The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 09-16-2017, 08:10 PM

Default Played a David Wren 1983 prototype

An early Martin style dread, Sitka/Indian Rosewood, and what a great sound! Not a household name here in the states. Loud, powerful sound, with the nicest 1 3/4 neck I have played. (I'm a 1 11/16 guy). Anxious to go back and play it again. My local shop got in on a trade from a Torontonian. Beautiful shape after 35 years, and obviously built to last. No belly, or top shrinkage pulling the fret board down where it meets the body. Must have had the right amount of bracing to let it sing, while not folding in on itself. Something I've noted on some of the lighter built dreads I have played. I love these special discovery outings!
Old 09-16-2017, 10:28 PM
Charter Member

David's guitars are just silly-good...idve loved to play that. I can never seem to find 1 3/4 nut width dreads. Hope ya snag it

-Award-winning songwriter/guitarist, Visual storyteller
-D’Addario, G7th and K&K Sound Artist
-Music on Spotify, Apple Music and YouTube: www.youtube.com/dustinfurlow
-New album "Serene" (Oct '23) and tablature
available at www.dustinfurlow.com
Old 09-17-2017, 05:55 AM

Most of Martin's new dreads are 1 3/4 The new D-18 ( I sold mine, not realizing that I couldn't live with the 1 3/4 width, and performance shape.) All of Taylor's above the 2 series are 1 3/4. Odd thing is the Wren's neck was so nice, and I played a custom shop Telecaster I loved, that also had the 1 3/4 width. Go figure. I am excited to play the Wren again. Thanks.
Old 09-17-2017, 05:13 PM

And I think, if they were that good then, how good are they now with all the years of building???? Really really good I would guess!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop