The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-22-2017, 12:40 PM

Thanks Dave:

Fantastic review. Not sure I'm ready to let go of my Fishstick, but when/if I do, your thorough review has convinced me that this unit is presently where I would go next.

http://www.reverbnation.com/museric?...eader_icon_nav

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxt...-_xka6GsUr9v4Q

https://soundcloud.com/museric-1

Breedlove American C25/SSe
Delgado Candelas Jumbo
Eastman AC420
Eastman E10D
Eastman E10SS
Fender (MIM) Stratocaster
Old 02-22-2017, 12:44 PM
Charter Member

thanks for an excellent well-written review.
Old 02-22-2017, 12:57 PM

Thanks for taking the time to write a thoughtful review!
Old 02-22-2017, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotValid View Post
OK now your starting to kill my gas. lol
But I'm glad. This unit is overkill for what I need but the other options are not as desirable. Looking for a portable P.A Thats battery powered but sounds better than a Cube Street, etc. My other choice is the Laney AH4x4 but the lack of a proper EQ has me put off. What I would really like is the Carvin S600b but in a smaller package wattage wise (maybe even reduce the drivers by 1") but keep all the goodies like the 6 channel on board mixer. That would be a great from home to gig solution. The ultimate Buskers amp that doesn't sound like a cheap boxy busker amp. I would imagine there to be a big market for such a device. Or an updated S600 with a small room switch doohickey which attenuates it so it sounds good in a low volume small room setting.
I have an AH4x4 and thought it would be my solution for all my outdoor performing problems but it isn't. Previously, I was using a Roland AC-33 which I think just wasn't loud enough, and after switching to the AH4x4, I still find that not being loud enough. So I am bringing both of them out nowadays, with my mic and guitar going into the AC-33 (for EQ and tone) and then line out to the AH4x4 (for better reach and volume). The current setup irks me because I'm bringing more things than I'd like but it's been bringing me about 40% more income from busking probably due to the extra volume and reach. The combined weight is close to 11kg, which is what the Carvin weighs.

The S600B seems like the one-stop-solution for me at this point in time but I'm very reluctant to blow another substantial amount after just owning the AH4x4 for half a year. Just like what another sir mentioned, I'd really appreciate a slightly smaller/lighter version!
Old 02-22-2017, 02:34 PM

Default Dave's 30-Day Carvin S600B Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by necrome View Post
I have an AH4x4 and thought it would be my solution for all my outdoor performing problems but it isn't. Previously, I was using a Roland AC-33 which I think just wasn't loud enough, and after switching to the AH4x4, I still find that not being loud enough. So I am bringing both of them out nowadays, with my mic and guitar going into the AC-33 (for EQ and tone) and then line out to the AH4x4 (for better reach and volume). The current setup irks me because I'm bringing more things than I'd like but it's been bringing me about 40% more income from busking probably due to the extra volume and reach. The combined weight is close to 11kg, which is what the Carvin weighs.

The S600B seems like the one-stop-solution for me at this point in time but I'm very reluctant to blow another substantial amount after just owning the AH4x4 for half a year. Just like what another sir mentioned, I'd really appreciate a slightly smaller/lighter version!

Based on what you've noted, I don't think there is an equally powerful, self contained, battery operated unit that's any smaller or lighter. Once you set it in person, you'll realize how small it actually is.

Seems a shame to lose on a 6 month old investment. Perhaps you can can recoup some of that cost by reselling the AH4x4?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 02-22-2017, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earri View Post
Thanks Dave:

Fantastic review. Not sure I'm ready to let go of my Fishstick, but when/if I do, your thorough review has convinced me that this unit is presently where I would go next.

Earri, very good! Do note, however, that you'd probably want the S600B and another S648 stacked to get the full power from the amplifier. Just something to consider if you are budgeting. They sell them as a pair at a discount.

Old 02-23-2017, 12:32 AM

Dave,
You've truly raised the bar for show-n-tell / gigging with the gear, reviews. Most excellent!

My big problem is to chose between the S600 (no batt needed for me) and the brown 3-way guitar box AG300 Carvin makes. I guess I need to just go to the showroom with my axe in hand and turn it lose! (I live in San Diego)

I'm also considering an EV ZLX12P (12" 2 way PA speaker) with a GoRack micro-mixer. I don't really need onboard reverb or effects. Got a good TC Elec rack unit for that. I tried a mid-priced Martin into the EV and it sounded pretty amazing! Stuck it on a pole and it was amazing and higher.

I guess the question for you is, how's the coverage / dispersion of the S600B? The specs say 110 H x 40 V. In your real life usage, did it cover the area you hoped for? (typical P.A. speakers cover 100 H x 60 V)

Alvarez ABT60 Bari Nat/ABT60E Rust-burst
Cordoba Flamenco GK Studio Zircote
D'Angelico Lexington Dred
Ibanez AC240 OM hog
2x Martin DSR Dred rosewood
Martin DSM Dred hog
Martin full Ovangkol Dred
Martin D-35 (2019)
Yamaha A5M Jap Cust Shop Dred
Yamaha A3M Dred
Yamaha A4K full Koa Dred
Bose S1 Pro
JBL Eon 1 original (2 each)

Objects in the future are closer then they appear.
Old 02-23-2017, 03:20 AM

The thing that irks me about some of the other options (BA330,4X4, etc) is the lack of a proper 3 band EQ which should come as a standard option for musical applification instruments. Other wise they look like toys or student instruments. I think portable line array is the way of the future and its only a matter of time until more options come to the market making the BA330 and the like obsolete. Laney came really close with the 4x4. Thomann no longer carries this item (as of very recently) so maybe Laney is going to come out with an updated version? They just released the 4x4 last year. What Carvin could do is make a 50w version of the S600b with the possability to attenuate it to 10w or "eco" mode. Can even slant the box so it can act as a monitor for a full blown S600 P.A system. I hope Carvin is reading this. Lol
Old 02-23-2017, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotValid View Post
The thing that irks me about some of the other options (BA330,4X4, etc) is the lack of a proper 3 band EQ which should come as a standard option for musical applification instruments. Other wise they look like toys or student instruments. I think portable line array is the way of the future and its only a matter of time until more options come to the market making the BA330 and the like obsolete. Overnight. Laney came really close with the 4x4. Thomann no longer carries this item (as of very recently) so maybe Laney is going to come out with an updated version? They just released the 4x4 last year. What Carvin could do is make a 50w version of the S600b with the possability to attenuate it to 10w or "eco" mode. Can even slant the box so it can act as a monitor for a full blown S600 P.A system. I hope Carvin is reading this. Lol
Carvin ain't even reading my e-mails, and I'm wanting to give them my money!
Old 02-23-2017, 03:30 AM

Thanks Dave. Great review. Sounds perfect for your purpose. Do you intend to use it as a stand alone or with your Play Acoustic?

Wonder why they don't make the acoustic amps with battery power as an option?
Old 02-23-2017, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadowKnows View Post
Dave,

You've truly raised the bar for show-n-tell / gigging with the gear, reviews. Most excellent!

My big problem is to chose between the S600 (no batt needed for me) and the brown 3-way guitar box AG300 Carvin makes. I guess I need to just go to the showroom with my axe in hand and turn it lose! (I live in San Diego)

I'm also considering an EV ZLX12P (12" 2 way PA speaker) with a GoRack micro-mixer. I don't really need onboard reverb or effects. Got a good TC Elec rack unit for that. I tried a mid-priced Martin into the EV and it sounded pretty amazing! Stuck it on a pole and it was amazing and higher.

I guess the question for you is, how's the coverage / dispersion of the S600B? The specs say 110 H x 40 V. In your real life usage, did it cover the area you hoped for? (typical P.A. speakers cover 100 H x 60 V)

Thank you! The coverage is as advertised as far as I can tell. I would say perhaps even a little better horizontal.

Old 02-23-2017, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty C View Post
Thanks Dave. Great review. Sounds perfect for your purpose. Do you intend to use it as a stand alone or with your Play Acoustic?

Wonder why they don't make the acoustic amps with battery power as an option?

Hi Marty,

Indeed it is a nice unit. However, it probably isn't what I need long term because of the way the box is voiced.

I'm in the category of player I described as needing a solo system with warmer low volume performance.

Long term, I'll probably go with a Bose L1 type unit to get the benefits of a line array with the warmth at rehearsal volume.

Old 02-23-2017, 07:31 AM

I'm still (rarely) using a powered mixer and passive speakers...dinosaur...
Don't you find the mixer on the back of the speaker a little difficult to deal with?
Does it pop out or something ?
Apologies if I missed that ...
Old 02-23-2017, 09:15 AM

Default Dave's 30-Day Carvin S600B Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank4001 View Post
I'm still (rarely) using a powered mixer and passive speakers...dinosaur...

Don't you find the mixer on the back of the speaker a little difficult to deal with?

Does it pop out or something ?

Apologies if I missed that ...

You're on point with that criticism. Using it live means the speaker is designed to be in front of the performers. So you need a personal monitor. As part of a full PA system, that's not a problem. But for solo performer, I think the systems that double as monitors are preferable. Unless, you have a set it and forget it kind of rig and seldom access the mixer once you start.

Last edited by martingitdave; 02-23-2017 at 05:01 PM.
Old 02-23-2017, 02:36 PM

I'll just add my thank you to all those above.
This is the kind of "real world" impression that has been lacking
on this product until now.

Still digesting this discussion.

Thanks, Dave!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification