The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 08-17-2015, 05:32 AM

Location: Plymouth, Ma in the summer and St. Petersburg, Fl in the winter (paid snowbird)
Default modern method for guitar- finger style

Hi All
I have been playing for a little over a year and enjoy playing finger style, self taught. Have plenty of time, so for now I thought this is the best way to learn.
I wanted more than just playing tabs, so I started a journey to learn how to read music and learn some theory. I purchased the modern method for guitar V1-3 about three weeks ago, by Leavitt Williams. I am about half way through the first book.
So my question, is this the right course I should be taking, it appears that the book is orientated to flat picking I think, not finger picking? Although the rest of the book seems to be teaching me what I was looking for, does it matter?

Thanks for the help
Old 08-17-2015, 06:19 AM

There's a review of the book here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tE1vFvW7oD0

which praises the way it develops reading ability. That alone would make it worthwhile. Any other stuff you learn can inform your finger style playing even if it is originally for flat picking. If any one posted here that it is impossible to learn too much, I would not argue against that.
Old 08-19-2015, 11:20 AM

I have it as well. I use only my fingers.... It's chuck full of useful information.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Francisco Navarro Concert Classical
Francisco Navarro Student Flamenco
Eastman AC708 Sunburst
Seagull S6
Cordoba C-5
Fender Strat MIM
Old 08-22-2015, 06:44 PM

This is the series of books I use with my instructor. He was taught using this method and he is a just about as good as it gets. Its a long process, dont rush it, take your time and go over it. It is designed to teach you the fret board and how it works. It is very in depth. I would advise you, if you can, find a good instructor to help you thru it. I am fortunate to have found my teacher as he has shown me the proper way to flatpick, fingerpick, etc. He has shown me just how much I did not know. You have chosen the best, ( IMHO) music instruction course, just find a teacher to go along with it and you will be set.
Old 08-24-2015, 12:14 PM

agree with all the above, one of the best sources of technique / reading / comping books available. I have used all three of his publications with my students.
Also, I only use my fingers, no pic..
Old 08-24-2015, 07:13 PM

There is a series of books by Barry Galbraith that are very good. My instructor is mostly a jazz guy so lots of the lessons are geared towards that style. It helps to learn to hear the difference btw the natural, melodic, and harmonic minor scales. Good lessons, really help you to learn the fretboard.
Old 08-25-2015, 05:20 AM

Location: Plymouth, Ma in the summer and St. Petersburg, Fl in the winter (paid snowbird)

thanks to all of you for taking the time to respond.

I am little over half way through the first section, not in a hurry. Although it is hard to believe this is a beginners section. Just shows how much I need to learn.
Old 08-27-2015, 08:39 AM

Books are great, but look also to develop your own playing and compositions along side of that effort. PM me if I can help.
Old 08-27-2015, 12:40 PM

Don't know this book, but music theory is definitely the best thing to learn if you want to improve your playing. However reading music is not a necessary thing for improving the playing or understanding of music.
Jackson US Soloist

Youtube - Reverbnation - Twitter - Facebook

Old 08-27-2015, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johan Madsen View Post
Don't know this book, but music theory is definitely the best thing to learn if you want to improve your playing. However reading music is not a necessary thing for improving the playing or understanding of music.
We each have our point of view but I must respectfully disagree with you. If you cannot read music your Cordoba Maple 14, (which is a very good cross over guitar, I own one) will be of little use in Bach's BWV998. Or if you dont understand music see where some chord changes in the piece are basic progressions in moden jazz, (he was the first jazz guy!) So any information you get will be of use at some point somewhere along your journey.
Old 08-31-2015, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johneg View Post
thanks to all of you for taking the time to respond.

I am little over half way through the first section, not in a hurry. Although it is hard to believe this is a beginners section. Just shows how much I need to learn.
Although it is the first book of the series, having a very broad understanding of reading, playing and to an extent writing notation are almost essential asset's before starting the first book of the series. He cuts to the chase after the first few "review" pages

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write