The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 08-29-2015, 12:11 PM
Charter Member

Default The pace I learn at...

Here's two clips, the first of me learning a new tune "Do Anything You Let Me" arranged by Woody Mann, and then the second the actual artist, Woody Mann. This is just the first page.

And, this is really about maybe 1/3 faster or 50% faster than last night when I sat down with the tune for a half hour. That first half hour is like when a 4 year old is learning to read "run spot run", lol. That's when I'm going... 1 and...........................2 and .....................................3 literally

Is anyone else this slow when first learning? In total I've spent maybe an hour, hour and a 1/4 on the song already.

Me:

Woody Mann:

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 08-29-2015, 12:58 PM
Charter Member

Yep, I'm that slow or slower but it's all up from there (usually). And I keep reminding myself if I am making chronic mistakes with a song or just not seeming to make any progress to back it down and work back at it slowly.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 08-29-2015, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Is anyone else this slow when first learning? In total I've spent maybe an hour, hour and a 1/4 on the song already.
A top drawer arrangement takes me minimum 40 hours to bring up to polished memorized, performance level. An easier arrangement, such as the above, would take me maybe 10 hours to get to performance confidence (which is to be distinguished from "in front of the TV confidence.")

15 years ago, my practice time would have been maybe half what my brain can do today, for comparable results. (Yikes. )

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write