The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-24-2016, 11:42 AM

Default LR Baggs M1A Overdriving a bit?

I picked up a used LR Baggs M1A about a month ago and put it onto a Alvarez AJ80. I'm into this setup about $300 and was intending for this to be my "bar gig" guitar. It sounded nice just plugged in and strumming quietly, but when I played it with my band on Sunday through the PA, it was starting to clip or overdrive when I strummed moderately hard.

I tried running it through a IMP2 DI, through my Red-Eye and then direct and had the same issue with all setups. I tried it in different channels on the PA and then through a little 100-watt bass amp and in all cases, semi aggressive strumming brought about this clipping.

I swapped batteries in the M1A as well, to no avail.

Anything else I can try or did I get a bad pickup?
Old 05-24-2016, 11:58 AM
Guest4562

How high are the pole screws? Maybe if you drive them down a bit the pickup wouldn't be so hot and therefore would be less likely to distort. Also check gain on any pre-amp you're using.
Old 05-24-2016, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Mac View Post
How high are the pole screws? Maybe if you drive them down a bit the pickup wouldn't be so hot and therefore would be less likely to distort. Also check gain on any pre-amp you're using.
Thanks.

The poles on the E-G strings are just a bit above the surface of the pickup. The ones on the B and high E are burried. I'll try lowering them.

Regarding the preamp, I've tired lowering the gain almost all the way down on the PA, down to the -60dB range, and then boosting the channel volume and the distortion is still there. 99.9% sure it's the pickup from that data point.

Thanks for the idea on the pole pieces. Will try that.
Old 05-24-2016, 12:08 PM

Hmmm... well, easy enough to lower the poles, but no difference in the clipping issue. I'm now confident it's the pickup, and nothing else in the signal chain since I can duplicate the problem with several different PA/preamp/amp setups.
Old 05-24-2016, 12:59 PM

Is the battery known good?
Old 05-24-2016, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyg1 View Post
Is the battery known good?
Yeah. Tried two different batteries. Both were reading right at 3V on my multi meter...

I'm wondering if I have a bad unit somehow...
Old 05-24-2016, 01:36 PM

Where abouts is the volume set on your pickup?

I'd definitely drop LR Baggs an email or call they are really good with advice/assistance.

Gibson Songwriter Standard EC
Lowden WL-22
Maton SRS808
Taylor AD11-SB
Taylor 811 GT
Old 05-24-2016, 02:14 PM
Charter Member

You MUST set your input gain with the M1 volume wide-open, even if you like to dial it back during a performance...

Doesn't matter if you're playing through a PA or an amp, setting your gain staging is critical to good clean signal...

If the gain staging is done correctly and you STILL get unwanted distortion or overdrive, then there is something wrong with your pickup's preamp unit... call Baggs, they'll take good care of you!

"The Cape" (Guy Clark/Jim Janowsky/Susanna Clark)
Old 05-24-2016, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
You MUST set your input gain with the M1 volume wide-open, even if you like to dial it back during a performance...

Doesn't matter if you're playing through a PA or an amp, setting your gain staging is critical to good clean signal...

If the gain staging is done correctly and you STILL get unwanted distortion or overdrive, then there is something wrong with your pickup's preamp unit... call Baggs, they'll take good care of you!
Thanks. Yeah, given all the different things I've tried, I'm convinced it's the unit. I emailed LR Baggs, but will try to find time to call them tomorrow as well.
Old 05-24-2016, 06:15 PM

Wow. I'm impressed with LR Baggs customer service thus far. I called in, they called me back in 20 minutes and had me send the pickup in. We'll soon see what's wrong with it, but even if it's not salvageable, this level of customer service has really won me over.
Old 05-24-2016, 10:46 PM
Charter Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate74 View Post
Wow. I'm impressed with LR Baggs customer service thus far. I called in, they called me back in 20 minutes and had me send the pickup in. We'll soon see what's wrong with it, but even if it's not salvageable, this level of customer service has really won me over.
Baggs' customer service has been nothing but stellar for me... if you bought the pickup new, I wouldn't be surprised if they just send you another new one, gratis...

Glad you're getting this moving in the right direction! Let us know how it all pans out...

"The Cape" (Guy Clark/Jim Janowsky/Susanna Clark)
Old 05-25-2016, 01:45 PM

My M1A sounded like crap through the Fishman Loudbox.

Sounds amazing through my PA at home.

Its finicky. I relate to your issue. Weirdest dam pickup ever.

Love it but on the wrong amp it sounds like a cheap piece of junk.
Old 05-25-2016, 11:59 PM

I have one i took apart and converted to an external preamp. It is pretty easy to clip the little preamp inside it. I like to tinker and ive plugged in humbucker equipped solid bodies and p-bass through it, instant clipping, but the single coil in my 12 string fender = nice
Hopefully they send you one that wont have that issue.
Paracho Bajo Quinto
Gabbanelli solid body bajo quinto (M1A/DP156)

Amps:
VOX AGA150
Line 6 spider
Old 05-26-2016, 09:24 AM

You run a DI to your preamp and DI out the preamp? Why put two DI's and two preamps in the chain? Eliminate the Red-Eye, the M1A is a self-contained preamp.

Guitar->IMP-2->PA
Old 05-26-2016, 10:18 AM
Charter Member

What volume level is the M1A set at? If yo're overdriving the preamp, can you lover teh output? Though that probably just drops the output volume level from the pickup preamp; not the input to the preamp.

Lowering the poles should drop the input level.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification