The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-25-2017, 07:37 PM
Charter Member

Default Connecting 2 Schertler amps?

So a while back I was looking for a Schertler extension speaker - couldn't find one - but yesterday, a virtually unused Unico Classic was offered near me on Craigslist, so I went for that instead. It is incredible sounding for acoustic instruments and vocals -

But I was looking at the tops of them, and they both have some ability to send signal to another device, so it got me thinking -

Is there a safe and reasonable way to interconnect these 2, sharing signal with each other so they act kinda like a stereo pair? I would like to keep my mic and guitars inputs available, but send some signal into maybe the effects loop of the other amp, and create a kinda stereo mix with the 2?

Any thoughts appreciated - and any warnings well heeded!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jam-150-5-g.jpg (28.1 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg LS_Schertler_Unico_02.jpg (61.3 KB, 55 views)
Old 02-25-2017, 08:14 PM
Charter Member

Well, there is no standard, simple and hygienic way to connect the two.

Assuming you want to go fro the Jam to the Unico, the best way may be to exit the Jam from the balanced line out, patch into a step down DI box (so that the signal is lowered to balanced mic level) and then go into the Unico mic channel.

Another way would be to go from the RCA Rec Out to the Stat in channel on the Unico (unbalanced RCA to TS cable).
Old 02-25-2017, 10:59 PM
Charter Member

What I'm trying to do is hook up one guitar, and possibly 2 mice, into each amp, then run some of the signal out from each amp over to the other, so all the feed from each amp comes thru as a single background channel in the other amp - making things sort of stereo - does that make sense? I assume the bass will have its own amp, and we e never had to mic the drums -
Old 02-25-2017, 11:33 PM

I was going to answer like I knew what I was doing, but alas, I don't know what I am doing. For what it's worth, in theory, shouldn't you be able to take a DI out of one amp and put it into one of the channels of the other? Then do it again for the other amp? That eats up a channel on both amps that way. Which is not what you want to do.
Oregon Duck Fan
Guitars by: Collings, Bourgeois, Taylor
Pickups by: Dazzo
Preamps by: Sunnaudio
Amps by: Bose (S1)
Grateful
Old 02-25-2017, 11:55 PM
Charter Member

You're right - I think it'd be fine , but I'm hoping some folks here understand the finer details of all this - maybe I could connect in thru the RCA inputs, or maybe the DI out? Or should I use the effects send/return? I don't know if there's a particular reason to absolutely not do it one way, or maybe a really good reason to do it one specific way - or maybe, I'm just overthinking it!!
Old 02-26-2017, 01:11 AM

Hi

This is how I do it when using mono sources:

Every mono signals goes to one JAM (left one)

Then I use the FX send to send the signals to the second JAM (right).

To adjust the PAN (left-right), I use the fx volume pots (green squarred) to control the amount of each signal on the right amp. And I use the normal volume pots to control the amount of volume of each signal on the left amp.

If both volumes are equal, the audio signal appears centered. If there is more volume on the right amp, the signal appears to be on the right side.

Note that If I use the beatbuddy stereo outputs, then each outputs is sent to its respective amp.
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 02-26-2017, 05:26 AM

Might connect everything to a a small mixer first and run left to one amp and right to the other.
Old 02-26-2017, 06:13 AM

Of course that's the most sensible thing to do.

I am going towards that direction but I've sold my Yamaha MG10XU and I am currently looking for a cheap second-hand A&H ZED10FX.

Cuki
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 02-26-2017, 12:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadol View Post
What I'm trying to do is hook up one guitar, and possibly 2 mice, into each amp, then run some of the signal out from each amp over to the other, so all the feed from each amp comes thru as a single background channel in the other amp - making things sort of stereo - does that make sense? I assume the bass will have its own amp, and we e never had to mic the drums -
No can do.

A passive mixer will work.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification