The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 08-22-2015, 09:43 AM

Default Tab vs DVDs

I can learn a guitar piece watching a DVD easier and quicker than using a Tab of the same piece. It seems that I need to play using the tab for ever before I can play without using the Tab. Anyone have the same problem and how to make Tab learning somewhat faster?
Old 08-22-2015, 10:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bscott View Post
I can learn a guitar piece watching a DVD easier and quicker than using a Tab of the same piece. It seems that I need to play using the tab for ever before I can play without using the Tab. Anyone have the same problem and how to make Tab learning somewhat faster?
Hi bscott…

I don't consider yours a problem, nor a limitation.

The things I play/learn don't have tab (nor notation) so monkey-see-monkey-do is the only way I have access to them. And frankly it's more useful and much quicker since I play in flexible situations.

When I teach, paper is minimal. I've taught intermediate to advanced fingerstyle for the past 3 decades using the visual imitation method. Never lost a student because they didn't have paper.

In the 21st century, I think visual is most easily accessed, captured and implemented. Lots of free lessons available if your phone shoots video and you can carry it home in your pocket.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 08-22-2015, 10:28 AM
Charter Member

Nice to know what the piece sounds like before you try to learn it. Tab nowadays often comes in a program that includes a midi sound file which helps a bunch.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 08-22-2015, 11:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bscott View Post
Different people have differing ways in which they best take in information. Rather than identifying that fact that one way works better for you than another as a limitation, leverage that insight to learn using your strengths and continue to experiment with different combinations as you mentioned that DVD first, then TAB works for you.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 08-22-2015, 11:16 AM

I use both to help add details I may have questions to or on any particular song im learning.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write