The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-14-2010, 02:24 PM

Default inexpensive guitar? gc has a deal for you

guitar center has the yamaha fg700s on sale thru monday for xxx. deal cant be beat. solid top and the best thing, the quality is amazing on these guitars. stays in tune as good as my taylor ga3 or my Martin d15. solid sides and back dont mean as much as quality does. also these sound great

Last edited by rlouie; 02-14-2010 at 03:22 PM. Reason: prices deleted
Old 02-14-2010, 02:52 PM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

PP advertising on their part! I saw the ad twice. They don't mention the model and they show what looks like the cheap/great/all Lam F335 "on sale" for the price you mentioned that I am sure is about to go X. That is the F335's regular price and I Pthhhhhhed the ad. For that dough for a 700s run don't walk!
Old 02-14-2010, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmonsh View Post
stays in tune as good as ...
Am I the only one who considers this an odd metric? Don't all laminated guitars stay in tune well because laminates are more stable than solid woods? Does that make them desirable?

gits: good and plenty
chops: snickers
Old 02-14-2010, 06:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitnoob View Post
Am I the only one who considers this an odd metric? Don't all laminated guitars stay in tune well because laminates are more stable than solid woods? Does that make them desirable?
Generally, an all solid wood guitar sounds better than one that is solid topped and laminated back and sides. A guitar that is all laminate doesn't compare to an all solid wood one, or even one with just a solid top.

A guitar that is all laminate that "stays in tune" is not more desirable than an all solid wood guitar that you have to tune once in a while. Tuning a guitar is not a major event.

Youtube!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 02-14-2010, 07:21 PM

Quote:
He was talking about quality. A well-made guitar with laminate sides and back, along with quality components such as tuners that hold a tune is more desirable than an all-solid wood guitar that is poorly made and uses cheap components.

Look into the world of classical guitars and high-quality guitars with laminate back and sides are not uncommon.

Jim
Old 02-14-2010, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Yeah, the "metric" is a little odd, but it's not the point. When considering tone, construction quality, and consistency, the Yamaha FG7xxS series are the best laminated back/sides guitar value going, IMHO.

That GC price is a good deal!
Old 02-14-2010, 08:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
....because laminates are more stable than solid woods? Does that make them desirable?
That's not what I got from reading this. Let him answer for himself.

Youtube!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 02-14-2010, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokepick View Post
the Yamaha FG7xxS series are the best laminated back/sides guitar value going, IMHO.
FWIW, I recently found out what Yamaha uses for their laminates. At least for the L-series, it's a solid Meranti core with paper-thin veneers of Rosewood.

http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/person...cs/meranti.htm

I found it interesting that Yamaha makes the laminates themselves.

Old 02-15-2010, 10:47 AM

Quote:
FWIW, I recently found out what Yamaha uses for their laminates. At least for the L-series, it's a solid Meranti core with paper-thin veneers of Rosewood.

http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/person...cs/meranti.htm

I found it interesting that Yamaha makes the laminates themselves.

That's interesting. Does that mean all Yamaha's laminate b/s are actually solid Meranti's? So the question is how good a tonewood is Meranti? Isn't it the same as Indonesian Mahogany?
Old 02-15-2010, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by revive View Post
That's interesting. Does that mean all Yamaha's laminate b/s are actually solid Meranti's? So the question is how good a tonewood is Meranti? Isn't it the same as Indonesian Mahogany?
I wondered that too. And it's not an ugly wood. Why not leave it exposed without the veneers?

It could be that they only use Meranti for the sides and use a different laminate for their backs. I only say a video clip of their laminated sides being built for an LJ.

Old 02-15-2010, 12:14 PM

Quote:
It could be that they only use Meranti for the sides and use a different laminate for their backs. I only say a video clip of their laminated sides being built for an LJ.
Could be. But then why use different materials (laminates) for sides vs backs.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion