The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 12-11-2011, 03:09 PM

Default The next one has been started

The creative bug has been nibbling me steadily since I finished the mili-tele, so I wanted to get going with another build. Here are the specs on the new one--

-tele style
-chambered alder body with a walnut cap
-creme binding (still mulling it over whether or not to do binding)
-maple neck/fretboard
-rear routed
-P90's with standard tele wiring
-brass half bridge
-black or nickel tuners and input jack (I'm open to suggestions there)

This one will be several months in the making for a couple of reasons:

first reason- money. I'll have to buy my supplies/hardware a little at a time.

second reason - the place where I plan to buy my walnut isn't having a sale in January or February, so I'll have to wait until Spring. It won't be too bad though, because I'll use that time to buy a few things here and there and make progress in other areas.

Since I had some maple on hand, I started on the neck/fretboard today. I'll be using a double action TR, so my fretboard will be separate from the neck, but I'm using maple for both.

I needed to get my fretboard piece down to the correct thickness, so after a few passes on the jointer, I ran it through my version of a thickness sander. I removed the blade from an old plane and clamped it to my BOSS. Then I would just move it closer, a little at a time, to get to the correct dimension.

Here's my shop help giving me a hand-

Here I am getting ready to rough-shape the neck-

Finally, a few shots of the mostly-finished neck. I got lucky, and there is some curl to this maple, so I think it'll make a fine looking neck.

Old 12-11-2011, 03:14 PM

You're younger than I thought . . . .

Kolaya Carmen, Trek parlor (by Harv L), Martin 000-28EC, Taylor GC-5 and 355.
Old 12-11-2011, 03:16 PM

hehe . I'm quite mature for my age
Old 12-11-2011, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerC View Post

I needed to get my fretboard piece down to the correct thickness, so after a few passes on the jointer, I ran it through my version of a thickness sander. I removed the blade from an old plane and clamped it to my BOSS. Then I would just move it closer, a little at a time, to get to the correct dimension.
I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry. I might laugh 'cause I admire your ingenuity, using an old plane as a reference surface. I might cry 'cause, particularly for relatively unchallenging wood, in days gone by, the choice of tool would have been to use the plane as intended and would have been skills to teach your kids. In the right hands, it'd probably have been faster, quieter, use no electricity, provide physical exercise and produce no dust. Just thinking out loud. Carry on.
Old 12-11-2011, 06:47 PM

I was thinking the same thing, a good sharp blade in that stanley no 5 and a few minutes, that board would flat and slick as glass

Dave
Old 12-11-2011, 08:49 PM

I actually agree with you guys, but it's been over 20 years since I've used a plane and this one has definitely seen better days. I wouldn't know the first thing about how to get it back into shape. All the parts are very rusty and not in very good shape. I'll be happy to post pics if either of you have any pointers on restoring it.
Old 12-11-2011, 09:53 PM

Roger, there's alot of info about planes on the net, heres one

http://www.majorpanic.com/handplane_restor1.htm

or, send it to me, I will restore it and send it back to you, no charge

Dave
Old 12-11-2011, 10:23 PM

Dave, thank you. That's very kind. If you really wouldn't mind, I'd love to have it refurbished. This was my dad's (and I think my grandfather's as well). After looking at the resource you provided, I'm not sure if I'd be able to get it done properly. It seems that planes require a language and skill set all their own. I'll be more than willing to research and practice to gain the skill set to use and maintain it properly once it's back in form.

I've sent you a pm.

Thanks!
Old 12-11-2011, 11:32 PM

What are you looking for in walnut for the guitar? Any other wood choices? I am a wood nut and have some that might work, price is very low.
Old 12-12-2011, 07:21 AM

1/4" thick. I'd like to bookmatch, and the final dimensions would be ~ 13" x 16".

As for grain character, I'd love a set with some curl in it, but it's not absolutly crucial. If there's some interesting grain I'd consider it. If you have any pics that would be great. Also, if you could pm me some prices as well.

Thanks a bunch!
Old 12-12-2011, 09:46 AM

safety glasses and a dust mask for your helper couldn't hurt. unless that was a posed picture -then i'll apologize
Old 12-12-2011, 11:48 AM

No, Arie, unfortunately it wasn't posed. When I'm using my sander, I never use any PPE, so it didn't dawn on me to have him in any. After I posted the pics and was looking at them, I realized where I neglected my parental duties . I posted these on a couple of sights and have had it pointed out a few times now hehe. That's ok, though. I fully deserve it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair