The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 12-02-2012, 09:55 AM

I thought the point of hide glue was that you can easily disassemble when needed? Much harder with modern glues.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfsark View Post
I thought the point of hide glue was that you can easily disassemble when needed? Much harder with modern glues.
It is. No-one is doubting that.
Yamaha CPX-700/12
Yamaha LS16
Yamaha FG-300
Yamaha FG-580
Vox V2000-DR

+ electric guitars..
Old 12-03-2012, 07:52 AM

I built my first classical guitar about 20 years ago. This is the prehistoric days before duh Internet. Of course we still had books and a huge bulky LMI catalog. So some how I got it in my head that hide glue was superior and oh hey look I can just go down to the hardware store and get some instead of buying a kettle and mixing up one eye of newt and a lizard tongue like the old artisans of Espaņa have been for centuries. Easy peasy.

I'd never do it again but so far this guitar has held up pretty good and it has been through some tough times.

But anyway, it's not recommended for obvious reasons as stated in this thread. I may have been lucky and got a nice fresh batch. The Old Brown Glue gets mixed reviews and so I don't use that either. If you want hide you just got to make the plunge and do it right IMHO.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
I built my first classical guitar about 20 years ago. This is the prehistoric days before duh Internet. Of course we still had books and a huge bulky LMI catalog. So some how I got it in my head that hide glue was superior and oh hey look I can just go down to the hardware store and get some instead of buying a kettle and mixing up one eye of newt and a lizard tongue like the old artisans of Espaņa have been for centuries. Easy peasy.

I'd never do it again but so far this guitar has held up pretty good and it has been through some tough times.

But anyway, it's not recommended for obvious reasons as stated in this thread. I may have been lucky and got a nice fresh batch. The Old Brown Glue gets mixed reviews and so I don't use that either. If you want hide you just got to make the plunge and do it right IMHO.
I know what you mean, but on a point of definition (in case someone is getting confused by your usage of the term), it's all 'hide glue' that we're talking about, it's just that one is 'premixed' in a squeezy plastic bottle and the other comes as 'pearls' to melt and prep in the time honoured fashion.
Yamaha CPX-700/12
Yamaha LS16
Yamaha FG-300
Yamaha FG-580
Vox V2000-DR

+ electric guitars..
Old 12-03-2012, 09:00 AM

Another possible option is fish glue. It's primary disadvantage is that it has a very long clamping time. But, it also has a long open time and a high initial tack - no sliding around. Some have used this for certain components in instrument making and have been pleased with it. Keep in mind that some folks use a variety of adhesives on a single instrument. I've started to experiment with it and am thinking of using it for bindings. (Just imagine no hurry, no pressure installing bindings.)

Old 12-03-2012, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post
Another possible option is fish glue. It's primary disadvantage is that it has a very long clamping time. But, it also has a long open time and a high initial tack - no sliding around. Some have used this for certain components in instrument making and have been pleased with it. Keep in mind that some folks use a variety of adhesives on a single instrument. I've started to experiment with it and am thinking of using it for bindings. (Just imagine no hurry, no pressure installing bindings.)

Any experience on its strength? for example, a bridge? I've already made the decision to use hide glue pearls for that, but maybe for the future if it's strong..
Yamaha CPX-700/12
Yamaha LS16
Yamaha FG-300
Yamaha FG-580
Vox V2000-DR

+ electric guitars..
Old 12-03-2012, 11:10 AM

Yeah I think a lot of builders use a mix of adhesives. I've been using more and more CA in guitar building these days. The last 3 guitars I used CA on the bindings and I love it because it's so quick. I'd hate to have to wait 24 hours for binding to dry.

Steve, fish glue is time tested and proven. It cleans up real easy, tacks well, and doesn't leave a glue line on crack repairs and that sort of thing.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair