The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-22-2015, 06:50 AM

When I check user reviews on the Hercules stands on various suppliers' websites, they invariably include a number of negatives from people who have experienced deterioration of the rubberoid material used on the height adjustment grip, saying it turns gummy, then sticky, then eventually falls apart. Anyone here have that problem?

1977 Martin M-38
1982 Stelling Staghorn
2013 Larrivée D-40R
2014 Andrew White Eos 1011 (sold)
2016 Pisgah Possum
Old 05-22-2015, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Stone View Post
It has 5 legs, but it doesn't look like they spread out very far. The whole rig looks a little unsecure to me -

A standard stand has only three legs, but the middle one is shorter. A Hercules has 3 long legs that spread out very nicely - to my eye, it looks like Hercules would be more stable than the one in the video.

EDIT: I take that back, it looks like the legs on the Starfish thing and my pair of Herc stands spread out about the same.
The legs spread out further...it does have a larger footprint...darn near impossible to knock over unintentionally.
2014 Taylor GS Mini HV
2014 Taylor GS Mini-e FLTD Koa (Currently Residing w/Son)
Old 05-22-2015, 10:54 AM

What are the advantages/disadvantages of the Hercules 415 vs. the 414 in regards to the folding mechanism?
Maton EBG808
Alvarez AP66SB
Yamaha LL16R A.R.E.
Fishman Loudbox Mini

Electric:
1966 Fender Super Reverb
2016 Fender Champion 40
1969 Fender Thinline Tele
2015 Epiphone ES-339 Pro
2016 Fender MIA American Standard Strat
2019 Fender MIM Roadhouse Strat
Old 05-22-2015, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D View Post
What are the advantages/disadvantages of the Hercules 415 vs. the 414 in regards to the folding mechanism?
No one knows the answer to my above question?
Maton EBG808
Alvarez AP66SB
Yamaha LL16R A.R.E.
Fishman Loudbox Mini

Electric:
1966 Fender Super Reverb
2016 Fender Champion 40
2015 Epiphone ES-339 Pro
Old 05-22-2015, 04:07 PM

I just bought one of the 415 stands (http://www.herculesstands.com/guitars/GS415B.html) and like it a lot. It is very sturdy and I'm happy with it. My old "cheapie" stand always seemed like such a risk, and this feels solid.
2021 Rainsong N-PA1000NSK
2022 Rainsong V-OM1000NSX
Old 05-22-2015, 04:22 PM

Do you want to grab your guitar quickly from the guitar stand ? That would rule out any guitar stands that grab by the neck and don't have much bottom support.

I'm a couch picker and love to grab and play my guitar QUICKLY - afterwards - putting it back in the stand QUICKLY and move on to other things (like changing the channel with my remote control). I don't have time for a guitar stand that needs to be clamped around the neck , I just want to grab and go - put back and stop.

For this type of guitar playing , I recommend the Konig Meyer (K&M) Heli stand.

1) No kids or dogs in the house
2) Not for long term storage
3) Not for secure stage work

H
Old 05-22-2015, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacks Focus View Post
When I check user reviews on the Hercules stands on various suppliers' websites, they invariably include a number of negatives from people who have experienced deterioration of the rubberoid material used on the height adjustment grip, saying it turns gummy, then sticky, then eventually falls apart. Anyone here have that problem?
Yes! I read most of those reviews as well. It's one of the reasons I haven't purchased a Hercules.

Would like to hear if any long-term owners have had that experience.
Old 05-22-2015, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Can anyone address these two questions?
Maton EBG808
Alvarez AP66SB
Yamaha LL16R A.R.E.
Fishman Loudbox Mini

Electric:
1966 Fender Super Reverb
2016 Fender Champion 40
2015 Epiphone ES-339 Pro
Old 05-23-2015, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Can anyone address these two questions?
I'm still waiting on an answer to the first one, but I'll offer my guess on the second. Keep in mind it's a guess. I suspect that the 415's folding head is strictly to save space when you fold up the whole thing and stash it. If I buy one, that feature would mean nothing to me personally, so I'm interested in the 414. Just one fewer place for a mechanical failure, IMO.

