The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 10-26-2023, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
The downside to using ribbons for the home recordist has been pointed out, but you can get the full story from the microphone use podcasts from Doug Fearn's "My take on recording".

Another thing you might consider is using two cardiod pattern LDCs configured to pick up the vocal and instrument while rejecting the other as much as possible. Joe Gilder's Youtube video demonstrates this technique that ends up being pretty effective.

I've done close to that, maybe I need to try to get it closer to what the video shows. Thanks.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 10-27-2023, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzardwhiskey View Post
Thank you. I'm slowly getting better. Here's another of my tunes, recorded today, using a Roswell K67x on vocals and an Earthworks SR40V on the guitar.

https://youtu.be/yTJDpVWPPuE?si=7Mx8iswLUfC5evK3
The vocals sound much better on this one IMO! I'm referring to just the sound and not the performance. Great singing on both!
Old 10-27-2023, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyb View Post
The vocals sound much better on this one IMO! I'm referring to just the sound and not the performance. Great singing on both!
Thank you, Kelly. When I now listen to it, I'm painfully aware that the second one has lots more reverb. Too much for the aesthetic I was aiming at. Which really illustrates a point. Hehe...
Old 10-31-2023, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzardwhiskey View Post
Thank you, Kelly. When I now listen to it, I'm painfully aware that the second one has lots more reverb. Too much for the aesthetic I was aiming at. Which really illustrates a point. Hehe...
There's powerful earnestness in the performance...you could double the reverb and add flanger and it'd still be powerful to me.
Old 11-02-2023, 08:18 PM

Hey great job both on the recording and the song! I love my ribbons and multi pattern tube condenser for figure 8 style separation. That being said what you have here sounds great!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD