The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 02-11-2012, 01:05 PM

Default Anyone make a parlor or similar resonator?

I'm not 100% sold on getting a resonator but it's something that keeps coming back to me as a fun option. However I am only really comfortable playing guitars smaller than a 00. 13.5" at the lower bout (pretty much a single 0 I guess) is where I'm really comfortable. Does anyone make a resonator with a lower bout in this range or even smaller? I haven't run across one yet but I'd imagine it's out there somewhere. Thanks!
Old 02-11-2012, 02:26 PM

republic does. And tenor resonators. And ukes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oi46j...eature=related
Old 02-11-2012, 04:55 PM

Can't find a 'solo' pic of mine, but here it is with some others:

On the left, with a couple of repros, (I still own only the reso of those three).

Here, in an odd comparison to a BSX acoustic/electric 7/8 scale upright bass. (I'm amused that the lower bout is approx the same size on both.)
BTW, the pickup rig on the parlor reso is vintage (70s?), and has a kind of p90 sound. I have no idea who made it, love more info if anyone out there knows... The parlor reso is probably Republic, though it has no name anywhere. I've had two other Republics, including the Highway 61 (Johnny Winter) model 3/4 scale 'travel reso'. I liked the sound, playability and weight of that guitar, but alas it had neck/fret problems that were not worth fixing. This last reso that I have is a keeper. It is a big hit at music parties, where every guitarist in the place has to give 'er a try for a few tunes. I've probably heard 30 folks play it, and I've never heard anyone sound particularly bad on it...
Aside from the addition of the pickup, it has had no modification that I am aware of aside from a set-up.

Last edited by PaulData; 02-11-2012 at 04:58 PM. Reason: Grammar (and Grampar too)
Old 02-11-2012, 06:40 PM

Last edited by slinco; 08-02-2012 at 07:48 AM.
Old 02-11-2012, 08:30 PM

I'd think Hans Brentrup could make you a nice parlor guitar.

http://www.brentrup.com/index.html

f-d
Old 02-15-2012, 02:00 AM

Busker Guitars here in the UK do, i think they're the same as the republic ones. Shipping to the states may be prohibitive though.
Old 02-15-2012, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paganskins View Post
Busker Guitars here in the UK do, i think they're the same as the republic ones. Shipping to the states may be prohibitive though.
Not worth it, because as you say they are the same guitar. However, it would only be about $60 more or so. We don't have the taxes you have yet, and only rarely get hit with customs fees. Go to one of the U.S. Electric guitar forums and look up posts about buying from Japan. Shipping and handling is only like $140 and most get their guitars in less than a week after shipping! And while most have heard stories about someone getting hit with customs fees, nobody who's done it on the board seem to have been...
Old 02-16-2012, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrillhouse View Post
I'm not 100% sold on getting a resonator but it's something that keeps coming back to me as a fun option. However I am only really comfortable playing guitars smaller than a 00. 13.5" at the lower bout (pretty much a single 0 I guess) is where I'm really comfortable. Does anyone make a resonator with a lower bout in this range or even smaller? I haven't run across one yet but I'd imagine it's out there somewhere. Thanks!
Here you go:
http://bernunzio.com/product/republic-resolian-14890/

Looks like it would be a blast to play!
Old 02-16-2012, 11:04 AM

I tried one of those just a few days ago and thought it was a great little guitar - if I was in the market for a smaller reso it would be a serious contender.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:57 PM

Thanks for the replies...haven't forgotten about this thread just don't get to this section much.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:26 AM
Charter Member

Those Republics are very interesting! I've recently become enamored with shorter scale twelve frets due to some hand pain issues, and I never would have guessed I could find a single cone metal bodied reso like that.

Ken
Emerald Balor 5 string, Taylor GS-Mini Bass, RainSong SGA-FLE, WS1000 Classic N1 and WS3000 N1, Republic Resolian Style 804, Royall Teardrop Tenor Reso
A few electrics, a bunch of basses
Wandering the continent - CA > IL > NH > TX (for good, hopefully)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments