The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 08-20-2015, 04:07 PM

Cool Does anyone listen/play anything from the Rosenberg Trio?

Just wondering, as I have been a long time listener of these guys, and am currently learning to play some Django. Any tips? Fantastic stuff!
Old 08-20-2015, 04:51 PM

My search engine turned up this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avq9XirYhf4

I'm not a fan of where jazz has gone in the last 50 plus years but I did enjoy this. Thanks for the name check.
Old 08-20-2015, 06:39 PM
Guitar Gourmet

I have this cool picture of Jan Akkerman with the Rosenberg Trio at Eindhoven, Netherlands in about 2002 on my website. There is a clip from his work with them HERE about half-way down the page.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 08-21-2015, 01:02 AM

I play Gypsy Jazz and have learnt quite a few of Stochelo's solos and Nousche is a great rhythm player so I use him as inspiration for my rhythm practice.

If you're interested in learning some of their stuff you can join the Rosenberg Academy which has tabs, videos, backing tracks, etc. You can join for one month at a time.

If you're serious about getting into the style, then you need to spend some time learning the Gypsy Picking technique otherwise you will be playing the right notes but just won't have the right accent and attack. The rest stroke is a must to master.

The General rule is that every string change should start on a downstroke, be it ascending or descending. However, Stochelo takes it even further and uses LOTS of downstrokes, even at lightening speed with 2 notes on a string. A different approach to the French guys.

Any other questions just fire away... I love this stuff!
Old 08-21-2015, 01:14 AM

Default Rosenberg

I sure do! As a dutch guitar player they are a must to listen to...

Have you also heard of their nephew, Jimmy Rosenberg? He's supposed to be even more talented but due to addiction could not live up to de expectations en pressure of international fame...

If you google his name there are some nice clips on youtube of his playing. There are also a couple of ducumentaries (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0986358/ ) is one of them.

A very talented gypsy family with natural born musical genius. I was fortunate to spend a couple of weeks together with Jimmy in 2003/2004 and play with him. He plays like a madmen but don't ask him to name any of the chords he uses...he just doesnt do names ;-) I had to sit with my notebook and watch his fingers to make transcriptions of his chord changes to be able to play simple strumming for him to improvise on. But man what a talented improvisations he came up with. Not of this world.

It took me a couple of months, after this experience, to see the point of practise on the guitar. He has more talent in his little finger than i have in my whole body...

Also, dont forget to look at this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nN7UH_cmLtk

Last edited by john.westhoff; 08-21-2015 at 01:22 AM.
Old 08-21-2015, 02:22 AM

Yeah... Jimmy is a beast! That documentary is great but very tragic and sad. Such a talented but troubled man and a true guitar genius. I love this video of him and Vignola jamming at 5 in the morning after a concert. It's a display of one of the best picking techniques on the planet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbrhLs864D0

What I love about Jimmy is that his speed is not a show off kind of thing, he has a real "frantic" personality and it manifests itself in his playing.
Old 08-24-2015, 12:18 PM

I saw the Rosenberg trio live in Eindhoven in the mid 90's, brought back their CD with me. Still gets played regularly at our home, incredible feel and talent in those hands.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write