1977 Martin M-38
1982 Stelling Staghorn
2013 Larrivée D-40R
2014 Andrew White Eos 1011 (sold)
2016 Pisgah Possum
Old 05-23-2015, 01:13 PM

Quote:
I'm still waiting on an answer to the first one, but I'll offer my guess on the second. Keep in mind it's a guess. I suspect that the 415's folding head is strictly to save space when you fold up the whole thing and stash it. If I buy one, that feature would mean nothing to me personally, so I'm interested in the 414. Just one fewer place for a mechanical failure, IMO.
I'm sure that's right about the 415's folding head: that it folds up into a more compact bundle for carrying it to the gig.

It doesn't strike me as being destined for mechanical failure though.

In fact, I just ordered two more.

Seagull CW w/Baggs M1 pickup...National Vintage Steel Tricone...SWR California Blonde Amp
Old 05-23-2015, 04:47 PM

Quote:
I have 2 of the Hercules stands, a double head & a single. The height adjustment grip has gotten so sticky on both of those that if I even slightly touch it I have to wash hands with mechanic's hand cleaner. Not just kinda sticky, this is bad stuff. It really sucks since I love the stands otherwise. I finally ended up ductaping over the grips, but then no more height adjustment.

I wonder why the sticky problem seems to be random yet I ended up with 2 bought at different times...maybe environmental? I live near the beach with accompanying humidities.
Old 05-23-2015, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breezin View Post
I have 2 of the Hercules stands, a double head & a single. The height adjustment grip has gotten so sticky on both of those that if I even slightly touch it I have to wash hands with mechanic's hand cleaner. Not just kinda sticky, this is bad stuff. It really sucks since I love the stands otherwise. I finally ended up ductaping over the grips, but then no more height adjustment.

I wonder why the sticky problem seems to be random yet I ended up with 2 bought at different times...maybe environmental? I live near the beach with accompanying humidities.
Well, that kills the deal for me. Is the Hercules company not aware of this problem?
Maton EBG808
Alvarez AP66SB
Yamaha LL16R A.R.E.
Fishman Loudbox Mini

Electric:
1966 Fender Super Reverb
2016 Fender Champion 40
2015 Epiphone ES-339 Pro
Old 05-23-2015, 06:34 PM

I had a 2 guitar hanging stand but have stopped using it.
i use wall hangers on pegboard now and a hanger attached to one of my microphones.
For guests or for other locations, i use a couple Fender Mini-Stands.
Seagull S6 (1998), Seagull Natural Elements Amber Trails Mini-Jumbo Maple, Seagull Coastline 12 Cedar, Seagull S8 Mandolin, Gretsch Boxcar Resonator Mahogany, Martin GPCPA5K Koa, Epiphone Special II, Fender Telecaster (1961), Gretsch NewYorker Supreme Mandolin Natural Mahogany, Fender FB-54 Resonator Banjo Mahogany, Ibanez Artwood AVN-3 Parlour2 Mahogany, Alvarez ABT60 Baritone, Sigma 000M-15.
Old 05-23-2015, 06:39 PM
Charter Member

My 414 has a hard plastic height adjustment grip that hasn't gotten sticky nor could I imagine how that could happen. If it did, a wet sponge would take care of the problem.
Old 05-23-2015, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasome View Post
My 414 has a hard plastic height adjustment grip that hasn't gotten sticky nor could I imagine how that could happen. If it did, a wet sponge would take care of the problem.
Same with the ht. adjustment handle on my two new 515's.

It's hard plastic - not soft.

Maybe they've corrected the issue on these new ones?

Seagull CW w/Baggs M1 pickup...National Vintage Steel Tricone...SWR California Blonde Amp

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion