The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 06-09-2017, 08:07 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Default One last time....

One mic, at the lower bout about 6" away, no paper hat or aluminum foil alien detectors. I think this is better. I'm facing the corner, but if I move away and face the short side or better yet, when no one is home, open the french doors into the larger family room. I'll have to experiment more, but the lower bout seems much better than the 12th fret. The "open door" option is only available on weekends.
(Excuse the playing, I'm sight reading something for only the 3rd or 4th time I've read it.)

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 06-09-2017, 08:56 PM

Hi Barry....Nope, I don't think it has anywhere near the presence of the clip you did with the Rhode.....SECOND pass on June 5th.
Do you have examples of recordings you like the sound of that you're aiming for? I think it may reach into that kind of territory.......what your goals for the outcome of "your sound" are and what you want it to be.
I know from time to time you like and compliment some of my stuff...........and to get there, for me was nearly 6-7 years of messing around.....mics, mic pre amps, mic positioning, different thumb picks and strings, finger picks, different guitars, along with reading and getting reactions...... and then finally room treatment with the broad band panels (3) that everyone here has been discussing and also moving my recording space to another part of the house.
Just wanted to touch on that as I'm wondering if you do have a "sound goal" in mind....something identifiable to shoot for in what would be acceptable quality for you in presenting your playing.
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 06-09-2017, 09:01 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandguitar View Post
Hi Barry....Nope, I don't think it has anywhere near the presence of the clip you did with the Rhode.....SECOND pass on June 5th.
Do you have examples of recordings you like the sound of that you're aiming for? I think it may reach into that kind of territory.......what your goals for the outcome of "your sound" are and what you want it to be.
I know from time to time you like and compliment some of my stuff...........and to get there, for me was nearly 6-7 years of messing around.....mics, mic pre amps, mic positioning, different thumb picks and strings, finger picks, different guitars, along with reading and getting reactions...... and then finally room treatment with the broad band panels (3) that everyone here has been discussing and also moving my recording space to another part of the house.
Just wanted to touch on that as I'm wondering if you do have a "sound goal" in mind....something identifiable to shoot for in what would be acceptable quality for you in presenting your playing.
Thanks Fred. The 2nd Rode test was done facing away from the corner with mic at the 12th I believe. I'll go back to that and try the lower bout too.

I'm just trying to get a full sound, more guitar and less room.

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 06-10-2017, 07:39 PM
Charter Member

Default Try it in Stereo

Aloha Barry,

Lose the single mic approach. Try recording the same pieces in stereo with two mic's. Then buy 2-4 broadband absorbers & you're there, Barry. Instant Upgrade.

BTW, DIY broadband absorbers cost about $20-25 a piece to make. Purchased absorbers start at around $150 per panel. Do the math.

alohachris

Last edited by alohachris; 06-10-2017 at 07:44 PM.
Old 06-10-2017, 09:02 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by alohachris View Post
Aloha Barry,

Lose the single mic approach. Try recording the same pieces in stereo with two mic's. Then buy 2-4 broadband absorbers & you're there, Barry. Instant Upgrade.

BTW, DIY broadband absorbers cost about $20-25 a piece to make. Purchased absorbers start at around $150 per panel. Do the math.

alohachris
Hi Chris,

Yes, I'm going to. I thought it would be easier to first get a decent sound with mono. I was saying in another thread that I need to find my other mic cables when I realized I just need a usb cord extender to put my usb device on the other side of my computer. Then I'll be able to run the mic cords in a way that doesn't cause me to trip over them,

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD