The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-01-2017, 09:51 AM
Charter Member

None of my business but I wouldn't mount anything on a high end guitar. They look tacky, IMO. I might install one to go with the preamp on my Tak but it is not a high end guitar by any stretch, it is a working man's stage guitar. What I would do is install a K&K and then get a higher end K&K preamp to run it.

As was mentioned they do make a kit that you can use a traditional end pin but they are costly.

If you are hell bent on mounting a sound hole pick up I have no suggestions.
Old 02-01-2017, 04:49 PM

I settled on the dimarzio angel. i think it's a good match for my guitar (Santa Cruz D). i tried a sunrise and a baggs m1. they're both good but I thought needed more eq than I wanted to deal with. I use a fire eye Di with the boost and the simple eq on that works pretty good for going into a pa. or I plug it into my acoustic amp and use the controls on that. With the Angel I basically bring down the mids either on the amp or ask to have it done by the soundperson if needed.
Old 02-01-2017, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcopper View Post
the Sunrise is still the best mag I have ever used. I use it on a 914 which also has a K&K pm installed. Sometimes i just use the Sunrise alone. I have a stereo output and the Sunrise is on the tip. When used in conjunction with the K&K it sounds really full and sweet. Used alone it still sounds excellent. I often use the SB1 preamp with it but I can get great sound from an amp or PA without the preamp.

I also have an M80 which is really like a multi-source pickup. It gives you good string definition and good body tone from the humbucker which also senses the body vibration. It is mounted in a 814 cocobolo LTD also with a K&K pickup installed.

Not a fan of the M1 Active but I think the M1 is an excellent pickup as well. The M80 which is far more $$, gives you the best of active and passive worlds.

The Fishman Rare Earth humbucker is not bad - just a bit more electric in tone, but you can still get great live sound with it. The Blend version has the nice option of adding some air from the mic.

There is no problem if you choose to run the cable out of the soundhole on any of the mags. I have mine mounted to a mini-jack which goes to the guitar stereo output so I can remove the mags if I want to. I really don't remove the Sunrise and have seen no damage to the top or soundhole.

My dos centavos
I have the M1A and like it a lot. What kind of issues did you have with it? I have the pole pieces dialed in really well in mine and it sounds very natural.
Old 02-01-2017, 07:05 PM

Default Soundhole pickup

You might want to to check out K&K, they have a new Soundhole pickup that can be linked to their Pure Mini. I have one but haven't put it in a guitar as yet.
Old 02-01-2017, 08:02 PM

I had an M1A and it appears there had been some kind of manufacturing issue with the original version. It had a terrible nasal honk that you just could not eliminate with the best of eq. The folks at LR Baggs were very responsive and basically refunded me through my local dealer. I used the refund to purchase the M80 (had to add some cash).
I have a solid respect for Baggs products so my experience was different. I think the M1A has a bit more electric tone than the M1(passive). That being said, it is all in the ears of the beholder. I am sure you can get a good setup with an M1A, it just did not work for me. I tried the newer version and it was FAR BETTER, but the M80 to my ears sounded far better.
It is all good and just incredible that we have these many choices.
davids
Old 02-02-2017, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcopper View Post
I had an M1A and it appears there had been some kind of manufacturing issue with the original version. It had a terrible nasal honk that you just could not eliminate with the best of eq. The folks at LR Baggs were very responsive and basically refunded me through my local dealer. I used the refund to purchase the M80 (had to add some cash).
I have a solid respect for Baggs products so my experience was different. I think the M1A has a bit more electric tone than the M1(passive). That being said, it is all in the ears of the beholder. I am sure you can get a good setup with an M1A, it just did not work for me. I tried the newer version and it was FAR BETTER, but the M80 to my ears sounded far better.
It is all good and just incredible that we have these many choices.
davids
I am glad LR Baggs took care of you. While I haven't tried the M80 it looks like it would be a good pickup. I play guitar at my church and we have 2 locations, one has a good PA so I just plug into the system, and at the other location I use my fishman loudbox mini amp if the m80 were out when I bought m1a, I may have bought the M80. I heard that there is a passive mode and also an active mode so it would have worked out well for me. That being said the M1a has worked out well for me.
Old 02-21-2017, 10:33 PM

I also have had great success with the sunrise, curious about the differences between their preamp/buffer boxes mono or stereo vs. other compatible preamps or mixer preamps.
What is the critical spec to drive the pickup correctly?
Will it work just as effectively with other preamps or is the sunrise buffer box more ideal?
Old 02-22-2017, 12:20 AM

I recently added a Seymour Duncan MagMic to my guitar that already has a K&K in it.
I like the combination of those 2 pickups.... 3 if you count the mic on the MagMic
Old 02-22-2017, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fret-O'File View Post
I've used the Schertler MAG-6 & S-mic and love the sound.
+1

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Old 02-22-2017, 06:16 AM

A second for the M80. The Sunrise is a great pickup but VERY heavy. The M80 is 95% and less than 1/2 the weight. The sound is very transparent. I use the M80 in my Gibson J45 and (now) my Rainsong WS1000. Prior to that, in my McIlroy A30 - highly recommended.

"The road goes on forever and the party never ends."

2012 Rainsong CO-WS1000N2
2023 Gibson J-45
2022 Stew Mac Acoustic Kit Guitar
2021 Stew Mac Acoustic Guitar Kit
Old 02-22-2017, 07:08 AM

And then there is this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VL1hix1FboE

You're welcome.
Old 02-24-2017, 12:12 PM

First, not sure why you would be hesitant with an Anthem since it's just double sided taped inside your guitar. But if your heart is set on a sound hole, I got an M80 recently and absolutely LOVE it. Way better than most other SH due to the body sensing element. It can get aggressive like a mag and gentle like a soundboard transducer. But as Doug pointed out, long term most any SH pickup will leave a mark on your guitar. I put mine in a less expensive guitar, and kept the Anthem in my premium guitar.
'13 Jaffrey #26 - Malaysian Blackwood!
'21 Gretsch 5622
'22 Furch Red Pure G-LR - Barbera Soloist
ST-300 Mini + DIY mic preamp

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification