The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 08-29-2006, 09:05 AM

Default Any mountain bikers out there?

I am wanting to purchase a Gary Fisher Paragon this year, and was hoping you could help me locate one. I am searching online and all I can seem to find in the used areas are smalls up to larges, and I need an exttra large.

Also, if you have any suggestions for a bike in the same price range (~$1600) that would be great too

Thanks everyone.

D
Old 08-29-2006, 09:20 AM

Maybe take a look at the Trek 8000 or 8500.

I ride a Trek 6700, and I've had it a few years. It's been a great bike so far. I've had to replace a few things ( changed the rear wheel to a Big Mammoth, new Big Ring, New rear cassette, New chain, a few sets of tires, etc )....but the main components have hung in there great.

The 8000 and 8500, are a step above my bike....and more in line with the price of the Fisher Paragon, but based on my own experience I would have no problems recommending Trek bikes.
Old 08-29-2006, 09:24 AM

I ride a Kona Hoss Dee-Lux with a few upgrades and I love it. Try heading over to mtbr.com. I am sure that you will find more info to chew on over there.

.m
Old 08-29-2006, 10:04 AM
Me

Would a large work? I'm a big fan of Specialized mountain bikes.

Stumpjumper

Enduro
Old 08-29-2006, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveS
Would a large work? I'm a big fan of Specialized mountain bikes.

Stumpjumper

Enduro
I think ME@VT is looking at hard-tails, although both those Specialized bikes you've suggested, look like nice ones.
Old 08-29-2006, 10:54 AM
Me

ME@VT,
Are you looking for a good hard tail? If you are riding on the street, that makes sense. If you are planning to ride on trails, for the money you are looking to spend, you can get a very nice full suspension ride.
Old 08-29-2006, 11:15 AM

If you are planning to ride on trails, for the money you are looking to spend, you can get a very nice full suspension ride.

Or an even nicer hard-tail!

Just kidding...lol. I've got nothing against FS bikes, but the Fisher Paragon is a classic Hard-tail, so I'm assuming that'w what ME@VT is looking for.

The Paragon also uses a ZR-9000 frame, which is why I recommended the Trek 8000 and 8500 ( they use the same frame material ).
Old 08-29-2006, 02:27 PM

Hey guys,

Thanks for the replies. For the time begin, I am going to be doing a lot of street riding to and from school. I'll be a weekend warrior down at Carvins Cove in Roanoke and Pandapas Pond near Blacksburg for the school year. Riding will increase in frequency when I get a little more spare time from the Grad work.

I liked the Paragon for its frame material and geometry. I think I have my heart set on getting a 29er (Wheel size). I feel like a big guy, on a big frame, on small wheels when I ride most 26ers. I believe the 21'' is necessary for me as I am around 6'4'' 190-200 lbs. Plus, I have heard really great things about the Paragon.

Do you all know of any other bikes in the 29er category?

Oh, and as far as going full suspension... my buddy has one that has a smart lockout on his for when he is really pumping in the race. He said it is nice to have, but overall he would rather have the hardtail as his suspension just adds weight.

I've been checking all over the net, and nothing compares to mtbr.com. There is almost an information overload.

Thanks again for your help.... been a while since I posted. It's nice to see that everyone is still around and awesome!

Devon
Old 08-29-2006, 02:55 PM

Right....29'r. I overlooked that you were looking at larger wheels.

Honestly, outside of Hybrids (offered by many companies )....and the Gary Fisher Mountain Bike 29's...I don't know of any makers outside of custom builders offering them.

They do seem popular with larger riders though, such as yourself.
Old 08-29-2006, 03:34 PM
Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by ME@VT
Oh, and as far as going full suspension... my buddy has one that has a smart lockout on his for when he is really pumping in the race. He said it is nice to have, but overall he would rather have the hardtail as his suspension just adds weight.
That myth has been totally debunked. Full suspension is faster on the downhills and just as fast everywhere else. I remember reading a story (MTB Action) where they had racers do laps on each style back. They asked the riders which one they were faster on. All the riders said that they were faster on the hard tails. All of the times were faster on the full suspension rigs even thought they were a few pounds heavier. Perhaps it feels faster on a hardtail, but it is not.
I remember when I bought my first full suspension bike. I rode regularly with a group of guys. There were guys slower and faster. I actually became faster on the uphills. The extra traction is remarkable. At the top, they would always wait and let me and another guy that had a full suspension bike go down first.

29er would be way cool.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic