The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 01-09-2015, 02:04 PM

Default Electric guitar head into Loudbox Mini?

I am pretty new to the Electric world of things, and I am thinking about adding a Telecaster or Reverend Buckshot in the nearish future. The problem, is that I am pretty maxed out on space allowed by the wife for music stuff. Since I already have a loudbox mini (and love it), I am curious if I can find a way to use this for electric as well as acoustic. My question is the following:

Can I buy an Orange Micro Terror as an electric head, and then run that to the loudbox mini creating a hybrid psudo-stack? Would this sound terrible? Is it not even worth the trouble?

I guess my other option is a Pignose or something...
Kevin Enoch Tradesman Open Back Banjo
Collings MT2-O Honey Amber
Royce Burt #560 5-String Fiddle
Old 01-09-2015, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cu4life7 View Post
I am pretty new to the Electric world of things, and I am thinking about adding a Telecaster or Reverend Buckshot in the nearish future. The problem, is that I am pretty maxed out on space allowed by the wife for music stuff. Since I already have a loudbox mini (and love it), I am curious if I can find a way to use this for electric as well as acoustic. My question is the following:

Can I buy an Orange Micro Terror as an electric head, and then run that to the loudbox mini creating a hybrid psudo-stack? Would this sound terrible? Is it not even worth the trouble?

I guess my other option is a Pignose or something...
I'm not sure how that would sound, but IMO... you might need a speaker emulator since the loud box won't have any of the speaker coloration you expect from an electric guitar speaker. It would probably be way too bright. It would also lack some low end thump due to the size of the fishman speaker.

All that said... worth a shot IMO. You might also consider looking for something like this to go with the head if it doesn't work out through the fishman... it's another hundred bucks but at least it's a relatively simple fix:
https://www.orangeamps.com/products/...eaker-cabinet/

Taylor 710 sunburst
Epiphone ef-500m

...a few electrics
Old 01-09-2015, 02:37 PM

I would not recommend that on multiple levels. The micro terror is an extremely loud amp and is not what you want to get Tele sounds out if either a Tele or a buckshot. It's made for overdrive and distortion. If your wife is giving you grief about space, wait until you crank that little puppy.
Secondly, the loudbox mini is not going to project the sound of that amp well and is going to color the tone in an unpleasant way. I'm not sure the speaker could handle it for long either. Get a little fender mustang amp.

1998 Very Sweet Wife
2000 Cute Daughter (Grand Concert)
2005 Handsome Son (Dreadnought)
2007 Lovely Daughter (Parlor)
2017 Cute Puppy (Duke the Uke)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars