The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 06-07-2013, 06:28 AM

Default Apogee / Ipad query

Hi - I recently bought an Ipad then yesterday took the plunge and bought an Apogee mic as Ive heard such good reports about them.
I was pretty unhappy when, upon opening the mic, found that the connecting cables were for the older 30 bit Ipad connecter and I had the newer thunderbolt connector.
I saw it was recommended to get the Apple adaptor, OK i thought, bit annoying but hey ho - than I saw the Apple want £25 plus P+P for this little item !!!!!!!!
I looked online in Amazon and saw that there were other makes of adaptors for a few £, but some of these had poor write ups from customers as they were not much good, but some had very good write ups cos they were great...But - then I saw that some of these adptors "do not support audio", so I guess that could be a problem comnnecting my Apogee mic to my Ipod...?!

So - do any AGF folk know of a good quality, reasonable priced adaptor that would enable me to use my new Apogee mic?

Thanks in advance for any help you are able to give.
Old 06-07-2013, 10:43 AM
Charter Member

You might check with Apogee and see if they have the newer cable. When I reviewed that mic for AG, that was one issue we called out, but Apogee told us they were working on having the lightning cable. That was quite a while back, (a year ago?), so maybe they have them by now.
Old 06-08-2013, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Shipman View Post
Hi - I recently bought an Ipad then yesterday took the plunge and bought an Apogee mic as Ive heard such good reports about them.
I was pretty unhappy when, upon opening the mic, found that the connecting cables were for the older 30 bit Ipad connecter and I had the newer thunderbolt connector.
I saw it was recommended to get the Apple adaptor, OK i thought, bit annoying but hey ho - than I saw the Apple want £25 plus P+P for this little item !!!!!!!!
I looked online in Amazon and saw that there were other makes of adaptors for a few £, but some of these had poor write ups from customers as they were not much good, but some had very good write ups cos they were great...But - then I saw that some of these adptors "do not support audio", so I guess that could be a problem comnnecting my Apogee mic to my Ipod...?!

So - do any AGF folk know of a good quality, reasonable priced adaptor that would enable me to use my new Apogee mic?

Thanks in advance for any help you are able to give.
I don't know of any. But I'll need one, as I have an Alesis ioDock w/an iPad 2. When I go to iPad 3, I'll need an adapter.
I love the Alesis. I intend to keep using it.

Youtube

France (Film Musique & Fantomas)
---
Guitars: (2007) big Vietnamese archtop; (1997) Guild F65ce,
(1988) Guild D60, (1972) Guild D25, two other Vietnamese flat-tops and one classical.

Old 06-09-2013, 12:14 PM

I bought a very recent Apogee Duet and it came with the old 30-pin connector as well.

The rationale is quite simple -- a lot of users out there still have legacy iPads and iPhones. While Apple offers an "upward" adaptor (from 30-pin to Lightning), they don't offer a "downward" one (presumably for technical reasons).

In order to satisfy as many potential users as possible, I think it makes sense for Apogee to still ship with the old connector.

The price of the adaptor sold by Apple is borderline abusive indeed -- but it remains a marginal expense compared to the rest of the gear. Personally, I couldn't wait to start recording and I'd run to the nearest Apple store and pay the 30 bills or so.
Old 06-10-2013, 11:24 PM

Thanks for your thougts and responses - Doug, they dont do the thunderbolt connector...
Anyhow I got the Apple one yesterday/
Old 06-12-2013, 11:32 AM

Default Apogee / Ipad query

I think I'm more upset about the super short cable that comes with the mic. Ridiculous I tell ya

Francisco Navarro Concert Classical
Francisco Navarro Student Flamenco
Eastman AC708 Sunburst
Seagull S6
Cordoba C-5
Fender Strat MIM

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD