The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 02-18-2018, 03:31 PM

Default Zombie threads or multiple threads about the SAME topic?

Many people seem to make a fuzz about "reviving" old threads, but, is it really worse than making many threads about the same theme? Just curious.
-2020 Gibson Les Paul Special
-2019 Gibson Les Paul Studio
-2021 Fender Aerodyne Special Telecaster
-2022 Fender Telecaster 50s (Vintera)
-1994 Fender Telecaster Deluxe 70 (Vintera)
-Sire V5 5-string
Old 02-18-2018, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarplayer_PR View Post
Many people seem to make a fuzz about "reviving" old threads, but, is it really worse than making many threads about the same theme? Just curious.
"Zombie Thread" is that a close cousin to a "Frankenstein Thread" where you stitch together dead threads and bring it back to life?

Or a

"Mummy Thread" where you think you have it all wrapped up and buried but some unsuspecting explorer uncovers it and then it comes back to life.

"Werewolf Thread" where it changes shape on a full moon

"Vampire Thread" that sucks the life out of the topic....kind of like what I'm doing.
The Old Lady
Goldilocks
Flipper

"Sometimes I play a song I never heard before" Thelonious Monk
Old 02-18-2018, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarplayer_PR View Post
I personally find it always better to post in a thread which "matches" -- thus keeping the information together.

This does make sense IMO for specific questions / answers. For NGD-threads and the like (the thousandth "what should I buy") this is another story...
Old 02-18-2018, 04:14 PM

Note that most (not all, mind you) zombied threads are undeaded by folks with less than 10 posts here to their credit.

That's happened so many times now (latest was in the Whiskey At Breakfast thread (in the General Discussion section, where somebody with seven posts zombied a seven year-old thread).

It's a weird phenomenon. It's peculiar. It's strange.

Would make a great Coast To Coast topic, probably.

Last edited by Inyo; 02-18-2018 at 08:24 PM.
Old 02-18-2018, 04:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpnfan View Post
I personally find it always better to post in a thread which "matches" -- thus keeping the information together.
Maybe not always (well... maybe if it does indeed match ), but for the most part I agree with this.
Old 02-18-2018, 04:24 PM
Charter Member

The only time zombies bug me is when they are answering an ages old question, where the question is obviously not pertinent anymore.

In defense, I will say that I've not looked at the date on a thread and posted to newly "hatched*" zombies.

* What do you call a new zombie? Born? Hatched? Awakened? Zombified?
Old 02-18-2018, 04:28 PM
Charter Member

Also, here's a useful tip for anyone who is tempted to post "Is it still for sale?" to an old FS post that doesn't show as sold.

Don't!

Send the Seller a PM instead. Chances are they will not be monitoring the Classifieds after all that time.
Old 02-18-2018, 05:03 PM

For what it's worth, as much as I love this forum, searching it can be a bit of a pain. I've tried searching, for topics that I KNOW I've seen in the past,only to be told by the forum search engine there is nothing to be found.

On the other hand, if my search turns up a very old thread what is the statute of limitations on continuing it? 6 months? A year? Two years? Where can I find this information?

And if I'm not allowed to resurrect a very old thread, then why am I even allowed to find it in the first place?

For those who are upset when these things happen, what is your suggestion?

I'll get off my soapbox now,
PJ
Old 02-18-2018, 05:07 PM

I think newer members like myself simply may not check the date a thread started and assume it's current. It seems to me that it's a simple, forgivable error. As far as multiple threads on the same subject, I don't mind. Although there's a wealth of information in the "search" function, this forum is a discussion forum, and not an encyclopedia. I've been part of forums where it's against forum guidelines to respond to a question by referring the OP to the search box. It doesn't seem unusual to me that there would be multiple threads on a certain subject.
Old 02-18-2018, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RefrigRaider View Post
I think newer members like myself simply may not check the date a thread started and assume it's current. It seems to me that it's a simple, forgivable error. As far as multiple threads on the same subject, I don't mind. Although there's a wealth of information in the "search" function, this forum is a discussion forum, and not an encyclopedia. I've been part of forums where it's against forum guidelines to respond to a question by referring the OP to the search box. It doesn't seem unusual to me that there would be multiple threads on a certain subject.
+1.......... Always glad to post a former , informative thread link to an on going subject-if it's relevant
Old 02-18-2018, 06:33 PM

A couple of months ago I was surprised to see a thread that I created years ago surface. I can't recall now what it was about but it was comical to see it again.
Old 02-18-2018, 06:48 PM
Charter Member

Here’s a good thread that got 861 posts before it was closed.
Old 02-18-2018, 07:18 PM

What cracks me up is when they specifically answer to the original poster when the op has been gone for 9 years.

Which is completely different than reviving an old thread to discuss the general subject.
Old 02-18-2018, 08:13 PM

i love zombie threads as a lot of times the info is no longer valid but people still comment as if it is. my tonerite didn't open up my guitar but it was warm with a wide fretboard that i couldn't play due to the inaction of the strings that were bright along the nut to the bridge. but then i found that mahogany(hog?) doesn't do that unless it is less than 40% humidity in december or january only. so i drilled a 7" circle along the soundhole to give it a much louder sound. but none of that worked. except, now with that double soundhole it has opened up.
whew!

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 02-18-2018, 11:19 PM
Charter Member

I've posted in Zombie threads by mistake. Sometime though a good conversation comes out of it and all is not lost. We generally keep talking about the same things over and over again anyway with the exception of NGD posts and songs in show and tell, lol.

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic