio One should see those in the drop down menu??

Screenshot (35).jpg
Old 10-20-2023, 04:16 PM

Quote:

No you're both on the right general track. Due to my hand injury that some may remember, the function as a desktop DAW interface as well as a potentially live mixer was what I liked about the 12 to begin with.

As far as the Presonus guy (their online support has been quite awesome) what I meant (and I hope I'm explaining this stuff right not to drive ya'll nutz). BECAUSE my Audiobox 44vsl that I currently use it so outdated we had to use a much older version of the Universal control (the drivers) as anything newer wouldn't work with most operating systems past about 2016-18. In doing so those older drivers for that unit to work just aren't showing anything but the Model 12 as an DAW interface. (it's not showing the 16 or 24 as options). I'm told by the presonus dudes that if I were to get the 16 or 24 (or essentially ANY other more current interface of theirs or Focusrite etc) the newer version drivers with Studio One should see those in the drop down menu??
I find the "drivers" for the Tascam very robust. I plugged in a USB cable and both Pro Tools and Studio One recognized the Tascam immediately. I did, however, have to configure and save the i/O in both DAW's. Just so we're on the same page, though. The Model 12 is a digital device that can act as a control surface. It does ask to run under the HUI protocol, which is of course, pretty outdated by now, so functions as a control surface are a tad limited. You will get basic fader-to-fader control ect.

The Model 16 and 24 are nothing more than a built-in D/A i/o converter attached to an analog mixing environment. There are no available control surface capabilities. For the record, and hopefully not mudding the waters, I have a PreSonus Fader Port 16 that represents everything in Studio One. Virtually anything I can do with a mouse can be replaced on the Fader Port. I mix (faders) on the Fader Port 16 and send sub-mixes from Studio One to the Model 24 for an analog summing environment.
Old 10-20-2023, 04:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I find the "drivers" for the Tascam very robust. I plugged in a USB cable and both Pro Tools and Studio One recognized the Tascam immediately. I did, however, have to configure and save the i/O in both DAW's. Just so we're on the same page, though. The Model 12 is a digital device that can act as a control surface. It does ask to run under the HUI protocol, which is of course, pretty outdated by now, so functions as a control surface are a tad limited. You will get basic fader-to-fader control ect.

The Model 16 and 24 are nothing more than a built-in D/A i/o converter attached to an analog mixing environment. There are no available control surface capabilities. For the record, and hopefully not mudding the waters, I have a PreSonus Fader Port 16 that represents everything in Studio One. Virtually anything I can do with a mouse can be replaced on the Fader Port. I mix (faders) on the Fader Port 16 and send sub-mixes from Studio One to the Model 24 for an analog summing environment.
I believe you are now getting to something else the other gentleman was talking about in the youtube vid and some of this is making some sense to me. I was also just on the presonus site as well a few minutes ago. So heres my parameters again, any input on similar options always appreciated.

Simple recording goals 1st yr or so. 2-3 piece at most times, we can definitely get by with 12 Channel I'm sure. recording simple acoustic covers for our own practice and to learn some basic recording skills set. The device will almost never leave if ever this desktop area. Mobility as a small live mixer as well a bonus not a requirement. As much functionality with DAW Presonus Studio One as possible as I'm JUST learning the basics on this one. Starting over learning something new is not an option or need that I can see. If there is something in that Presonus line you would recommend by all means I'm all ears. I'm very confident in general Acoustic Guitar knowledge, Amps, PA etc. Recording is a whole new world for me. That being said as much as i even do understand very much the difference between analog vs digital quality, I'm wondering for our application is this a necessity for our needs

MAybe something along the lines of this: https://www.presonus.com/en-US/mixer...779200102.html

Last edited by DjFuzzyMcPickle; 10-20-2023 at 05:12 PM.
Old 10-20-2023, 05:26 PM

Quote:
I believe you are now getting to something else the other gentleman was talking about in the youtube vid and some of this is making some sense to me. I was also just on the presonus site as well a few minutes ago. So heres my parameters again, any input on similar options always appreciated.

Simple recording goals 1st yr or so. 2-3 piece at most times, we can definitely get by with 12 Channel I'm sure. recording simple acoustic covers for our own practice and to learn some basic recording skills set. The device will almost never leave if ever this desktop area. Mobility as a small live mixer as well a bonus not a requirement. As much functionality with DAW Presonus Studio One as possible as I'm JUST learning the basics on this one. Starting over learning something new is not an option or need that I can see. If there is something in that Presonus line you would recommend by all means I'm all ears. I'm very confident in general Acoustic Guitar knowledge, Amps, PA etc. Recording is a whole new world for me. That being said as much as i even do understand very much the difference between analog vs digital quality, I'm wondering for our application is this a necessity for our needs

MAybe something along the lines of this: https://www.presonus.com/en-US/mixer...779200102.html

Yes the PreSonus 16c is a great unit. It's similar in nature to the Tascam although I'd argue if you're in Studio One as a DAW the 16c would probably be a better bet. Certainly more compatible. I don't think you could go wrong there!
Old 10-20-2023, 05:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yes the PreSonus 16c is a great unit. It's similar in nature to the Tascam although I'd argue if you're in Studio One as a DAW the 16c would probably be a better bet. Certainly more compatible. I don't think you could go wrong there!
Oh that makes complete sense. One would think functionality and general everything would be seemless.
Old 10-20-2023, 08:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Ah just did some research and finally figured out why you talking about the Universal control app for the interface drivers. Because the Presonus Universal Control app, is not only a Control surface app (for use like what Joseph is talking about an outboard surface to control the DAW functions)

BUT it is apparently also a Driver management app. So what you were talking about needing to use it to get the drivers for your old interface makes much more sense now....

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 10-20-2023, 08:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Ah just did some research and finally figured out why you talking about the Universal control app for the interface drivers. Because the Presonus Universal Control app, is not only a Control surface app (for use like what Joseph is talking about an outboard surface to control the DAW functions)

BUT it is apparently also a Driver management app. So what you were talking about needing to use it to get the drivers for your old interface makes much more sense now....
EXXXXAAAAACCCTLY!!

Holy smokes...this stuff is starting to make sense. and I'm realllly diggin the presonus version now we talked about above. Seems to be the perfect balance of analog front side to digital out and obviously perfect for Studio One 6.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD