The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-06-2009, 12:34 PM

Hi DavidE,

For a single player/singer, or a duo - I think the volume and coverage of the SoloAmp compares with the Bose very well.

How large of a room and how many people are you concerned about?

Also, for a duo where both sing AND play - two SoloAmps would be a great solution - you can link them together for blend and monitoring. Two singers and one player... you'd have to get creative with the SoloAmp. Maybe use some type of mic pre-amp / eq unit and run it into the Aux? Might work fine.

With the Bose, you CAN easily have the same duo in a single L1 system, especially with a T1 mixer. BUT... in those large venues, you would want two Bose L1's also. One system per player is THE way to go...

Mike
Old 02-06-2009, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeTX View Post
Hi DavidE,

For a single player/singer, or a duo - I think the volume and coverage of the SoloAmp compares with the Bose very well.

How large of a room and how many people are you concerned about?

Also, for a duo where both sing AND play - two SoloAmps would be a great solution - you can link them together for blend and monitoring. Two singers and one player... you'd have to get creative with the SoloAmp. Maybe use some type of mic pre-amp / eq unit and run it into the Aux? Might work fine.

With the Bose, you CAN easily have the same duo in a single L1 system, especially with a T1 mixer. BUT... in those large venues, you would want two Bose L1's also. One system per player is THE way to go...

Mike
I have the original L1. No mixer. Mics go in inputs 1 and 2 and guitar in input 3. Leaves 4 open for whatever. Sometimes iPod if we have to provide some canned music. There hasn't been a room too big for my single Bose with one or two subs. There was one that was so noisy that it didn't seem to carry far but I imagine the Fishman would have had the same issue.

For me to use the Soloamp for my duo, we'd have to run everything into a mixer and then into the Soloamp. It can be done, but at that point the prices for what I have are closer together ($1k plus a mixer with good preamps vs 2k). I need to play around with the soloamp. A friend has one and uses it as a supplement to their powered QSC mains. I'll see if I can spend some quality time with it. They really should come out with a version that has 4 inputs.
Old 02-06-2009, 04:12 PM

Yeah, I hear ya David. I first used my SoloAmp with a mixer, because I use two pretty different guitars (electronics) and switch a lot, plus I use a harmony machine.

I have not found a mixer (Bose T1, two Behringers) that did not make noise into the SoloAmp.

I'm pretty much straight into it now...

I think it's a one-person device, doubt we'll see more channels...
Old 02-16-2009, 09:19 PM
Charter Member

I did an Acoustic Duo gig with my Soloamp on Valentines Day. (two guitars, two vocals) Normally I gig with it alone. (Guitar and vocal only)

So we fed our acoustic guitars and vocals into a small 4 channel Behringer mixer. We panned our guitars (stereo left on the mixer) and fed those into Channel 1 on the Soloamo. We panned our vocals (Stereo right) on the mixer and fed them into channel 2 on the Soloamp. Honestly, it worked GREAT! If there was any noise I sure didn't hear any and the crowd was very pleased. I was thrilled and wouldn't hesitate to do so again.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 02-17-2009, 07:42 AM

I finally got to try out the soloamp and was very impressed. I'd love to try one on a gig.

Do you guys think it needs a sub?
Old 02-17-2009, 09:42 AM

Hey David - naah - it does not need a sub...

I actually heard one WITH a sub - it was not better, maybe a little LESS natural.
Old 02-17-2009, 12:58 PM

I have used the T1 with my Schertler Unico and it works great
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 02-17-2009, 04:20 PM

I was not able to use my T1 with the SoloAmp - noisy, as were other mixers. Straight in works best.

Also, as John says - the T1 is best used WITH the L1, AND... the great Fishman EQ itself is voiced FOR the SoloAmp. I think they have a better feel for making acoustic guitar sound good than Bose does, and using the T1 goes against that grain.

My opinion...
Old 11-16-2010, 10:44 AM

thanks a lot , this is helpful!
In fact, i read different reviews recommending SoloAmp which urges me to try it soon apart from using Bose alone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeTX View Post
I own and use both, and to me, it all depends on your usage and needs.

For my band, I use the Bose. More power, volume and headroom, especially for the vocal.

When I play solo, I use my SoloAmp. I believe acoustic guitars sound better, and the vocal is sufficient. Tone and dispersion are excellent. The setup and teardown is immensely easier, and worth it to me. Right tool for the job.

SoloAmp vs Bose with NO sub is NOT a proper or meaningful comparison, in my opinion. For acoustic guitar and male vocal, the Bose sounds best with TWO subs - the only way I will use it. I find it remarkable that the SoloAmp DOES in fact sound as good or better than the Bose, both in their proper and maximum configuration - Bose with two subs and SoloAmp with none.

My thoughts on buying my SoloAmp were -

1. For my solo work and venues, the Bose was much more than what was really needed - it sounded great but was much too much effort than I wanted to exert. I wanted to increase my solo shows from one per month up to three or four.

2. Reading about the SoloAmp - it looked and seemed like it would be perfect for what I wanted. The price was such that it was a no-brainer, obvious decision.

3. My bottom line was that "if the Fishman sounded and dispersed ONE-THIRD as good as the Bose, it would be enough for my solo performances".

4. Turns out, the SoloAmp truly exceeded my hopes and expectations, by a great degree. My best amplification purchase since... I bought my first Bose!

Best luck! MIKE
Old 11-17-2010, 10:33 AM

I have owned a Carvin AG100, a Loudbox 100, and I currently play through the Soloamp. Of the 3 amps, the Soloamp has been the only one that has been perfect for every situation and venue I have played. Well, ALMOST every situation. I have a battery amp for gigs that do not provide electricity.

I can't count the number of occasions where I have played an event, and was asked to change locations. Sometimes this was planned, but most of the time it was on the fly. Some of my musician friends have more involved PA setups (such as the L1). When clients ask them to move to another location, they will either refuse, or charge the client extra money. It is nice to be able to smile and say, "I'll be happy to do that, and I will be ready to fire it up again in five minutes".

Every time I think that I have been up against every freak occurrence that could ever happen, I am continually surprised. I was to play at a formal event in Savannah, GA. To my horror, I could not even get close to the venue, because fire officials had blocked off the entire area for a two block radius due to an oil spill. There was no parking available next to the venue, and the closest parking garage was at max capacity. I had to park my car 4 blocks away (illegally, and was issued a fine) and bring all of my equipment in the July heat in South Georgia. Although my clothes were soaked, it could have been a lot worse if I had to take multiple trips to the car.

The specs and features of all the various pieces of gear are covered very nicely by many people. I hope that my experiences are also helpful.

Last edited by Funkmaster P; 11-17-2010 at 10:36 AM. Reason: stupidly worded

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification