The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 02-21-2015, 07:51 AM
Charter Member

Default Dear Taylor, Zac Brown signature model?

Just wondering. Yes, The taylor nylons are designed for us steel string players, but I've heard zac has a custom NS74 with a longer neck to provide for more string tension, and handle his aggressive strumming.

The cosmetics of a guitar aren't the be all and end all for me. I don't need a lot of bling on a signature model, but as much as I like the idea of the new 600 series nylons that will hit soon, I don't think they'll be for strummers. (Correct me if I'm wrong)

Any advice/comments are welcomed!
Old 02-21-2015, 09:36 AM

I've yet to come across a nylon string guitar that catered for steel string strummers. I think that is not their forte.
Old 02-22-2015, 10:49 AM

If you are looking for a classical "cross-over" type guitar or a full classical, I recommend buying from a company that only (or mostly) makes classical guitars.
Speaking for myself only, I do know a few exceptions to my opinion but mostly I dislike the efforts by steel string guitar makers trying to make good nylon guitars. Especially when the also want $1-2k for them because of a brand name...some are not worthy.

Last edited by ZippyChip; 02-22-2015 at 10:56 AM.
Old 02-22-2015, 12:17 PM
Charter Member

I second (or maybe it's third) that nylon stringed guitars made by steel string makers, for the most part are not that good and are not suited well for strumming.

I owned 2 Taylor nylon string models, a 514ce-N and a 512ce-N. I thought they would be the end all and be all for everything. Turned out they weren't very good at anything except plugging in to an amp. Then they sounded like an amplified guitar not an acoustic, and unplugged they were weak sounding.

If your a strummer, and particularly if you're an aggressive strummer, I'd say stick to steel.

YMMV,
Dave
Old 04-10-2015, 12:26 PM

I would absolutely love it if Taylor actually made the Zac Brown Models. I'm a groupie of ZBB and bought myself a Taylor Nylon just so I could sing and play his songs and sound the same, plus I've always loved the nylon string sound.

His custom Taylor specs were described here: http://www.americansongwriter.com/20...2%80%99s-gear/

“You see, there was a major hurdle for him because he and his band tune their guitars down a half step to Eb, so that they can sing in Zac’s range better,” continues Taylor, letting out one of the band’s secrets. “After four hours of singing, it makes a difference.”

“The problem is with a nylon-string guitar, this leaves the strings incredibly loose. We solved that for Zac by making his guitar with a 27-inch fret scale. And to keep the guitar from having a neck that is too long, we joined it to the body at the 13th fret. The bridge moves back a little and, presto, Zac has a guitar that plays in Eb at normal string tension.”

About 6 months ago I went and bought my Taylor 214ce-N. Not the most expensive model but I wanted to get acquainted to the Nylon strings as I have mostly played steel stringed guitars. I found the guitar to have a nicer mellower tone and as a hard strummer it brought my volume down. I enjoyed that since I could play with dynamics more and the strings add a nice percussive sound. Personally, I enjoy the sound of strumming on this guitar and barely pick up my Taylor steel string anymore.

My only issue with the guitar is the lack of a pickguard, I have been playing the guitar so much that I already wore it down to the wood around the bridge. Not a huge issue for me as I like my instruments to have character, but I eventually am planning to put on a custom cut flamenco pick guard.

My long term dream is to Order a custom Zac Brown model guitar from Taylor. Either the standard one or the Jack Daniels whiskey themed one.
Old 02-02-2016, 08:28 PM

Yeah I'd be very interested in a Zac signature model. Wonder how much that neck would cost BTO.

Last edited by TomB'sox; 02-08-2023 at 07:58 AM. Reason: Public discussion of price not allowed
Old 02-03-2016, 11:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewalling View Post
I've yet to come across a nylon string guitar that catered for steel string strummers. I think that is not their forte.
The Breedlove Masterclass Bossa Nova that I used to have seemed to be very much aimed at strummers. It was a very good crossover. I eventually sold it to move to flamenco guitars... but is was a great "gateway" instrument for a guy who hadn't picked-up a nylon in years.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical