The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 02-18-2015, 02:41 PM

Default Choosing a Spanish made classical guitar

How do I know which brands of Spanish guitars are really made in Spain? I read that the Rodriguez A series is made in Spain. Guitar Center has them for around $500.00. That seems like a good deal but I really know very little about how to determine the differences. I play by ear and have never studied the guitar formally. I have used the same cheap classical for more than 40 years, so I want to upgrade and start to actually take lessons. How do I go about choosing?
Old 02-18-2015, 03:11 PM

What's your budget?
Old 02-18-2015, 03:33 PM

Alhambra is a very good guitar maker from Spain. They have several models, are very well made--and they sound great.
A few members here play Alhambra. I have one and a member that posts videos here (Daria) also has one.
Old 02-18-2015, 05:42 PM
Charter Member

I second the recommendation for Alhambra. They are all made in Spain, are of consistent quality in my experience and sound and play quite well. I have a 7P with a Spruce top and EIR back and sides. It's a good looking guitar and has held up well to my hard attack (others might call it clumsiness - lol).

Dave
Old 02-18-2015, 11:35 PM

Location: New Zealand, South Island, way down toward the bottom!

Alhambra and Admira are made in Spain and both have the full range of instruments, from bargain basement all the way up through professional grade. I had the best experience with Alhambra instruments from the 5 series upwards, below that they were a bit inconsistent in some of the finish details. I'm sure there are other similarly-sized companies making quality instruments all through Andalucía, those are just the ones with which I have some experience. If Made in Spain isn't a deal breaker, there are other companies also making quality instruments, depending on the price point. I think the Spanish-made brands are all a bit overpriced in the US, but with the dollar crushing the euro right now (or at least regaining a bit of lost ground), maybe that will change?
Old 02-19-2015, 02:04 AM

The PAVAN TP-10 is a good budget classical. Has solid cedar top but laminated sides. I have played one and it sounds nice. I think they list for 500USD.
Old 02-19-2015, 05:38 AM

I own an Alhambra 7fc. Superb quality for the money. If you prefer classical over flamenco guitar, then the Alhambra 5p should be a good starting point.
Old 02-19-2015, 08:58 AM

Raimindo, Ramierez, Camps, Alhambra

Have a look at this website:-

http://www.guitarfromspain.com/en/
Old 02-19-2015, 12:39 PM

Hey there,
If looking into buying a good Spanish made guitar,I would try a Lucida LG-777. Handbuilt in Spain,most of classical players I have read that have posted in the the classical guitar forums really like them.Here is one link I found.. I think you may have to get it used.
Regards,
Jan

http://www.instrumentalsavings.com/L...ida-lg-777.htm

http://www.lucidaguitars.com/products.html
Old 02-20-2015, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riffmeister View Post
What's your budget?
My budget unfortunately is around $500.00. I realize that I can't get a lot for that kind of money, but it is a start. I'm not professional. I have played by ear for 45 years, but that is limiting. I would like to get a nice Spanish guitar and really take lessons. I have tried lessons before but I learn the song by ear before I learn the notes and I have lacked the self-discipline to focus on learning the notes. I hope that I can overcome my inability to focus.
Old 02-20-2015, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosland View Post
Alhambra and Admira are made in Spain and both have the full range of instruments, from bargain basement all the way up through professional grade. I had the best experience with Alhambra instruments from the 5 series upwards, below that they were a bit inconsistent in some of the finish details. I'm sure there are other similarly-sized companies making quality instruments all through Andalucía, those are just the ones with which I have some experience. If Made in Spain isn't a deal breaker, there are other companies also making quality instruments, depending on the price point. I think the Spanish-made brands are all a bit overpriced in the US, but with the dollar crushing the euro right now (or at least regaining a bit of lost ground), maybe that will change?
I have thought about the Alhambra. They sound great on YouTube but I haven't seen one in person. I think I could find one of those in my price range.
Thank you for your response.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical