The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 03-15-2017, 09:45 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default Martin D-15

I saw this Martin D-15 on CL, and I am wondering if this headstock can be fixed?[IMG][/IMG]
Thanks,
Clifford
Old 03-15-2017, 09:54 AM

I don't think that looks like a big deal at all.

Good price?

Really can't go wrong with a D-15, IMHO.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 03-15-2017, 10:05 AM

I concur. I'd be more worried about the integrity of the neck joint or a crack in the side if it fell over hard enough to chip the rosewood headplate like that. Are there any other visible blemishes on the guitar, such as cracks on the top of sides?

Do you have a chance to inspect it in person? If so, check to see if there's a gap
between the heel and the body. Mute the strings and thump gently with your knuckle around the upper bout and the around bridge wings to see if the bracing is intact.

As for the chip in the rosewood, it can be fixed by mixing rosewood dust with glue (either Titebond or CA gel) but if you want it to look flawless that's something best left to a professional, and frankly for a D-15 is not worth the trouble. I'd just ask the seller to come down on price because the guitar shows sign of trauma.
Old 03-15-2017, 10:22 AM
Charter Member

yes.

I would build it up nicely with GLuBoost and it will look great in one day.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 03-15-2017, 10:46 AM
AGF Sponsor

Yes, I am going to get a look at it on Saturday, and there is one other blemish on the back. I will definitely have to give it a good look all over. Thanks, Fazool I will check out Gluboost. Are you talking about the fill and finish Gluboost? Also, how do you go about building it up, and how do you match the color?
Clifford
Old 03-15-2017, 11:04 AM
Charter Member

Yes, their fill-n-finish product, with accelerator product (you need both).

I wouldn't try to match the color - this stuff is clear. If you build anything up, even with wood - it will nto have a grain and it will look bad.

Your best (and only) bet is to fill it with clear so the wood color and grain show through.

Put a thick coat on, spray with accelerator and then set aside for 10-20 minutes. Repeat until you have excess fill above the spot, then scrape down, sand it a little and repeat.

Use the taped razor blade method for scraping (be careful around the edges as there won't be good support for the blade).

3-4 layers should fill that. Then 2-3 more layers will build up above, then 1-2 finish layers (fill, level, sand, repeat) before polishing.

so, 6-9 layers total. 20 minutes apply and dry time, 10 minutes level/prep time on the second set then 30 minutes sanding polishing each of the last layers. 3-4 hour project until it looks really nice.

You could rush and have this whole thing done in an hour but if you want it looking really nice, set aside 3 hours.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 03-15-2017, 11:09 AM
AGF Sponsor

Thanks for the advice, and directions. Now if the guitar is not damaged otherwise, I will give this a go.
Old 03-15-2017, 11:32 AM

If you get the guitar, just think of that small chip as the "first ding" and leave it at that. Instruments get handled, and start to look worn in various ways.

Don't let the guitar own YOU.

Make some music, wear out some frets. . .

Frank Ford

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair