The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 02-21-2018, 03:08 PM
Charter Member

Default Savoy vs El Capitan?

Hi!

I'm the owner of a beautiful sunburst Savoy custom that you might have seen on this forum a few months back.

I had some "housing priorities" lately that forced me to reduce the number of instruments in the house.
I've been so impressed with my Savoy and the eKoa material that I'm actually considering keeping it as my unique acoustic guitar. But on the other hand, it's perhaps a bit small and I was thinking that an El Capitan might actually be the most versatile guitar. I'm not travelling with the guitar so size isn't an issue.

But before I do anything stupid, I'd like to get some feedback from people who actually used both. I found a couple of comments on the forum but not many.
I know the size is different, and I expect more bass and projection from the El Capitan, but other than that what's your personal opinion when it comes to the tone, playability, etc.?

Thanks
Old 02-21-2018, 04:53 PM

Tuff choice... the bigun is bigger with deeper bass of course and I would say warmer and does sound darn good... the Savoy is more comfy to play for me.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 02-22-2018, 12:22 AM
Charter Member

Thanks! Fuller sound vs comfort... tough choice indeed!
I’m really tempted to make the swap, but having both would be much better
Old 02-23-2018, 06:25 AM

Having played both ....it really depends on your playing preferences. For more intimate finger style playing I love my savoy... but I have on order and patiently waiting for my el capitan to arrive in march. It is as you would imagine a fuller sounding with more bass. These will be my only guitars.. :-)

Not much help...I guess... ;-)

Last edited by Fixedgear60; 02-23-2018 at 09:40 AM.
Old 02-23-2018, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixedgear60 View Post

Not much help...I guess... ;-)
Good effort though. At the NAMM show I played the Capt a lot... maybe cause I have a Savoy... but really do like both...so I guess you have to get both.
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 02-23-2018, 08:03 AM
Charter Member

Hahaha of course I have to get both, what kind of advice should have I expected on this forum ?
More seriously, thanks a lot for your opinion (even if it might cost me my house and marriage )
Old 02-23-2018, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tøf View Post
Hahaha of course I have to get both, what kind of advice should have I expected on this forum ?
More seriously, thanks a lot for your opinion (even if it might cost me my house and marriage )
Plenty of houses and wives out there, you see lots every day... now a Sable... that is one fine and kinda rare thing indeed. Just pointin' out.
Old 02-23-2018, 09:58 AM

From a purely practical viewpoint (no fun, I know) you already have the Savoy. Just hang on to it until your circumstances allow for both. Don't toss it a known thing away on a quest for what might be. I have more than one Phillips screwdriver in my tool box, but having several different sizes and lengths can be very useful......
Old 02-23-2018, 11:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
now a Sable... that is one fine and kinda rare thing indeed. Just pointin' out.
So you tried and liked the Mcpherson?
The Emerald X20 in the same size range as the El Capitan seems also to get a lot of love on this forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
Just hang on to it until your circumstances allow for both.
Wise advice! Not sure I’m a wise man though
Old 02-23-2018, 11:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tøf View Post
So you tried and liked the Mcpherson?
The Emerald X20 in the same size range as the El Capitan seems also to get a lot of love on this forum.
I had the opportunity to play both McPherson carbon fiber models this past summer. Both very nice guitars, great sound, impeccable workmanship. Neither would make me want to trade my Emeralds, though.

I haven't played an El Capitan, so I can't offer a comment beyond the appearance as a preference. The idea of a full size guitar and a smaller, more intimate, guitar works for me. The larger guitar, in my case the X20, is probably more versatile, but it doesn't mean I could give up the smaller (X7). I have to agree with what others are telling you about not giving up that "bird in the hand." Good luck with the decisions.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber