The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 08-23-2017, 03:30 PM

Default Crack on bottom side of guitar [used just bought]

Hi everyone!

I just bought a 314ce used for what I believe to be a reasonable price. There is just this one crack at the bottom of the guitar I was aware of but after buying am becoming more concerned. Should I get this repaired? See below:

Also I have found that the guitar top is slightly curved/bloated out but it is not noticeable unless you put your eye at the level of the top and look carefully. Is this normal?
Old 08-23-2017, 03:56 PM

In the words of Norman Blake "never trust a guitar without a belly." It is absolutely normal for flattops. On the crack, if it goes through the wood then you should probably have it repaired. It is not a hard job and a fairly inexpensive fix.
Old 08-23-2017, 03:58 PM

The top doming is normal. That looks more like a scratch in the finish than a crack. If that's the case, it's purely cosmetic. Get it fixed if it bothers you, but finish repairs usually are not cheap.
et al
Old 08-23-2017, 04:02 PM

That doesn't look like a crack in the wood. Just a scuff on the finish. Structurally it's fine. I wouldn't get it repaired. I had a Taylor 355 for awhile, had those little marks in the finish on the sides as well.

And that slight "curved/bloated out" look is normal. There is a slight arch to flattop guitars (despite their namesake). Although it can go too far, depending on humidity. Here's a video by Bob Taylor about it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GS6GqjP-zMY
Old 08-23-2017, 04:08 PM

You saved yourself some money and the pain and anguish of putting the first ding in your guitar. Win-win.
Old 08-23-2017, 06:19 PM

To me, that looks much more like a ding or a gouge, not a crack. It does not follow the grain lines like a crack generally would. This can be sealed (but not invisibly) with a careful drop-fill of CA glue. Kids, don't try this at home - finish repairs are for the experienced.

The top could be swollen from excess humidity - we don't know where you are, or where the guitar came from. Or the guitar might have some "belly" to it (almost all flat-tops do, especially with a few years on them). It is a very common situation, and not a problem unless the bridge is starting to lift or top braces are coming unglued inside.

And welcome! Join date of NOV 2016, and this is your first post...
Old 08-23-2017, 07:00 PM

Yep. I would drop fill that with CA in a heart beat. You would never know it existed.

2023 Taylor AD22e
2001 Guild F47RCE

Certified Fretting Technician - Galloup School of Luthiery 2005
Guitar Builder/Tech
Old 08-23-2017, 11:17 PM

Just an impact, not a crack.
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE

Last edited by Kerbie; 10-26-2017 at 08:20 AM. Reason: Edited
Old 08-24-2017, 06:06 AM

I'd leave it alone.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Tags
crack repair, taylor 314ce, used guitar, used guitars