The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 07-05-2015, 01:25 PM

Default iOS tools for LAMPG Video

I call the videos I shoot "Look At Me Play Guitar" video, and my process and tools have evolved quite a bit over the years. In spite of the improvements in technology I've done very little video with my smart phones for two reasons - poor audio and a lack of remote control.

Physics gets in the way of getting good audio, because when I put the camera where I can see the whole guitar and my head in the shot the camera is too far away for the built-in mic to get good sound. The solution is to put a mic close to the guitar by either recording on a whole separate chain and syncing in post production or by attaching an external mic to the camera.

I finally found an audio interface for my iPhone that is fairly inexpensive, works with all my mics, and delivers good quality audio. It's the iRig Pro, and about the only negative I would offer is that it's mono or single channel rather than stereo. It has enough gain for a low output dynamic mic and can provide 48v phantom for condensers. It's light but well built and connects through the digital input (Lighting, 30 pin, or USB for iMacs).

With the audio addressed I started looking for a remote monitor and control solution for my iPhone. Being able to see what the camera sees while in playing position saves a lot of time and stress setting up a shot, so I've been buying cameras with either articulated viewfinder or remote control app. Now I've found an app that brings the same capability to the iPhone, letting one iOS device monitor and control the camera of another iOS device. It's called Camera Plus with AirSnap.

I shot a couple of videos going over these tools:

and

I also did a blog post at Homebrewed Music: http://www.homebrewedmusic.com/2015/...-lampg-videos/ where you can find links to audio files to hear how the iRig Pro compares to an RME UFX when amplifying a low output ribbon mic.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog

Last edited by Fran Guidry; 07-05-2015 at 01:34 PM.
Old 07-05-2015, 04:44 PM

Hi Fran, your post and video is perfect timing for me as I just made my first ever video with my iPhone 6+. Although I was pleasantly surprised by the audio I was able to get from the 6+ (I amped my Goodall with an AER Compact 60), I believe I would be able to get far superior audio results with the iRig.

Here are a couple of questions: I only have two mics in my locker. A Rode NT4 stereo mic and a Rode NT2A mic. Since the IRig is mono, I will be using the Rode NT2A. Base on your experience, would the NT2A work well in this iRig application?

And, I have Baggs Active iBeams in a couple of guitars. Would the 'active' nature of these work well with the iRig too?

Thanks for your thoughts Fran and and for the music and for sharing your informative videos.

'More guitars than I need but not as many as I want.'
Old 07-06-2015, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Berger View Post
Hi Fran, your post and video is perfect timing for me as I just made my first ever video with my iPhone 6+. Although I was pleasantly surprised by the audio I was able to get from the 6+ (I amped my Goodall with an AER Compact 60), I believe I would be able to get far superior audio results with the iRig.

Here are a couple of questions: I only have two mics in my locker. A Rode NT4 stereo mic and a Rode NT2A mic. Since the IRig is mono, I will be using the Rode NT2A. Base on your experience, would the NT2A work well in this iRig application?

And, I have Baggs Active iBeams in a couple of guitars. Would the 'active' nature of these work well with the iRig too?

Thanks for your thoughts Fran and and for the music and for sharing your informative videos.
The iRig worked very well with my AT3035, I would expect it to work just as well with the NT2a. And I would expect no issue with an active pickup, they're designed to work into the same inputs as passive pickups so they don't generate huge levels or anything.

Fran
Old 07-06-2015, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran Guidry View Post
The iRig worked very well with my AT3035, I would expect it to work just as well with the NT2a. And I would expect no issue with an active pickup, they're designed to work into the same inputs as passive pickups so they don't generate huge levels or anything.

Fran
Thanks Fran

Old 07-06-2015, 07:35 PM

Always exciting stuff when *Fran is in the Lab.* Thanks again for your hard work and sharing it with us, Fran!
Old 07-07-2015, 07:47 AM

Fran, is it still necessary to ‘sync’ the audio with the video in a program like iMovie when recording with this 6+ / iRig Pro / mic setup or is the syncing accomplished in the 6+ as the recording is made?

Old 07-07-2015, 08:11 AM

Thanks, Fran. Great stuff.

2014 Pono N30 DC EIR/Spruce crossover
2009 Pono koa parlor (NAMM prototype)
2018 Maton EBG808TEC
2014 Hatcher Greta 13 fret cutaway in EIR/cedar
2017 Hatcher Josie fan fret mahogany
1973 Sigma GCR7 (OM model) rosewood and spruce
2014 Rainsong OM1000N2
....and about 5 really nice tenor ukuleles at any given moment
Old 07-07-2015, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Berger View Post
Fran, is it still necessary to ‘sync’ the audio with the video in a program like iMovie when recording with this 6+ / iRig Pro / mic setup or is the syncing accomplished in the 6+ as the recording is made?
Nope, the iPhone is generating a .MOV container with audio and video streams along with syncing information. No post production syncing required.

Fran
Old 07-07-2015, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesa View Post
Always exciting stuff when *Fran is in the Lab.* Thanks again for your hard work and sharing it with us, Fran!
Thanks, but I wouldn't want to call playing with recording and video toys hard work (grin).

I sure was surprised at the quality of that iRig Pro mic preamp. I'm thinking that the integrated circuit guys have come up with some pretty amazing "preamp on a chip" technology that's behind the recent step up in low cost high performance audio, like the Tascam DR-70D, Zoom H5/H6, and this little iRig gadget.

Fran
Old 07-07-2015, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran Guidry View Post
Nope, the iPhone is generating a .MOV container with audio and video streams along with syncing information. No post production syncing required.

Fran
Exactly what I wanted to hear. Thanks Fran

Last edited by Steve Berger; 07-07-2015 at 12:47 PM.
Old 07-07-2015, 12:46 PM

OK one more question. Do I need to purchase and install Camera Plus on both my 6+ and I Pad or only on one device? And if only on one, which one?

Old 07-07-2015, 08:08 PM

very interesting!! i'll have to try this with my ipad and imac.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 07-07-2015, 11:57 PM
Charter Member

Based in this thread, I bought it on my iPad, and it let me download it to my iphone as well -
Old 07-08-2015, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadol View Post
Based in this thread, I bought it on my iPad, and it let me download it to my iphone as well -
Thank You tadol

Old 12-28-2015, 03:29 AM

Is there an easy way to post edit the audio within the iPhone 6+ using something like garage band? I've looked but not sure what will work simply to export audio. My vocals are too dry where I need to record.
Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD