The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-08-2004, 08:58 PM

Default Elixer alternatives?

I currently have Poly Med/lights on my 414ce. I really appreciate the extra bass, however they are too bright for me. I need more warmth. Are there any other med/light string choices out there (besides nanos or polys)?
Old 03-08-2004, 09:10 PM

Well, I think the perfect match is E.A,D nanos and G,B,E With martin msp 4100's Phosphor Bronse. Cost more but great sound. thats just me though.
Old 03-08-2004, 09:42 PM

I had a 314KCES that was ok with light gauge Elixir nano's but I also wanted some low end punch. So I tried D'Addario PhosphorBronze Mediums. That did it alright!! But the guitar needed to be set up for mediums.
Old 03-08-2004, 10:46 PM

D'Addario EXP's are real good. They have internal coating (before their wound). They last as long as Elixirs, but they feel like normal strings. I like them, I'm sure they have a medium light...
________
vaporizer forum

Last edited by masmith; 02-09-2011 at 07:15 PM.
Old 03-09-2004, 12:13 AM

Why would they coat the inside? Isnt the point of coating them so that crud doesnt get inbetween the windings, thus "deadening" the strings with extra vibrating mass?
Old 03-09-2004, 12:36 AM

I like both the EXP and regular EJ Phosphor Bronze. I use Mediums on my Taylor 710CE, the D-35 and the two D-28s.

My Ibanez Artwood AW50CENT gets light gauge, my Martin MTV-1 uses the D'Addario Bluegrass Gauge (med. bottom/light top). This is a nice compromise gauge. Your guitar may require a truss-rod adjustment, or an action adjustment if you use these strings.

I had the EXP PB on one guitar for so long that the fret wear was nearly clear through the windings, and they still had a nice bright tone. They coat the wrap wire, and then wind the string. Yes, there is no coating on top of the grooves as there is on the Elixirs. The EXP probably does a better job of corrosion protection, I think. In any case, they work very well.

The Elixirs are very good strings, but I don't care for the feel.

I'm trying a couple of sets of the 80/20 EXP. These are very chimey, though I think the Phosphor Bronze are punchier and have more sustain. We'll see how they hold up.

Bill
Old 03-09-2004, 01:09 AM

Sorry I didn't explain this well, but the last post did very well.
________
ferrari f1 643 history

Last edited by masmith; 02-09-2011 at 07:15 PM.
Old 03-09-2004, 01:37 AM

DR Extralife strings...

Natural sounding and seem to have increase BASS when put on Taylors
Old 03-09-2004, 09:02 AM

Try the Elixir Polyweb vs. the Naoweb. Poly's are less bright.

KC
Old 03-09-2004, 09:06 AM

yeah... the Drs or the exp's are good... my church uses the exp and have got no complains of it being too bright while the dr extra is highly recommended by my singaporean friends as a great substitute for the elixir. i just bought one pack today...

2006 514ce
1998 Yamaha APX 6A
Old 03-09-2004, 09:53 AM

I am experimenting with Daddario strings and they have a little more separated sound than the Elixer Polys I primarily use on all my Taylors and seem to make the guitars sound more unique. When they all have Elixer Polys on they really sound a LOT alike. I recently bought a Gibson Cj and It sounded a tad thumpy so I strung it with Elixers and OMGosh it sounded just like all my Taylors . I think the Polys are the easiest playing and longes lasting best overall tone of any thing but they rob your guitar of its wood nature and that is a crying shame . I don't know what Im going to do , I am spoiled with the easy playing Polys but know that I am sacrificing a LOT of tone as a result.

Anyone come up with a string that plays good last long and still allows the Guitar to be what it is wood wise is going to get my gusiness. Im using some GHS and they record great but feel like sandpaper after a while . I am so spoiled.

Collings DS2H MhA "Bubba"
Collings OM 2H "Colleen"
Collings "Herb Special"
Eastman AR610CE-CS " Jazz "
Martin 000 28c MH "Merle"
Dudley Classical Dudley"
Baby Taylor "Baby Hoggy"
Old 03-09-2004, 10:10 AM

The Daddaria EXP med/lights are called the EXP Bluegrass. Its the same thing as med/lights but for some reason they dont label them as this. I have used martins sp and sp+, elixers(briefly), and daddario exp and noncoated and so far I like the EXPs the best.
If your friend is already dead, and being eaten by vultures, I think it's okay to feed some bits of your friend to one of the vultures, to teach him to do some tricks. But ONLY if you're serious about adopting the vulture.
Old 03-09-2004, 10:40 AM

i have really come to like DR strings. they last longer than most uncoated, and they really have a powerful sound. My best advice is to try a few kinds over the next couple of months and see what you like.
Old 03-09-2004, 12:00 PM

Default Re: Elixer alternatives?

Quote:
Originally posted by pastorparker
however they are too bright for me. I need more warmth.
I like the warmth of phosphor bronze...especially after they have settled in for three or four days. My favorites? John Pearse.

2023 Taylor AD22e
2001 Guild F47RCE

Certified Fretting Technician - Galloup School of Luthiery 2005
Guitar Builder/Tech
Old 03-09-2004, 02:53 PM

Are you looking for guitar strings with Alternative Lifestyles? If so try a set of GHS

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion