The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 04-16-2012, 07:53 PM

Default Avalon Truss Rod Adjusting Tool?

Anyone know where I can purchase a truss rod adjusting tool for an Avalon? It seems that the adjustment nut is hidden from view and from easy access and that a curved tool is necessary to get to it (with normal fingers and dexterity). I've tried registering on the Avalon Forum to get info but it seems one has to wait until the folks at Avalon approve your "membership" and they don't visit the forum or respond to new registrations very often. In fact , there is very little activity on that forum. Too bad; it's a very nice looking, feeling and sounding guitar. I'm surprised that there's not more enthusiasm for the Avalons.
RainSong WS3000 (2007)
MLJ Acoustics OM-12 - bubinga/carpathian (2012)
Composite Acoustics GX HG (2013)
Old 04-16-2012, 11:02 PM

I checked my case and I don't have a truss rod tool for my L32.

However, it looks like you might need a right-angle tool, like the Lowden truss rod tool. If you haven't already, you could try reading these threads:

http://www.avalonguitars.co.uk/phpBB...7276f0bd1d93af

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=204082

It looks like Stewmac sells these right angle tools. See here:

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Sp...russ_rods.html
Old 04-17-2012, 11:18 AM

Thanks for the info Geof. I see I'm not the only one whose tried to figure it out. It sure seems that having the adjustment at the base of the headstock is a lot more convenient and the trade off in structural integrity is probably not very substantial. But then, what do I know; I'm certainly no luthier.
RainSong WS3000 (2007)
Old 04-17-2012, 01:10 PM
Charter Member

Go to the avalon Forum and pm a message to Jim Black and he'll get you squared away. I have a special arched truss rod tool that allows easier access over the brace and into the slot. You can do it with an normal allen wrench but its tougher angle gettin your hands up in there.

The Avalon forum is a great group of helpful folks and they have a tech section too. I go by the "riverdog" on that forum. Anything you need, they will have it, so its a good idea to join the free forum there.

Hope this helps,

noledog
Old 04-17-2012, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noledog View Post
Go to the avalon Forum and pm a message to Jim Black and he'll get you squared away. I have a special arched truss rod tool that allows easier access over the brace and into the slot. You can do it with an normal allen wrench but its tougher angle gettin your hands up in there.

The Avalon forum is a great group of helpful folks and they have a tech section too. I go by the "riverdog" on that forum. Anything you need, they will have it, so its a good idea to join the free forum there.

Hope this helps,

noledog
I "registered" on the Avalon Forum a week ago but cannot post or send messages there until I receive an email from the Administrators "accepting" my registration. One week gone by and still no email from JB or whomever it is that is the gatekeeper. If you look at the dates of the most recent posts in several of the topics on their board, you'll see that there is very little attention to, or activity on, that forum. Hence, I asked my question here where there seems to be a lot of knowledgable and experinced folks dropping in on a regular basis.
RainSong WS3000 (2007)
Old 04-17-2012, 02:20 PM

I'm not sure what size the Avalon requires, but I use the old style Larrivee tool with my Lowden. It is available here http://cherokeeguitar.com/shop/larri...-rod-wrenches/

I expect the right angle wrenches with a ball end that are linked above would also work. The other option is to loosen the strings enough to get your hand inside and then use any ball end allen wrench
that's me on guitar
Old 04-17-2012, 03:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larstusor View Post
I "registered" on the Avalon Forum a week ago but cannot post or send messages there until I receive an email from the Administrators "accepting" my registration. One week gone by and still no email from JB or whomever it is that is the gatekeeper. If you look at the dates of the most recent posts in several of the topics on their board, you'll see that there is very little attention to, or activity on, that forum. Hence, I asked my question here where there seems to be a lot of knowledgable and experinced folks dropping in on a regular basis.
Sorry that it is taking so long. You are right it is a much quieter forum, however, when I needed help there are some regulars that are very kind and helpful. Sometimes it goes weeks without a post, but Avalon owners are comparatively few and among them are fewer forum members. Once you are able to post you will get the responses you need tho. I apologize for not reading your post more carefully. I am at work and just scanned it while working and make a quick reply. I saw "register" and was thinking warranty stuff, sorry my brain fart. I'll pm them tonight to see if i can get you an answer.

noledog
Old 04-17-2012, 06:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noledog View Post
Sorry that it is taking so long. You are right it is a much quieter forum, however, when I needed help there are some regulars that are very kind and helpful. Sometimes it goes weeks without a post, but Avalon owners are comparatively few and among them are fewer forum members. Once you are able to post you will get the responses you need tho. I apologize for not reading your post more carefully. I am at work and just scanned it while working and make a quick reply. I saw "register" and was thinking warranty stuff, sorry my brain fart. I'll pm them tonight to see if i can get you an answer.

noledog

Noledog here again; I got your answer:

Avalon uses a Gotoh bi-flex truss rod and requires a 5mm hex ball driver or a 5mm allen key you can get at a hardware store. Turn right/clockwise to tighten/straighten and visa versa for relief.

Also Avalon is slow about getting started up on their forum registry, but I don't know your info to contact them and relay to them in trying to speed it up. Anyway I hope this time the info helps. Congrats on your fine instrument, I really love mine.

Hope to see ya sometime on their forum as well as here. If I may be of further help please pm me.

Cheers,

noledog
Old 12-19-2014, 02:46 PM

I've just taken delivery of my new custom Avalon and it's a beautiful piece of engineering. I was pondering over what appeared to be an absence of a truss rod ( not unusual in traditional building ) when I found this thread- so thanks for all the info. within. I'll see if I can join the Avalon forum and shake it up a tad.

Nope- couldn't find it

My guitar is over here;

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...=219182&page=4

Last edited by wuzzo; 12-19-2014 at 03:03 PM.
Old 12-23-2016, 02:35 PM

Default Necroposting on an Avalon Truss Rod Wrench

I'm setting up an Avalon L25c I bought from another forum member and it did not come with the 5mm gooseneck wrench, but I was able to get in there with a regular 5mm L-shaped allen wrench about 3" long, placing it inside the guitar with forceps and adjusting the nut with my hand. It would sure be faster and easier to have the correct wrench, but relief can be adjusted without it.

Old 12-23-2016, 03:38 PM

You used forceps to insert the wrench?

I have never encountered a conventional flat top guitar on which I haven't been able to insert my hand into the soundhole and insert the wrench manually ... but if you are skilled with forceps .. more power to you.
Old 03-11-2017, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrmac123 View Post
You used forceps to insert the wrench?
Yes I did, hence the photo above. After about an hour of trying to feel around in there with my hands, the forceps approach worked quickly.

When your hand blocks the soundhole, you can't see anything and it makes it dang near impossible to insert the wrench by feel...and the Avalon's nut access is tucked way up and back in there...
Old 03-13-2017, 12:18 AM

That really looks as though a Larrivee truss-rod tool would work; they're available here for about $20.00

http://www.larrivee.com/shop/truss-r...w-and-old-size

They have 2 sizes...the earlier versions are 3/16" and "J" shaped, exactly like the pic of the Avalon one. The new ones are kinda right-angle design and are 5/32". If you call them, they might even know if either of these would fit an Avalon.
Taylor 412K ('96)
Yamaha LL16-12 (SOLD)
PRS 'Studio' (SOLD)
Rickenbacker 660-12 (SOLD)
Fender USA Deluxe Strat
Fender USA Roadhouse Strat
Fender MIM/USA Partscaster
Fender MIM Nashville Tele
Kelsey Custom Hardtail Strat
Fender MIM P-Bass
Old 05-28-2020, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxtheaxe View Post
That really looks as though a Larrivee truss-rod tool would work; they're available here for about $20.00

http://www.larrivee.com/shop/truss-r...w-and-old-size

They have 2 sizes...the earlier versions are 3/16" and "J" shaped, exactly like the pic of the Avalon one. The new ones are kinda right-angle design and are 5/32". If you call them, they might even know if either of these would fit an Avalon.
Nope, Avalon's take 5mm Allen. Glad I posted the photos above, I forgot how I did it last time!
Old 05-29-2020, 05:30 AM
Charter Member

Neither of the Larrivée wrenches are suitable for a 5mm truss-rod nut. I tried the ‘old’ 3/16” wrench on my Lowden O-25 and it slipped in the nut.

On the very rare occasion I need to adjust the rod in my Lowden, in use a standard 5mm Allen key, loosen the strings a little, reach in to the soundhole between the D and G strings, feel up behind the first brace and insert the key. Takes a little time but hey, I’m retired, time is a commodity I have!

The usual disclaimers apply......IMHO, YMMV etc.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair