The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-21-2018, 02:31 PM

I like a little bling. That’s secondary to tone, of course, but still nice to have.

When I was ordering my Kinscherff High Noon, I ordered a custom inlay for the headstock and for the twelfth fret to match the rosette I’d chosen. Sure it cost a little more, but I was already committed for more than five grand. At that point the surcharge was minimal, probably I was more inconvenienced by a slight additional delay in receiving the instrument, but after the many months I’d already waited, I grew philosophical about time. (There’s regular time, and then there’s luthier time.)
Old 02-21-2018, 02:32 PM

It is fun to read through this thread. My perspective, after playing for 45+ years though never getting particularly accomplished (not consistent enough in my practice...) is that play-ability is king (for me). Sure it has to sound good, but as has been pointed out, most guitars these days sound OK at the low end (and some actually better than OK). And to me, play-ability has come to include size and shape.

In my earliest days I just bought up to a more expensive guitar each (rare) time I could afford it and did more or less OK with improved sound and ease of play. But I didn't know squat about shapes (there is something besides dread?) or tonewoods (some were darkish, others sort of light). Nut width? Is that the belt size of the player or what?

Once I found that I just no longer liked the size of the D-18 I had been playing for 20 years, I went shopping, really shopping (and learning) for the first time. What a hoot to find all these options, and each one making a difference!

Once I suddenly and sort of unexpectedly quickly sold the D-18 I was suddenly without ANY guitar. After a couple weeks of daily trips to the guitar store, I settled on a GS mini to carry and a 000-15M for nice size, good tone, lovely simple lines. That is when I was ruined for size and shape. I found myself liking the feel of the even smaller Mini, and especially the shorter scale so much that despite a nicer tone, the 000-15M was in the case most of the time. I liked the CA Cargo even better and that is now my only instrument (for now).

So, ya, feeling right is the key for me. As for how that translates to the beginner shopping...I tend to fall in the camp of ease of play (and now also usually advise a setup - though I played a sweet, eminently playable $350 Seagull the other day in the shop, so there. Sounded pretty decent, too).
Old 02-21-2018, 07:07 PM
Charter Member

Location: Stationary home in NJ. Mobile home on any given highway.

Again, a really remarkable and helpful post here Bob. I'm 'bumping it up' again for the ones that may not have read it yet.
Old 02-21-2018, 07:44 PM

Good thread. I bought a D18 recently. I'm not very good but want to get better, much better. The guitar is beautiful, it smells amazing, sounds great to my ear and is comfortable to play. Is it way more guitar than my ability? Certainly, but I feel inspired to play it and pick it up. It makes me want to practise, it makes me feel better than I really am, it gives me hope that I can be as good as I want to be some day and enjoy the journey getting there. Sometimes I can hear it laugh saying, "I'm way out of your league mate!". It's true, but I have thick skin.
Old 02-21-2018, 08:00 PM
Charter Member

Playability and comfort are at the top of the list. But, I also think buying a guitar that inspires one to play is also really important.

Sometimes, I see posts talking new players into not buying an “expensive” guitar because of a variety of reasons. Albeit well intentioned, I can imagine the deflation a new player might feel when reading all the comments steering in them in another direction.

If your budget allows, it’s okay to buy something that costs more if it motivates the player and gets them practicing.
Old 02-21-2018, 08:14 PM
Charter Member

Beginner's don't know anything about guitars. They don't even know what questions to ask.

The best thing to tell a beginner, imo, is to buy something inexpensive with the help of someone who plays who can spot setup and build issues.

The next question they should ask as is "What should I practice to get better" and forget about gear for a couple of years.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 02-21-2018, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by backdoc View Post
The good thing is, today’s inexpensive guitars from Yamaha, Ibanez and others are sooooo much better in terms of playability compared to the crap I started with 50 years ago, its not hard to find a good starter.
This so much. When I started playing there was such a huge gulf between inexpensive guitars and premium brands in terms of construction. I own a number of high end and vintage acoustics now, but I'm genuinely impressed with what you can get for just a few hundred bucks these days. Heck, I played a total entry level Epiphone Pro model that starts at $100, and it was genuinely a good player and even pretty nice sounding for a laminate guitar. I wouldn't have hesitated to recommend that to a total beginner who was cash strapped, and I think it would serve them pretty well. Lot of nice budget options out there now.
Old 02-22-2018, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpaul73 View Post
Good thread. I bought a D18 recently. I'm not very good but want to get better, much better. The guitar is beautiful, it smells amazing, sounds great to my ear and is comfortable to play. Is it way more guitar than my ability? Certainly, but I feel inspired to play it and pick it up. It makes me want to practise, it makes me feel better than I really am, it gives me hope that I can be as good as I want to be some day and enjoy the journey getting there. Sometimes I can hear it laugh saying, "I'm way out of your league mate!". It's true, but I have thick skin.

All of the responses in this thread have been fantastic but this one resonates the most with me. I have a 000-18 that routinely laughs at me but I laugh right back and say, “I own you!”

Great thread!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion