The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 03-06-2012, 04:44 PM

Default recommendations for F style mandolin

I would appreciate recommendations for luthier-built F style mandolins that would compare to the offerings from Collings and Weber. The price point is $2500-5500.

Thanks
Old 03-06-2012, 08:31 PM

Lou Stiver
Skip Peyre (Grey Eagle)
Larry Muth

There are plenty others, but these guys build great mandolins in your price point.

I'd go with an a-model though. Just sayin' it's much more bang for your buck.

f-d
Old 03-06-2012, 11:04 PM

I was going to recommend a Loar but you're $195k short,
Old 03-07-2012, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retropicker View Post
I was going to recommend a Loar but you're $195k short,
yeah, darn! I think Gruhn has one.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:23 PM

Fatt-dad,

I had also thought of Bentrup, Ellis, & Phoenix. Thanks for the info.
Old 03-14-2012, 05:47 PM
Charter Member

Dave Cohen and Bill Bussman (Old Wave) make some nice instruments in that price range. In my experience, some really nice handmade mandolins are a bit rougher than the factory-made stuff. I'm not talking sloppy by any means but just a little less slick. The finish around the scroll might be slightly less refined, for example. This is the case with Gibsons, both old and new but some of the newer factories like Weber and Collings, build immaculate instruments. In the guitar world, the kinds of imperfections found in many mandolins would dissuade many potential purchasers (including me, in some cases). But having had a Cohen, Bussman, and Weber (the latter, a very high-end model Bighorn), I much preferred both of the first two to the last. The Weber was visually exquisite - a perfectly cut jewel. But the Cohen and Bussman were far superior mandolins in my judgment. Not everyone would agree and Weber has many fans. I traded the Weber and the Bussman for guitars and did better on the Weber because it's better known. But the Bussman was a much better-sounding mandolin and my Cohen surpasses both.

So, it's important, I think, to decide exactly what you're after. Bussman and Cohen make beautiful, finely-crafted mandolins but they're not as glossy as a Weber. They're each made by one guy at a bench, not a line of people in a factory. Although the craftsmanship is superb, the look (wood bindings, softer finish luster) is more that of a handmade than a factory made mando. Now Collings seems to get both right, making the most perfect mandolins I've ever encountered while retaining a killer tone and playability.

So, I guess what I'm saying is don't limit yourself to the "big names." You may miss some great mandolins in the process.

Also, I completely agree that you'll get more bang for your buck with an A-style. Mandolins have carved tops and backs, which are labor intensive to make. Adding a scroll to the task significantly increases the labor involved in carving, binding, and finishing but contributes nothing to the tone. They look very cool (I own both A-style and F-style) but the smart money pays for better tone rather than a fancier appearance. F-hole vs oval hole is a different matter entirely. The two sound different, with most F-hole mandolins have a more percussive sound that projects better while an oval hole has a gentler sound that is less directional and focused. But the scroll and points (irrespective of the type of soundhole) are sonically irrelevant.
Old 03-14-2012, 08:09 PM

Mandolin Cafe classifieds 250 mandolins for sale you can get an idea of builders and their price range.
Old 03-20-2012, 03:48 PM

Mrkrgr- Yes, I have looked over the classifieds at MC. I just don't know as much about the mandolin makers as guitar makers.

Bob- I have had several luthier-built guitars made and have several higher tier small shop guitars. I understand your point completely.

Thanx.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:58 AM

Hans Brentrup no longer builds mandolins. I'd love one though!

f-d

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments