The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 03-09-2017, 02:57 PM

Default new neck

I have a Collings D2H I got in 1992. There isnt anything wrong with it..it looks like new.
It sat in the case for 15 years unused. I kind of liked it for the first 10 years but never really loved it. I think it was not Collings best work but ok. Rich sound but not like a good D28 has if you happened to find a good one back in the old days.
I either want to get rid of it or change the neck on it. I am not sure if putting a new neck will make it better but it might. I have always wanted a maple bodied dread but todays prices are so stupid I wont buy a custom one. So I thought of having someone mill a new neck CNC out of high quality maple and put an ebony fretboard on it.
Can I remove the neck on this??? is it glued on???
About how much will it cost me in the USA and where can I find someone to mill me a high quality neck?? I dont want an Ebay thing...
Maybe a tiny bit wider than stock...no extra inlays or anything like that.I like playing hard and fast,flatpick. THough I cant get near to what I used to be able to do back in the 80s.
If I cant find a good neck luthier that is reasonable than I will look to trade it off...

Last edited by Kerbie; 03-12-2017 at 04:43 PM. Reason: Inappropriate
Old 03-09-2017, 05:58 PM

I'd say you'll be best advised to consider trading the guitar.

It's not a trivial deal to make and install a new neck, so cost would be most likely a good deal higher than the difference between the guitar you have and the one you might want.

Frank Ford
Old 03-09-2017, 07:09 PM

Changing to a maple neck is not likely to get the results you want.....particularly when you say you want a maple body dreadnought. That is not anywhere close to the sound of a rosewood body dreadnought....no matter what wood is used for the neck.
FYI, the neck heel is bolted on a Collings, and the fingerboard is glued to the top. But it makes little difference whether it is glued or bolted on....it still can be changed if you spend enough money.
Old 03-10-2017, 07:40 AM

If you don't like the guitar, you should sell it. It would cost as much as the guitar is worth to have it done right, and the guitar's value will be ruined.

The nature of your questions indicates that you are not qualified to to do job, which means you would need to hire a luthier to replace the neck, which would be a very expensive job, and again, your guitar's value will be wrecked.
Old 03-10-2017, 08:56 AM

Trade or sell the guitar. Don't invest another $600 or more into something you are not committed to. Go try some Martin D28 Authentics, if that is the tone you're after. Also, Santa Cruz, Collings Traditional, and some boutique makers offer the pre war sound you seem to be after. As far as maple is concerned, Taylor 600 series guitars, including the 610e are a fantastic new voicing for maple guitars. You should be able to find one used for about $2,000 or less.
Old 03-10-2017, 01:41 PM

Try closer to $1,200 for a whole new neck... And if you want the peghead logo - you will send it back to the original manufacturer for the new neck.

I agree with the others... Sell the guitar and move on to something else.

It's one thing if you really love the guitar but just can't get used to the neck profile... You didn't mention the neck profile - more the neck wood.. And it doesn't sound like you are really all that hot about the guitar..

And as mentioned before - swapping from a mahogany neck to a maple neck won't make it like a maple dread...
Old 03-10-2017, 01:51 PM

Agree with the others - TRADE
Old 03-11-2017, 11:05 AM

I will sell it and get something else. A few years ago I valued it at about 3200$ I see now that similar ones are way up in the 5-7K range. I think I will consign it. Who is best around the Washington/Idaho area
for that??? The guitar is in the 500s serial number.

Last edited by 5d24; 03-11-2017 at 11:38 AM.
Old 03-11-2017, 01:28 PM

I don't have any good suggestions for you, sorry. There is no store in Boise that still takes consignments, to my knowledge. And I have no knowledge of stores up north near CDA or the tri-cities in WA. The only ones that come to mind is Dusty Strings in the Seattle area, or Intermountain Guitar in Salt Lake City. And maybe Music Villa in Bozeman, MT. Or if you are willing to ship first, then Elderly Instruments in Lansing, MI.

I have four nice Taylor guitars to sell (615, 410, GS-K flamed koa / spruce, and maybe a 414) as part of my downsizing, and would rather pay a reasonable percentage than deal with the normal array of Craigslist crazies and the inevitable scammers that swarm on new posts. I've had reasonable luck selling on CL, but there is a lot of *static* in the process. For something as nice as your guitar, the AGF classifieds may be your best bet for a quality transaction.
Old 03-17-2017, 09:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
.....For something as nice as your guitar, the AGF classifieds may be your best bet for a quality transaction.
Just a gentle reminder to upgrade to a Charter Membership before posting a classified post.

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/faq.php

Good luck!

Huss & Dalton CM
McKnight MacNaught
Breedlove Custom 000
Albert & Mueller S
Martin LXE
Voyage-Air VM04
Eastman AR605CE
Old 03-17-2017, 10:00 AM

Sell it and find another guitar you like better. Unless your D2h is Brazilian rosewood it is not worth anything close to the numbers you mentioned. It's a $2500 guitar max !

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair