The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 02-04-2010, 02:39 PM

Default struggling a bit and on the scrounge for help....

Hi Guys n Girls,

I know the old addage is practice practice and practice with a practice in between, and I do practice.

Since i started i have managed to learn some pretty good & tidy changes between some chords but struggling with changing (in some part) to an A chord, but coming away from an A to for example the G is proving a nightmare.... All the songs i know of that i might want to play are a bit above my level at the moment. Part of the prob is i have fat ended fingers and not very flexible joints in the first knuckles.

I prefer sound of g using 320033 so I generally try sliding ring across from
2nd fret to the 3rd and just stick the pinky underneath.

I'm getting there, but losing heart slightly so i need to find a song that is more at my level to help me practice. I practice a lot and i have taught myself practically all i know. but my music likes have always mainly been on heavy metal and rock and most of my real fav songs dont suit accoustic guitar. But I am discovering more music more suited to accoustic...

So for the time being --- Any suggestions of basic songs (easy to get rythym) to help a lousy pomme/limey ex cockney..

For example, i been trying to learn bad moon rising, l but find the change from A - G, to be needed too quick for my level..Any one know any songs where the change from A - G does not need to be too quick?

Thanks in advance
Webby
Old 02-04-2010, 02:59 PM

Personally, I never avoid a challenge when it's a reasonable one -- and playing A-G chords is definitely reasonable.

If I were you, I'd play A-G-A-G-A-G-A-G ad vitam nauseam for a few days. That should do the trick.
Old 02-04-2010, 03:24 PM

Try to make the change without strumming. just put your fingers on the notes and jump from one chord to the next. Then use a metronome and switch chords in time slowly. Remember you don't have to play a song at the speed it's played at, start off slow and gain speed over time.
Old 02-14-2010, 11:42 PM

Try using Barre chords. That way you are simply moving from the 3rd to 5th frets or vice versa.
Old 02-15-2010, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by webby View Post
Hi Guys n Girls,

I know the old addage is practice practice and practice with a practice in between, and I do practice.

Since i started i have managed to learn some pretty good & tidy changes between some chords but struggling with changing (in some part) to an A chord, but coming away from an A to for example the G is proving a nightmare.... All the songs i know of that i might want to play are a bit above my level at the moment. Part of the prob is i have fat ended fingers and not very flexible joints in the first knuckles.

I prefer sound of g using 320033 so I generally try sliding ring across from
2nd fret to the 3rd and just stick the pinky underneath.

I'm getting there, but losing heart slightly so i need to find a song that is more at my level to help me practice. I practice a lot and i have taught myself practically all i know. but my music likes have always mainly been on heavy metal and rock and most of my real fav songs dont suit accoustic guitar. But I am discovering more music more suited to accoustic...

So for the time being --- Any suggestions of basic songs (easy to get rythym) to help a lousy pomme/limey ex cockney..

For example, i been trying to learn bad moon rising, l but find the change from A - G, to be needed too quick for my level..Any one know any songs where the change from A - G does not need to be too quick?

Thanks in advance
Webby
Using your 3rd finger as a sliding guide is a very good idea. Once you get that, (for most folks) the key to the A-G change is the middle finger (finger 2). Watch the change and focus very hard and getting THAT finger where it belongs. The rest will likely fall together after that with a little practice.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write