The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-22-2012, 05:23 PM

My Lowden is spruce/mahogany and I love it, but my friend has a McIlroy cedar/walnut which sounds amazing.
Old 12-23-2012, 03:35 PM

Cedar over walnut gives you the best of cedar over mahogany and rosewood! It is a very sweet and unique combination. The tone will be very woody and warm with sweet mids, full bass, and round trebles. Its my all time favorite wood combination in a GA/SJ body size.

Cedar over cherry is also nice, but not as nice as walnut.

If you like cedar over mahogany and rosewood, you will love walnut.
Old 12-23-2012, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBWW View Post
Sinker or Carter Estate Redwood and Walnut. Play one if you can.
Sinker Redwood and EIR is a great combo too, that's what I have on my Taylor BTO.
Old 12-23-2012, 08:17 PM

Hmmmm.......
So far I have the cedar with koa and sinker redwood with Cocobolo. I heard on u tube the walnut but not with the cedar and cherry! hmmmmm that is real interesting!
Old 12-23-2012, 09:00 PM
Charter Member

My BTO has Sinker and Macassar Ebony. It can be heard here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d23htMWEne8

Please don't pay attention to all of my extra movement, lol, just listen to the sound of the guitar. Standard tuning, and as you'll see, capo on the third string.

I'm having a guitar built with Carpathian and Malaysian Blackwood. Any guitars I've heard with Malaysian Blackwood have been stunning, but that is a much more rare wood choice.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 12-29-2012, 05:47 PM

How about maple and walnut on the back and sides? An I pretty much looking at some kind of spruce for the top unless I want to spend thousands? What about a laminate? And what about something like the Taylor GS Mini with maple or black wood laminate? Can you really experience the maple in laminate for any? Even if on a Taylor?

I'm intrigued by the idea of maple or walnut back and sides. What would be a good size for that?
A few Telecasters
Old 12-29-2012, 06:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sesop View Post
Upon deciding to get a cedar guitar, it seemed obvious to go with rosewood for the back/sides, as I prefer rosewood with Spruce tops. When I started playing and listening to clips of cedar with mahogany, (much to my surprise) I started liking that combination more than cedar with rosewood. I love Sitka/Rosewood for harder strumming and picking, but I seem to like cedar/mahogany for softer, folkier stuff.

I'm fascinated by all the different woods and combinations. I'd love to know what your favorite combinations are, and what style of music (playing style and genre) you like it for.
The particular back and side wood you choose to pair with Red Western cedar or California redwood topwoods is perhaps less important than your choice of body style and luthier, as matched/correlated (by you) to your right hand techniques, playing style, music genres and personal musical aesthetics.
Old 12-29-2012, 07:00 PM
Charter Member

I like spruce over rosewood, spruce over mahogany, cedar over rosewood, and cedar over mahogany. I have examples of guitars in each of these woods. I like them all. If I had to pick one, I suppose I would choose spruce over rosewood, because I love that combination of bass depth and upper end sparkle. But I no sooner pick up another guitar and then I rethink this...

- Glenn
Old 12-29-2012, 07:04 PM
Charter Member

I have been told that the wood combination on the back/sides of the GS Mini don't really matter in terms of sound because it is only the outer layer that has that particular wood. You're buying it for the aesthetics. Others who own them may offer a different view. I would have to imagine in a laminate guitar, the tonal difference has more to do with just being a different guitar, not because of that particular wood, if that makes sense.

2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
Old 12-29-2012, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealpine View Post
My BTO has Sinker and Macassar Ebony. It can be heard here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d23htMWEne8

Please don't pay attention to all of my extra movement, lol, just listen to the sound of the guitar. Standard tuning, and as you'll see, capo on the third string.

I'm having a guitar built with Carpathian and Malaysian Blackwood. Any guitars I've heard with Malaysian Blackwood have been stunning, but that is a much more rare wood choice.
Do you mind if I ask why you're selling it?
Old 12-29-2012, 08:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor 714 View Post
Do you mind if I ask why you're selling it?
I don't mind at all, but it's a bit of a story. Selling it because I'm primarily a strummer, and while this guitar sounds beautiful when strummed, I started playing with a group of adults, we'll loosely call a band, and I find the maple GS is a much better fit for what and how I play. The maple guitar has a power and brightness that really is heard in a band, while the BTO, in spite of (or because of?) how rich and lush it sounds, seemed to get lost in that setting. So the maple guitar was getting all the play time. Still, I missed the richness, and especially miss the arm bevel, even more since the GS is a little larger than the BTO. I started doing some research, met Joel Stehr, and decided to commission a guitar that would meet all the requirements, giving me what might best be described as a mixture of the maple GS and the BTO in a dread size with both arm and rib bevel. We decided on the Carpathian/Malaysian Blackwood combo. To get all of that, I have to sell the Sinker/Macassar guitar. I guess in short, it is a gorgeous guitar, but doesn't quite match my style of play, which is too bad because it is incredibly comfortable to play and does sound lush, rich and gorgeous. Hope that makes sense.

2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion