The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-28-2017, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostnote View Post
I don't even attempt to make an amplified acoustic sound exactly like an unamplified one. That way lies madness. I look at them as 2 different things; because they are. Just as an electric guitar doesn't sound normal until you plug it in, an acoustic doesn't sound "normal" until you unplug it. But I do love acoustics amplified - there's an entire world of great tones and fabulous sounds to be had using amplification. It's incredible what you can do with it. It's not the same sound as that guitar you first fell in love with, but rather a whole different thing. The way I see it, that gives me 2 things to love about one guitar. That's a win.
I agree and have become an un-purest. I look at the signal chain and amplification as another instrument to add to the tonal palette. I've developed an affinity for it and enjoy hearing my instruments through good sound.
Old 02-28-2017, 09:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post
…Any other "old timers" in this boat???
Hi guys…
I think I'm probably the other side of the issue. I will say if one buys a great acoustic without electronics and builds the pickup rig afterwords, you get more guitar for the money and a better pickup.

I have been living in a world where my acoustics needed to be amplified to be heard for over 30 years, and was thrilled when I discovered dual source (pickup plus internal mic and preamps) about 20 years ago.

My first decent system was a Baggs dual source with a honking big preamp velcroed to the sound board, and dual volume knobs in the edge of the soundhole, which seemed to need to be adjusted every venue. I played it for nearly 7 years.

When I finally migrated to a K&K Pure Mini, internal mic and outboard Raven and DTAR preamps (over a decade ago), the sound finally allowed me to not focus on the amplification and just play. I have them in every one of my 4 guitars, and they are easy to manage, and always result in good sound through amps or PA systems.

And though I love to sit in the living room and jam, I love being able to fit into any ensemble situation and still be heard over the electric, the bass and the drums (not to mention the keyboards) without pushing or playing harder trying to be heard.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 02-28-2017, 09:13 AM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post

When I finally migrated to a K&K Pure Mini, the sound finally allowed me to not focus on the amplification and just play. I have them in every one of my 4 guitars, and they are easy to manage, and always result in good sound through amps or PA systems.
I've used them exclusively for the last decade as well, and while I feel they are the best, even with a quality external condenser added in, I still have a hard time considering it it "good sound" at times.

I think some of this may have to do with the fact that sound reinforcement speakers are now leaning heavily toward lightweight plastic boxes instead of good old heavy wood cabinets. I have no problem toting weight, so I wish we'd see more of that available still. Thinking retrospectively about this now, it seems the best results have been with the latter.

Old 02-28-2017, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turp View Post
I agree and have become an un-purest. I look at the signal chain and amplification as another instrument to add to the tonal palette. I've developed an affinity for it and enjoy hearing my instruments through good sound.
Yup. Me too.
Old 02-28-2017, 10:27 AM

Quote:
The last few gigs I did were mic only......until about the 5th or 6th time I played the same room and the crowd got much bigger (250 or so) it worked great. ...
Sounds like you're getting some good word of mouth!

I'm a big fan of running the guitars (and other instruments) through an LDC mic. Works for us, but we are playing small rooms at low SPL. I have seen it work really well in larger venues at higher SPL. Done right, nothing sounds as good.
Old 02-28-2017, 10:32 AM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfa View Post
Sounds like you're getting some good word of mouth!

I'm a big fan of running the guitars (and other instruments) through an LDC mic. Works for us, but we are playing small rooms at low SPL. I have seen it work really well in larger venues at higher SPL. Done right, nothing sounds as good.
That was actually a couple years ago - and yes it was picking up at a restaurant about 40 miles from me. The parting of ways came when the manager and I weren't seeing eye to eye on what I was worth

I was using a Blue Encore 300 (and still am) it's by far the best live SDC I've used (and there have been MANY)

I really like the AKG C214 too, but it's just too sensitive for live use in most cases.

Old 02-28-2017, 01:47 PM

I just accept the fact that unless I'm playing at home, my guitars aren't going to sound like my guitars.

I've just joined a show where the I'll be using IEM with all control of my front of house "acoustic" sound in the very capable hands of our soundman. I'll never really know what it sounds like out there so I'll just have to leave it to someone who does.
Old 02-28-2017, 06:09 PM

I accept the fact that amplifying an acoustic guitar is a set of compromises that vary from setting to setting. Ideally, I can use a condenser microphone and I can hear what I want to hear. Some places are simply sonic nightmares and I should just bring an electric guitar and amp.
Old 02-28-2017, 06:35 PM

+1 on the Bag Ends.
Still have my 12C Jr's !
There used to be a magazine called Guitar Shop in the nineties.
One issue described a set up for acoustic amplification, namely a BBE acoustic pre amp, QSC power amp, nanoverb , and the bag ends.
Problem was my clacky piezo pick up !
Spent so many years trying to get an acoustic sound I liked.
Finally settled on a Fishman ellipse blend pup with a fishman loudbox mini.
Like the sound but have had feedback issues on stage with the internal mike.
Old 02-28-2017, 07:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I've used them exclusively for the last decade as well, and while I feel they are the best, even with a quality external condenser added in, I still have a hard time considering it it "good sound" at times.

I think some of this may have to do with the fact that sound reinforcement speakers are now leaning heavily toward lightweight plastic boxes instead of good old heavy wood cabinets. I have no problem toting weight, so I wish we'd see more of that available still. Thinking retrospectively about this now, it seems the best results have been with the latter.
Hi fitness

If you read my whole post, you know I play dual source K&K with fairly expensive outboard preamps and the sound is always the best in the house wherever I play (compared to other pickups in the room).

Plenty of high quality heavy cabinets out there (used), and if you push them with adequate clean wattage, you can get a very full sound from them.

My point is since I was faced with no choice but to amplify, I opted for a moderately expensive, more acoustically accurate pickup rig for all my guitars. When I landed on the dual source I knew I was into something. When I finally had the K&K installed, I was comfortable with the sound representing my guitar playing and I could relax and just play not obsess over the rig.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 02-28-2017, 07:57 PM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi fitness

If you read my whole post, you know I play dual source K&K with fairly expensive outboard preamps and the sound is always the best in the house
I did before I posted - thanks

Old 03-01-2017, 05:59 AM
Charter Member

Excellent acoustic guitar pickup/preamp systems to consider are the Trance Audio Amulet products: Trance Amulet M Dual Mono and Trance Amulet Stereo.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 03-01-2017, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostnote View Post
I don't even attempt to make an amplified acoustic sound exactly like an unamplified one. That way lies madness. I look at them as 2 different things; because they are. Just as an electric guitar doesn't sound normal until you plug it in, an acoustic doesn't sound "normal" until you unplug it. But I do love acoustics amplified - there's an entire world of great tones and fabulous sounds to be had using amplification. It's incredible what you can do with it. It's not the same sound as that guitar you first fell in love with, but rather a whole different thing. The way I see it, that gives me 2 things to love about one guitar. That's a win.
This is where I'm at when it comes to the acoustic guitar. Can't add a thing to this statement.
The Old Lady
Goldilocks
Flipper

"Sometimes I play a song I never heard before" Thelonious Monk
Old 03-01-2017, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Pennant View Post
This is where I'm at when it comes to the acoustic guitar. Can't add a thing to this statement.
I'm in the same club.
It's really two different animals.
The only thing I would add is if you have the time or take the time in a venue where everything to do with the amplification is in your hands and if you have the right stuff, you can get very close to the acoustic sound of your guitar.
That probably happens less than 5% of the time. I hate it personally, but that's the way it is.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 03-01-2017, 09:18 AM

I'm absolutely with you on this Todd (and another old guy! ; ) I just sold a JBL EonOne that I test drove for a couple of months because it sounded -- to my ears -- a bit harsh with the rest of my rig. I reminisce about all of the gear I've been through, and it may be that an old California Blonde was what sounded best to my old ears. I may time-warp 20 years and get back in to one.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification