The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 12-11-2014, 10:02 AM

Hi Wasper, sorry to hear about the Agile. Like MikeBmusic posted (^^), there are lots of used Epiphone Les Pauls out there, many in your price range (based on the price of the Agile in the link you provided).

Don't stick with the guitar if you don't feel comfortable with it.
Old 12-11-2014, 11:48 AM

I'm going to go home tonight and plug the Agile into the amp and spend some more time with it to get a good handle on how it sounds. If it sounds nice, I'll take it into work with me tomorrow and have a coworker look at it. He is a guitar player and used to help out at his best friends music store working on guitars. I'll have him look it over and see what he suggests. If he thinks it needs to go back, I'll send it back.

Really, there is just one area that perturbs me and maybe you can tell me if I'm being a bit picky.

At the second fret, where the fret wire is pressed into the fretboard, there is some chatter marks where the slot was cut. So, there is a couple of little chips along the fret. The fret wire looks fully seated and it doesn't look like it is having any negative structural effect. It is fairly shallow. It is more of a cosmetic blemish. There is also a faint scratch across the fingerboard at the same spot, almost like they were marking the fretboard for the cut with a scribe and it slipped. It is just barely deep enough to almost catch a fingernail.

Would you send it back for that or am I being overly concerned?

I have a problem with that sometimes.. being a micro-machinist (I use microscopic cameras to make the parts), I tend to zero in on things that most people don't even see.

"Those who wish to appear wise among fools, among the wise seem foolish."
Quintilian
Old 12-11-2014, 01:55 PM

'Cosmetic' or not, I can tell by your comments you're not happy with it. If you keep it you'll always be doubting your decision - every time you pick up that guitar.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 12-12-2014, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
'Cosmetic' or not, I can tell by your comments you're not happy with it. If you keep it you'll always be doubting your decision - every time you pick up that guitar.
Very true words my friend.

I took it in to work today and had my co worker take a look at it. He found even more issues with it then I did.

He has been playing guitar since the 60's and has owned quite a few guitars over the years, including many electrics. He was able to point things out that I was missing, since I never owned an electric before and didn't know what to look for.... including the nut that was cut to low and the bridge that was not installed properly. He told me that it would cost a bunch of money to set it right and to send it back.

So, I just submitted the return form and chose the "Refund to account" instead of trying to get a replacement. I think I will take the advice and look locally.

I know that a lot of people report that they are very happy with those Agile guitars from Rondo (that's why I took a chance, after all). I will say that the store was very easy to deal with, had extremely fast shipping and on paper, the guitars are awesome for the price. But it goes to show that when buying sight unseen, you never know what you will get until it comes. I think I'm done with buying blind over the internet.. this was the first time I have done this (all other guitars were bought in person) and it has left a bad taste.. for sure.

Thanks for reading along, maybe it could be used as a learning experience for someone.. I know it has been for me, lol.

Wasper

"Those who wish to appear wise among fools, among the wise seem foolish."
Quintilian
Old 12-12-2014, 05:38 PM

Don't let this get you down, Wasper. You'll find something soon. Good luck!
Old 12-13-2014, 01:54 AM

shecter tis brand just amazes me every one I play is great. .played three yesterday. this brand may finish off the long struggle of fender to keep up. I am getting hooked on them. so are all the cats I know most have already bought one others are thinking about it.
Old 12-13-2014, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EoE View Post
shecter tis brand just amazes me every one I play is great. .played three yesterday. this brand may finish off the long struggle of fender to keep up. I am getting hooked on them. so are all the cats I know most have already bought one others are thinking about it.
I have a couple of Schecters and they're great. I've never played one of their lower priced ones though.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars