The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 10-14-2023, 07:07 PM

Default First mic, what would you suggest as a budget option?

I've just started to record myself and play around with Garageband. It's good fun but I quite obviously need a mic better than the Apple earphone one.

I tend to move around a lot so I'd like a small setup. I'm not sure if I should go the USB route, or XLR and small audio interface route. Similarly no idea about dynamic vs condenser, large vs small diaphragm etc. My playing style is 80% fingerpicking if that might be important and it's just guitar work, nothing else so I image a mic with fairly low noise is important for this. Budget is $150 all together.

Some popular options seem to be the SM57 and AKG P170. Any thoughts would be great, thanks.
Old 10-14-2023, 07:22 PM

The SM57 is a great place to start for microphones. It probably won't be your last, but it will let you learn a lot while using an industry standard.

The nicest thing about SM57 for general purpose use: Price.

Although many of us who have experience prefer other microphones, that's often because we learned that something else gave us a 10% improvement.
Or we discovered our specific need (that other people do not share) requires something different (i.e. a condensor or a ribbon).

It can give you a perfectly acceptable sound on many instruments and voices, so for a first microphone it is quite versatile.

That said, I do not *currently* own any dynamic microphones (my specific needs to not include them). I'll bet someone else will be able to suggest a low-cost alternative.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 10-15-2023, 02:40 AM

you might check this one out (i haven't used it):

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/product...gacousticstage
Old 10-15-2023, 06:44 AM
Charter Member

If you go the USB route I've had good luck with a Blue Snowball.
Old 10-15-2023, 07:58 AM

For XLR to get great sound on a budget, I highly recommend the MXL V67G mic. I have compared mine to AKG C414 mics and they are very close in sound. I recorded my CD using the MXL mics and it sounds great.
https://www.sweetwater.com/c105--Con...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

My website:
http://draudio56.wix.com/warren-bendler

"It's hard...calming the Beatle inside of me."
Old 10-15-2023, 08:35 AM

I'd probably look at a condenser mic. With some careful mic placement and technique you could record both guitar and voice in one shot.
Gibson J200
Furch MC Yellow Gc-CR SPA
Guild G212
Eastman E2OM-CD
Old 10-15-2023, 10:30 PM

At that price point you're looking at a USB mic like the Audio-Technica AT2020USB.

You don't have enough budget to get a decent interface plus a decent (non-USB) condenser.

1927 Martin 00-21
1986 Fender Strat
1987 Ibanez RG560
1988 Fender Fretless J Bass
1991 Washburn HB-35s
1995 Taylor 812ce
1996 Taylor 510c (custom)
1996 Taylor 422-R (Limited Edition)
1997 Taylor 810-WMB (Limited Edition)
1998 Taylor 912c (Custom)
2019 Fender Tele
Old 10-15-2023, 10:49 PM

Duple is right, and there’s no reason to go beyond. Get a large diaphram condenser mic that goes to usb (you can get an adapter if you’re using an ipad, many come with one). If you Google it, the one that always comes in at the top is Blue, either the snowball or Yeti. Rhode Nt-usb is always up there.
An sm57 is a grewt choice for live music or recording with a full studio, but it won’t be useful for home recording straight to Garageband- you wont even be able to plug it in.
Youll read a lot about a sterio pair of small diaphragm mics, which works for guitar, too. However, that’s already getting into more equipment. For pure yummy sound, simplicity, and ability to do voice or record the room, the large diaphragm USB is the way to go. You can definitely do it for $150.
Larrivee Parlor Koa Special Edition
https://soundclick.com/kiphendryandtheonestarhotel
Old 10-18-2023, 03:34 AM
Charter Member

In that budget range, you could get a very capable USB as mentioned. In fact, you might go with a cheaper USB dynamic, and put your savings in a fund for eventual upgrades. At the entry level, the final difference between mics will be almost negligible.
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 10-18-2023, 03:55 AM

For that budget, I'd be tempted by something like a Zoom H2n. It is a standalone recorder with a multi-pattern condenser mic (which does stereo, and I like stereo for fingerstyle recording).

It's a small device, similar in size to an SM57. You record onto the device, onto a memory card, then transfer to your computing device (either using a USB cable, or by taking the card out).

There's a little learning curve to setting it up, and you have to transfer the recording to garage band, but the fact it can record stereo is probably worth it. Also, once the recording is in garage band, you can play with it just like a direct recording (I think!).

Tom
Old 10-18-2023, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdlwhite View Post
For that budget, I'd be tempted by something like a Zoom H2n. It is a standalone recorder with a multi-pattern condenser mic (which does stereo, and I like stereo for fingerstyle recording).

It's a small device, similar in size to an SM57. You record onto the device, onto a memory card, then transfer to your computing device (either using a USB cable, or by taking the card out).

There's a little learning curve to setting it up, and you have to transfer the recording to garage band, but the fact it can record stereo is probably worth it. Also, once the recording is in garage band, you can play with it just like a direct recording (I think!).

Tom
THIS.

Since you state that you "move around a lot" I'd suggest you go for a portable recorder and use it with a microphone stand with boom arm for easy positioning. That setup and a good pair of headphones will get you a long way towards your goal. I use a Tascam DR-05 for this purpose and really like it.

I sometimes use that exact setup to do a quick n' dirty song example to send out to band mates before we get together to go through new material.

Old 10-18-2023, 09:41 AM

A USB mic would probably work great for you. I don't have one -- I was involved in this stuff before that was a thing -- but I've worked on pro-level productions where a player contributed overdubbed parts done at home with a Blue Yeti and they sound great. I've even done a couple things where it was a "band" production on top of a lead vocal and acoustic guitar tracked with a Shure USB mic in the guy's backyard. The thing that matters most in these cases is the acoustic qualities of the room (or backyard) you do it in.

Couch Standards
Old 10-19-2023, 10:03 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Out of curiosity I had purchased a pair of SM57s. They aren't bad at all. The detail you get from more expensive condenser mics isn't there, but at the same time some details you don't want, like finger movement noises, body movement etc. The dynamics are a little deaf in that area I have found, which is good, at least for me.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 11-02-2023, 09:58 AM

The all-purpose industry standard is the Shure SM58. I'd start with that because:

- the price is right.
- they work well for most vocal and instrumental purposes.
- they're rugged.
- sound techs are familiar with them.
Old 11-02-2023, 01:33 PM
Charter Member

Remember that with these non-USB mics, like a SM57 or SM58, the OP's going to need an audio interface - it doesn't sound like he has one. So that blows the $150 budget right there. If $150 is it, a USB mic is the most realistic option.

The USB option does limit future upgrades - as far as I know you can't use 2 USB mics on most computers, so you can't go stereo, or go for separate guitar/vocal mics later on with that route. If you think you'll be expanding what you want to do in the future, then maybe raising that budget enough to cover at least a budget audio interface and a budget mic might be worthwhile. Don't forget you may need a mic stand, cables, and so on.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD