The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 03-07-2012, 03:46 PM

Funny you should bring up fiddles as I just started playing again after a 12 or so year layoff.

But yeah, I pretty much taught myself although I would seek out every good fiddle player I could find for some tips and pointers. There was a violin in the house so I figured I would give it a whirl. Got good enough with it that I would bring it to gigs and was hired by a music center to teach fiddle.

I went a reverse route from others here in that I moved into the mandolin from the fiddle.
Old 03-14-2012, 08:25 PM

One thing that surprised me is how much difference a good bow makes. If you are just getting started and using a cheap (~ $30) wood bow, try out a $100 composite violin bow and see how much difference it makes in your playing. You should be able to give one a test drive at a good violin shop.

I was also surprised to find that great violin bows can cost more than a high end acoustic guitar.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments