The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 02-18-2018, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Before last night's game I had read that Crosby had more points in 2018 than anyone else. The comment was that with Crosby picking up the pace so too have the Pens.

You following any of the Olympic hockey? I haven't seen a game but looking at the scores.
I haven't been following the Olympics at all. Normally I'd be watching not only hockey but many of the other events, but with caring for my wife taking up a lot of my time I haven't been watching any TV except for the Pens games.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 02-18-2018, 04:51 PM

Made it out to watch the Canucks trounce the B's last nite in the other Hockey Night in Canada game.
Tonnes of Bruins fans at the game.....love the Original Six fans. Great buzz in the building pre-game. Marchand is such a weasel...as the rink rats are rolling out the carpet on the ice for the anthem and ceremonies he skates over to the carpet almost wiping out the ushers as he jumps the carpet making it look like an accident.
Nobody around me caught it but I always like to watch pre game warm-up as lots of stuff happens.
Anyhow....Canucks got some bounces, finally got a great goaltending performance from Nillson and capitalized when they needed too.
On a normal night the Canucks would have got blown out playing like they did.
Probably one of the best atmosphere nights this year in the rink with a sellout to boot.

It will be a few years before the Canucks will become a solid team but the prospect pool is starting to materialize. They have one of the best goalie prospects in Thatcher Demko playing down in AHL Utica, they have Adam Gaudette from Northeastern who just layed it down in the Bean Pot and is a Hobie Baker finallist. Also Elias Peterson in Sweden, Cole Lind in Kelowna. Most are names you probably haven't heard of except Gaudette. Unfortunately development takes time.
They are in desperate need of #1 goalie and better defence.

Oh well, at least the Canucks are watchable.

Last edited by Fireside_Guitar; 02-18-2018 at 07:09 PM.
Old 02-18-2018, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireside_Guitar View Post
Made it out to watch the Canucks trounce the B's last nite in the other Hockey Night in Canada game.
Tonnes of Bruins fans at the game.....love the Original Six fans. Great buzz in the building pre-game. Marchand is such a weasel...as the rink rats are rolling out the carpet on the ice for the anthem and ceremonies he skates over to the carpet almost wiping out the ushers as he jumps the carpet making it look like an accident.
Nobody around me caught it but I always like to watch pre game warm-up as lots of stuff happens.
Anyhow....Canucks got some bounces, finally got a great goaltending performance from Nillson and capitalized when they needed too.
On a normal night the Canucks would have got blown out playing like they did.
Probably one of the best atmosphere nights this year in the rink with a sellout to boot.

It will be a few years before the Canucks will become a solid team but the prospect pool is starting to materialize. They have one of the best goalie prospects in Thatcher Demko playing down in AHL Utica, they have Adam Gaudette from Northwestern who just layed it down in the Bean Pot and is a Hobie Baker finallist. Also Elias Peterson in Sweden, Cole Lind in Kelowna. Most are names you probably haven't heard of except Gaudette. Unfortunately development takes time.
They are in desperate need of #1 goalie and better defence.

Oh well, at least the Canucks are watchable.
Great that you were able to see the game. What are the Canucks' plan for the Sedin twins? Not sure how much time they have left on their contracts.
Old 02-18-2018, 06:49 PM

At the end of 2 periods it's Pens over the Blue Jackets 4-1. Pens scored on 3 of their first 4 shots. Bobrovsky doesn't know whether to cry or wind his watch.

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 02-18-2018, 07:04 PM

Quote:
The NHL 2017/2018 Season kicked off last night. What teams you following this year? Players?

Go Bruins!
GO BRUINS!!
Old 02-18-2018, 07:47 PM

Pens beat the Jackets 5-2 and now sit atop the Metro Division standings. I like this one being a win in a second of b2b games against a Metro rival on the road. Nice win!

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 02-18-2018, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanEagle View Post
GO BRUINS!!
I hear ya, AE

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdaddy View Post
Pens beat the Jackets 5-2 and now sit atop the Metro Division standings. I like this one being a win in a second of b2b games against a Metro rival on the road. Nice win!
How did Crosby play? Looking at the stats he had 0 points and was 4 wins / 15 losses on faceoffs. Yesterday he was 9 wins / 15 losses. Uncharacteristic for him on faceoffs.
Old 02-19-2018, 07:40 AM

Quote:
I hear ya, AE

How did Crosby play? Looking at the stats he had 0 points and was 4 wins / 15 losses on faceoffs. Yesterday he was 9 wins / 15 losses. Uncharacteristic for him on faceoffs.
Sid pretty much took the game off. Kind of was there but he wasn't really grinding. Columbus looked disinterested so Sid didn't need to find that extra gear. Against Toronto the night before Sullivan had him double shifting on the first and fourth lines so he earned a bit of a night off. He let Malkin and Sheahan (2 goals) do the heavy lifting.

BTW- Top two goal scoring teams in 2018 are the Pens and Bruins! Pens with 84 and the Bruins with 71.

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 02-19-2018, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Sid pretty much took the game off. Kind of was there but he wasn't really grinding. Columbus looked disinterested so Sid didn't need to find that extra gear. Against Toronto the night before Sullivan had him double shifting on the first and fourth lines so he earned a bit of a night off. He let Malkin and Sheahan (2 goals) do the heavy lifting.

BTW- Top two goal scoring teams in 2018 are the Pens and Bruins! Pens with 84 and the Bruins with 71.
The Bruins and Pens are probably two of the teams with the most points in 2018 too. They really hit a stride.

McDavid had his 3rd hat trick of the season yesterday. Too bad the Oilers are in such a mess. They were supposed to be contenders this year but I don't think they'll even make the playoffs.
Old 02-19-2018, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Great that you were able to see the game. What are the Canucks' plan for the Sedin twins? Not sure how much time they have left on their contracts.
Sedin's contracts expire at the end of this season. They don't want to be traded to a contender and want to retire as Canucks.

They say they will make a descision at the end of the season on a contract or retirement. They are great mentors and can still play in the league...though they are slowing down.

If you have a few minutes read the Players Tribune letter they wrote to Canucks fans.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.the...vancouver/amp/
Old 02-23-2018, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireside_Guitar View Post
Sedin's contracts expire at the end of this season. They don't want to be traded to a contender and want to retire as Canucks.

They say they will make a descision at the end of the season on a contract or retirement. They are great mentors and can still play in the league...though they are slowing down.

If you have a few minutes read the Players Tribune letter they wrote to Canucks fans.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.the...vancouver/amp/
Thanks for the article link - I only skimmed it but I caught their feelings on being up 2-0 on the Bruins only to lose the Stanley Cup.

Pens playing tonight. Guessing Crosby will have a big night since they've been off a couple of days.
Old 02-23-2018, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the article link - I only skimmed it but I caught their feelings on being up 2-0 on the Bruins only to lose the Stanley Cup.

Pens playing tonight. Guessing Crosby will have a big night since they've been off a couple of days.
Pens beat Carolina 6-1 after having 4 days off. Pens were a little sloppy in the 1st period and then put the pedal to the metal in the 2nd and 3rd. Sid had a power play goal, and double shifted some on the 1st and 4th lines. Pens acquisition today of centerman Derek Brassard from the Senators should help to keep Sid's double shifting to a minimum going forward.

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 02-24-2018, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Pens beat Carolina 6-1 after having 4 days off. Pens were a little sloppy in the 1st period and then put the pedal to the metal in the 2nd and 3rd. Sid had a power play goal, and double shifted some on the 1st and 4th lines. Pens acquisition today of centerman Derek Brassard from the Senators should help to keep Sid's double shifting to a minimum going forward.
Crosby was a negative on faceoffs again, 6-9. How's he playing? Does he look a little injured? It's uncharacteristic for him to play multiple consecutive games with minus faceoff wins. Just want to make sure he's healthy heading into the playoffs!

Team Canada won Bronze today at the Olympics by defeating the Czech Rep today! I can't believe they lost to Germany yesterday and didn't think they'd get by the Czechs today. Congrats!

Edit: BTW, I was given a heads up that we're nearly at 300 posts. When that happens this thread will be locked so I'll create a new "Part II" thread in the mid 290s.
Old 02-24-2018, 10:47 AM

Kessel and Malkin have made up the slack - meaning that the "two-headed monster" is actually becoming a three headed monster. Then there are the minor league players who have come up and are making contributions so I'm not really worried about Sid - or Kris Le Tang for that matter. I'm not involved in Fantasy sports so as long as they're out there contributing to the team I'm not concerned about numbers. I just want to be able to get cheap seats on Stub Hub and see them out there.

Meanwhile, things are really getting interesting in the Metro. The Pens and Flyers are tied for second and both are only one point behind the Capitals. This has me more excited than being worried about Sid losing at the face offs. To be in the running this far on in the season after winning two cups in a row the previous two seasons just leads me to feel that this is truly a Herculean effort by all the experienced players.

What I'm trying to wrap my head around though, is this three way trade with Ottawa and Las Vegas. I know the Pens are getting a big hand but am wondering what they're giving up. I know that Cole is gone but have yet to really pore through the details.

Also, I'm pretty bummed. I am signed up for alerts on Stub Hub and saw tickets for $40 for Tuesday's game in the upper bowl (which still provides a better view of the ice than watching on television) but family commitments were prohibitive.
Old 02-24-2018, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil K Walk View Post
Kessel and Malkin have made up the slack - meaning that the "two-headed monster" is actually becoming a three headed monster. Then there are the minor league players who have come up and are making contributions so I'm not really worried about Sid - or Kris Le Tang for that matter. I'm not involved in Fantasy sports so as long as they're out there contributing to the team I'm not concerned about numbers. I just want to be able to get cheap seats on Stub Hub and see them out there.

Meanwhile, things are really getting interesting in the Metro. The Pens and Flyers are tied for second and both are only one point behind the Capitals. This has me more excited than being worried about Sid losing at the face offs. To be in the running this far on in the season after winning two cups in a row the previous two seasons just leads me to feel that this is truly a Herculean effort by all the experienced players.

What I'm trying to wrap my head around though, is this three way trade with Ottawa and Las Vegas. I know the Pens are getting a big hand but am wondering what they're giving up. I know that Cole is gone but have yet to really pore through the details.

Also, I'm pretty bummed. I am signed up for alerts on Stub Hub and saw tickets for $40 for Tuesday's game in the upper bowl (which still provides a better view of the ice than watching on television) but family commitments were prohibitive.
Yeah, a lot of folks at the NHL league office were trying to wrap their heads around that trade.

Jim Rutherford said it was the most complex deal he's ever made as a GM. Here's the breakdown:

To Ottawa: From Pittsburgh: Defenseman Ian Cole, Pen's 1st round pick in 2018 draft, Goalie prospect Filip Gustavsson, Pens 3rd round pick in 2019

To Las Vegas: From Pittsburgh: Forward Ryan Reaves, Pen's 4th round pick in 2018 draft. From Ottawa: Centerman Derek Brassard

To Pittsburgh: From Las Vegas: Derek Brassard (LV retains 40% salary), Forward prospect Tobias Lindberg. From Ottawa: Forward prospect Vincent Dunn, Ottawa's 3rd round pick in 2018

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
PRS SE Standard 24

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic