The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-23-2017, 08:34 AM

Default LR Baggs Anthem SL

I just had three more of these put in some of my guitars. I highly recommend them.
Once you get the microphone portion dialed in, you can reproduce your acoustics unamplified voice extremely well through a PA or whatever. I also use a Fishman Platinum Pro to tweak the EQ to suit my tastes.
Baggs has done a great job with this product.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 02-23-2017, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
I just had three more of these put in some of my guitars. I highly recommend them.
Once you get the microphone portion dialed in, you can reproduce your acoustics unamplified voice extremely well through a PA or whatever. I also use a Fishman Platinum Pro to tweak the EQ to suit my tastes.
Baggs has done a great job with this product.
It can depend on the guitar as well. I own a Taylor that has a fairly bright voice. Due to the fact that the SL version relies more on the tru-mic, I struggle with making my guitar sound fat and warm. Instead it's thin and bright. I think it's a great pickup but I bet it would pair better with something like a Martin.
Old 02-23-2017, 10:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
It can depend on the guitar as well. I own a Taylor that has a fairly bright voice. Due to the fact that the SL version relies more on the tru-mic, I struggle with making my guitar sound fat and warm. Instead it's thin and bright. I think it's a great pickup but I bet it would pair better with something like a Martin.
How's that Trance Amulet M treating you?
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 02-23-2017, 05:29 PM

Quote:
I can see that being the case. I use a Fishman Platinum Pro D.I. / EQ with my Pono due to brightness and other issues like room acoustics. I also find that when running through a mixer and powered speakers if I keep the SL volume lower and use the mixer and/ or the speakers for loudness I can get a very nice repro of the acoustic voice of the guitar. I also mix the SL mic at only about 20% on that particular guitar. Anything more and it gets a little brittle. My dread is fine without much fuss. Run the mic mix at about 35% on that guitar. That SL mic can be touchy if your acoustic has lots of overtones too.The compression feature on the Fishman takes care of that.No doubt on a warmer or woody-voiced guitar, the SL is a good match. Once I have stuff dialed in it works out pretty well and I'm used to doing that.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 02-23-2017, 07:36 PM

Quote:
It does pair well with Martin. I love mine in my Martin D-16.
Old 02-24-2017, 03:10 PM

I've also been happy with my Anthem SL rig, but dialing it in (to suit my taste) with just the mic level screw was impossible for me. The best I could do was a tone which was simultaneously too muddy in the bass and too shrill on the treble end. I finally got satisfaction using a Zoom A3's EQ capabilities to tame both the bass end and the treble end. With the A3, I can run a six band graphic EQ and a two band parametric EQ in series. It also has an additional three band manual EQ which can be used for quick & dirty adjustments at the gig.

On the one occasion that I mistakenly left the A3 at home, I found that I could approximate my EQ adjustments with a seven band Boss graphic EQ.

Of the many mono output pickups that I've tried to date, the Anthem SL has been my favorite.
Old 02-24-2017, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaniac View Post
I've also been happy with my Anthem SL rig, but dialing it in (to suit my taste) with just the mic level screw was impossible for me. The best I could do was a tone which was simultaneously too muddy in the bass and too shrill on the treble end. I finally got satisfaction using a Zoom A3's EQ capabilities to tame both the bass end and the treble end. With the A3, I can run a six band graphic EQ and a two band parametric EQ in series. It also has an additional three band manual EQ which can be used for quick & dirty adjustments at the gig.

On the one occasion that I mistakenly left the A3 at home, I found that I could approximate my EQ adjustments with a seven band Boss graphic EQ.

Of the many mono output pickups that I've tried to date, the Anthem SL has been my favorite.
I found something interesting this past weekend. I was told that the best way to adjust the SL was to back the mic level screw all the way towards the saddle where the tone is muddy and then slowly increase it to get the desired high end. I was never happy with the results so before my show, I cranked it all the way to the saddle, which should be too muddy. However, I actually found that I liked the tone and just added some high end with my external preamp.

The one thing I will say is that Baggs should have included a better adjustment knob for the SL. That tiny screw is a pain and I sometimes wonder if it's moving at all.
Old 02-24-2017, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
How's that Trance Amulet M treating you?
Started installing it, got super busy with work and went back to the Anthem due to a show. I want to try the Amulet but the problem is that the Anthem is working well right now so I can't justify ripping it out. Hopefully I get a new guitar that I can try it in.
Old 03-01-2017, 03:25 PM

Quote:
I found something interesting this past weekend. I was told that the best way to adjust the SL was to back the mic level screw all the way towards the saddle where the tone is muddy and then slowly increase it to get the desired high end. I was never happy with the results so before my show, I cranked it all the way to the saddle, which should be too muddy. However, I actually found that I liked the tone and just added some high end with my external preamp.

The one thing I will say is that Baggs should have included a better adjustment knob for the SL. That tiny screw is a pain and I sometimes wonder if it's moving at all.
Repeating my earlier post somewhat:
This is precisely how I was told to make the adjustment. Following those instructions on the various guitars I have the SL's in I am able to get the best balance of mic and UST. I do this at home through my mixer and powered speakers. In my Pono Round Shoulder dread which is a very bright guitar with a lot of bottom I have maybe 10% microphone and I use my Fishman Platinum Pro EQ to add some lower mids and dial back the trebles and the bass for the best possible blend. it works great.
On my Eastman Dread, I can dial in approximately 35% mic and that sounds very good with a few minor tweaks of the EQ. I don't find I need to make any further changes with the mic percentage after that. I just use my EQ to get the right balance if I switch guitars during a performance and it's pretty easy. The guys at Baggs told me that in reality once you have the mic dialed in from the get-go, you shouldn't need to fool with it much after that. So far, that has been the case. I would agree that the SL works best on warmer sounding guitars. The fact is if you want a two-way system it's likely you will need some sort of EQ in my opinion.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Squier CV 50 Telecaster

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification