The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 06-26-2013, 07:04 AM

Default Anyone know how make a video on Mac iMovie using an external mic?

I can get signal shown on the input window using my Apogee mic input, but when I record there is nothing. Ideas?
Old 06-26-2013, 08:01 AM
Charter Member

you might try one of these they are off the apple web sight

Re: How to record with en external mic
Simple fix. I went through the same thing. Before you launch your iMovie, go to system preferences, then go to Sound , and select whatever mic you're using instead of your built in.

THEN launch iMovie. Your built in cam will now record audio with the selected device.

If you're still having trouble, this may sound silly, but plug it into the first usb port. Sometimes my macbook pro get's weird. But it shouldn't. It'll work fine.
Macbook pro, Mac OS X (10.6.6)
Like (0)

Calculating status...
TheIndyJohn
Re: How to record with en external mic
This bothered me, too. Here's what works when trying to use an external mic to record live in iMovie without a pre-amp - i.e., your typical powered condenser mic:

- Open iMovie, click on the Microphone icon in the middle of the screen, "Record a Voiceover" and set Line-in as the source.

- Click iMovie > File > Import from Camera

- Click Capture. Be sure to test that the external mic is working.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 06-26-2013, 09:04 AM

Thanks for the info. It worked. I just recorded something and am posting it on my YouTube channel now. I'd love it if you guys would check it out an see what you think.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:18 AM

"Unbroken promise" cover?

For some reason, your overall volume is very LOW!!

I also hear quite a lot of ambient noise too (room noise?)
Old 06-26-2013, 09:34 AM

Yes. Unbroken promise cover. Hmmm. I don't know how to increase the overall volume an make the dead air go away. I'm using the only mic I have the Shure Beta 58A. It is a vocal mic and needs to be close to the source, but I have to share it with my guitar and try to find a balance where both guitar and vocals are heard.
I think I will need to get a better mic or figure out how to layer guitar and vocals together and sync them up to make a congruent video. I'm pretty new at the Mac thing.
Old 06-26-2013, 03:07 PM

Just hang out around here Jeff. I'm pretty sure sooner or later the MASTERS will chime in and reveal the tricks for your problem.

I don't use MAC, so I have no clue what's going on. But I normally use 58a beta for my gig but then again never use it for recording.

My uneducated guess is the culprit is not at the mic but I guess you have to know how to work around the MAC. Is there any internal volume control for mic somewhere in that MAC?
Old 06-26-2013, 09:58 PM

Jeff,

I just record my audio using my home studio recording gear. At the same time I am recording, I set up a home video camera to record the video. Then, I import the video into iMovie, make my edits, then export it as a .mov file. I open up my recording software, Logic Pro 9, that I used to record the audio, import the .mov file, and sync the audio to the video.

Sounds easy huh?
Old 06-27-2013, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Shepherd View Post
Jeff,

I just record my audio using my home studio recording gear. At the same time I am recording, I set up a home video camera to record the video. Then, I import the video into iMovie, make my edits, then export it as a .mov file. I open up my recording software, Logic Pro 9, that I used to record the audio, import the .mov file, and sync the audio to the video.

Sounds easy huh?
Hahaha. Sure it does. I don't know if I even have Logic. I use garage band that came on the Mac. Is it possible to do the same thing with GarageBand?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD