The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Harp Guitar

Old 09-08-2016, 08:26 AM

Default Harp guitar lovers

Ive stumbled on the world of harp guitars this year,and thought there would be a few others intreged by this style of music.
Mike Doolin is a wonderful builder and has some inventive ideas on how the harp guitar can be built,so here are a couple of his build pics.He built Muriel Andersons 21 string HG ,if youve never heard harp guitar then she is the one to check out first.i think she and Jon Doan are the best.
http://www.doolinguitars.com/client/...g/superbridge/
Old 10-07-2016, 11:22 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edadmartin View Post
Ive stumbled on the world of harp guitars this year,and thought there would be a few others intreged by this style of music.
Mike Doolin is a wonderful builder and has some inventive ideas on how the harp guitar can be built,so here are a couple of his build pics.He built Muriel Andersons 21 string HG ,if youve never heard harp guitar then she is the one to check out first.i think she and Jon Doan are the best.
I love Mike's harp guitars as well as Kathy Wingert's. I have had the pleasure of playing several of theirs over the years. Also, check out Stephen Bennett. He has some amazing arrangements for harp guitar.

Very cool to see that there is now a harp guitar subforum!

Best,
Jayne
Old 10-07-2016, 11:55 AM

Default Annual Harp Guitar Gathering...!!!

The annual Harp Guitar Gathering is starting on October 14 in Milford, Connecticut. The site changes every year.

This is a great opportunity to meet all the luthiers and performers.

There are concerts on Saturday night and Sunday afternoon.

Check out the link:
http://www.harpguitars.net/hgg/hgg.htm
Old 10-08-2016, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edadmartin View Post
Not positively sure but I thought I heard that Doolan had retired from making guitars to concentrate more on playing. Really a shame as he was a wonderful luthier. If I'm wrong on this please correct me.

-jay
'98 SRV Fender Stratocaster
Old 10-08-2016, 11:04 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay7347 View Post
Not positively sure but I thought I heard that Doolan had retired from making guitars to concentrate more on playing. Really a shame as he was a wonderful luthier. If I'm wrong on this please correct me.

-jay
Yes - unfortunately for those of us who love his guitars, it is true. From his website:

Please note: I have retired from lutherie and am no longer building instruments. I have no instruments in stock for sale, and when one of my guitars comes up for sale used, I usually don't hear about it. I am happy to answer questions about my guitars and designs, but I'm sorry, I will not build you a guitar!

Fortunately for him, he is now enjoying the time to be playing more music!

Best,
Jayne

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Harp Guitar