The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 06-23-2017, 12:06 PM
Charter Member

Default NTD (New Toys Day)

Since I got my, new to me, Larrivee L-05 the other day, I decided I needed to upgrade my recording stuff from the Samson USB mic to something a little better with more control but still keep on the cheap. I ended up ordering a pair of Behringer C-2 condenser mics and the Behringer UMC204HD USB interface. I know Behringer gets bad-mouthed a lot but all my experiences with the company's products have been very positive. I use a 1000 watt Behringer power amp in my PA using JBL cabs and it's been very reliable and sounds just great. Anyway, to the point: so far, with a few hours of messing with the stuff, downloading drivers, forgetting to turn on the phantom power (!!), etc., it seems that this setup will do exactly what I want it to do. I can output a .wav file backing track from BIAB to Audacity and record new acoustic guitar tracks over it, all the while monitoring what's going on through headphones and playing back through my existing Fostex powered monitor system and generating MP3 files to share. So far, so good.
Old 06-23-2017, 12:20 PM

What happened to the Focusrite USB interface you mentioned in another thread? It is pretty much identical functionally to the Behringer except the UMC204HD has extra phono outputs and an extra stereo bus output.

Just curious.
Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Special
Yamaha BB414 Bass

Last edited by paulp1960; 06-23-2017 at 12:22 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 06-23-2017, 12:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulp1960 View Post
What happened to the Focusrite USB interface you mentioned in another thread? It is pretty much identical functionally to the Behringer except the UMC204HD has extra phono outputs and an extra stereo bus output.

Just curious.
I read a few reviews where people talked about problems with the Focusrite drivers, plus, a friend mine has the single channel and is not particularly happy with it (reasons unknown) so I decided to take a chance on the Behringer which had very good reviews and I have had good luck with their gear.. So far, I haven't been disappointed - it's built very well and has all the ins and outs I'll ever need. However, the need for drivers was not mentioned (that I could find) in the enclosed Behringer literature, but knowing that I needed them, I went to the website, downloaded the .zip file and installed them with no hitches whatsoever.
Old 06-23-2017, 12:35 PM

I've got the RME Babyface on my main machine and the Behringer UMC202HD on my second machine. I like them both but the Behringer is great value for the money and allows you to record 2 electric guitars at once.

On the Apple OS you don't need a driver for the Behringer but you do on Windows. I know what you mean about Focusrite drivers. I have read quite a few problems with them on Windows.

I've never looked back since ditching Windows but I was using XP well past the sell by date.

I also use Band In A Box. I love it.
Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Special
Yamaha BB414 Bass
Old 06-23-2017, 12:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I've got the RME Babyface on my main machine and the Behringer UMC202HD on my second machine. I like them both but the Behringer is great value for the money and allows you to record 2 electric guitars at once.

On the Apple OS you don't need a driver for the Behringer but you do on Windows. I know what you mean about Focusrite drivers. I have read quite a few problems with them on Windows.

I've never looked back since ditching Windows but I was using XP well past the sell by date.

I still use XP on my laptops and love it. I keep them around because my old version of AutoCad won't run on Win 10. I'll probably set up one of the laptops with Audacity and the Behringer drivers in case I want to go portable at some point. I had planned to get the Behringer interface UMC404HD with 4 mic inputs but Sweetwater was out of it and I decided I probably wouldn't use the extra anyway. Seems to be a great value for the $$$ though.
Old 06-30-2017, 05:24 PM

Cool Computer Recording

Quote:

My Mac died and I'm stuck with Windows 10 Home.

So far all the DAWs I've downloaded installed without a hitch or glitch .
I get my Focusrite Scarlet 6i6 a week from tomorrow . I'll see then just how well Win 10 64 bit works .
I have research like all of you do and what I have learned through the years of watching
Focusrite products development over a few years now and seeing what works with my friends
and associates , the Focusrite's seem to keep pumping on and on great . I'm in a forum for
T.C. Helicon's Voice Live 3 X and monitor the Behringer forums . Lot's of angry guys there venting on the Behringer midi interface .

This 6i6 has a iphone app so it's not all that bad , but I do so hate Windows for audio recording .
For business accounting and stuff no issues with Windows , but midi sync with analog audio & Video . . .

Good luck on your recording I hope they come out terrific . I'll find out if I made the right choice soon enough heh heh heh .

EZ :

HR
Life has always been interesting to me

Old 06-30-2017, 05:42 PM
Charter Member

No issues recording with Windows, at least from Window 98 up to and including Windows 10. Have built a number of PCs and like the hardware options I can chose.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD