The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-05-2009, 08:41 AM

Default Fishman Soloamp vs. Bose L1

Has anyone every A/B'ed these two guys? What did you think? I think to be fair, I'd be interested if anyone A/B'd them without the Bose sub.

thanks!

Fishman

Bose
Old 02-05-2009, 08:47 AM
Charter Member

maybe this should be in the electrified section? there has been a few threads on this topic. but maybe not specifically to the L1 without sub. here is a good thread:

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=137096

Omega Braz MJ, 2011 Omega MJ Braz Baritone
Ryan Cathedral ABW/Bosnian
Build thread: 2011 Kostal Mod D Brazilian/German
Build thread: 2019 Kostal MDW Brazilian/German
Build thread:2019 Bigfoot Mod D
Old 02-05-2009, 08:56 AM

Thanks for the link. I was curious to see if there was THAT much difference between the fishman and the bose (which costs 150% more than the fishman).

Thanks again. It was very helpful!
Old 02-05-2009, 09:02 AM

I hosted that GC A/B, the Fishman is a fantastic deal against the Bose, neither blows the other away but the price difference at least to me makes it a no brainer.

We added a sub to the Fishman (not really needed for acoustic guitar) just to compare apples to apples (sort of), I preferred the Fishman and you can buy two and a sub for the price of one L1!

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 02-05-2009, 09:55 AM

Default Both Great Products, Wonderful Sound

I own and use both, and to me, it all depends on your usage and needs.

For my band, I use the Bose. More power, volume and headroom, especially for the vocal.

When I play solo, I use my SoloAmp. I believe acoustic guitars sound better, and the vocal is sufficient. Tone and dispersion are excellent. The setup and teardown is immensely easier, and worth it to me. Right tool for the job.

SoloAmp vs Bose with NO sub is NOT a proper or meaningful comparison, in my opinion. For acoustic guitar and male vocal, the Bose sounds best with TWO subs - the only way I will use it. I find it remarkable that the SoloAmp DOES in fact sound as good or better than the Bose, both in their proper and maximum configuration - Bose with two subs and SoloAmp with none.

My thoughts on buying my SoloAmp were -

1. For my solo work and venues, the Bose was much more than what was really needed - it sounded great but was much too much effort than I wanted to exert. I wanted to increase my solo shows from one per month up to three or four.

2. Reading about the SoloAmp - it looked and seemed like it would be perfect for what I wanted. The price was such that it was a no-brainer, obvious decision.

3. My bottom line was that "if the Fishman sounded and dispersed ONE-THIRD as good as the Bose, it would be enough for my solo performances".

4. Turns out, the SoloAmp truly exceeded my hopes and expectations, by a great degree. My best amplification purchase since... I bought my first Bose!

Best luck! MIKE
Old 02-05-2009, 12:29 PM
Charter Member

Well, now I feel really good about jumping on the virtually new SoloAmp in the AGF classifieds for a considerable discount off the already low price.

I do have one question that I did not see covered in this or the linked thread.

The latest Bose ads in AG magazine show a single performer standing directly in front of the tower playing a plugged in guitar and singing through a microphone. This suggests to me that Bose has conquered the Feedback Monster. I, on the other hand play my guitar through a microphone and sing through a microphone and have had, even with the notch filters etc., some feedback challenges with the SoloAmp.

My question is, since 99% of the feedback issues I am experiencing with the SoloAmp seems to be instrument mic related, would the Bose have the same feedback issues if the guitar was being miced as well as the voice, or is the Bose system superior to the Soloamp in this respect.

Oh, BTW, I love the natural sound the SoloAmp gives me. It is truly a winner for the very small venue, solo performances I am involved in.

LC
Old 02-05-2009, 01:57 PM

There's a recent review of the Solo Amp in AG mag. The reviewer noted feedback issues when using a mic-only guitar, dealt with it via added EQ in the signal chain I believe.
Old 02-05-2009, 02:19 PM

Smile

I experience only minimal feedback in fairly confined areas, with the Solo & My GS7 w/ K&K Mini.
A "Heavy" patterned "LuteHole" seems to remedy it well, for me.

"If there are no dogs in heaven,
then when I die I want to go where they went" . ~ Will Rogers

Taylor Macassar/Sinker Custom GA
Taylor 910 w/K&K PW Mini
Taylor GS7 w/K&K PW Mini
Taylor DN3
Alvarez PD85SAV
Fishman SoloAmp
DigiTech VL4
A Gnarly Tangle of Cables
Old 02-05-2009, 06:25 PM

Does the Fishman have anything close to the pre-programmed eq settings of the original Bose? I have used my Bose extensively for my acoustic duo (two vocal, one guitar) for several years and it's been fantastic in all but one situation.
Old 02-05-2009, 06:26 PM

ANy thoughts on the Bag amp by the guy who claims Fishman stole his design?
Old 02-05-2009, 08:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
ANy thoughts on the Bag amp by the guy who claims Fishman stole his design?
I don't think it actually exists yet, does it? According to their website, it's "coming soon":

http://www.collinsamerica.com/page2/page2.html

In the meantime, prospective purchasers could amuse themselves with these:

http://www.collinsamerica.com/page14/page14.html

Oops. They're "coming soon", too.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 02-05-2009, 11:04 PM

Default SoloAmp EQ

Hi David,

As cool as the Bose Presets concept IS, the Fishman more simple approach also works VERY well, for me.

When you delve into the Bose black box, I'm pretty sure "presets" are basically very customized and specific bands of EQ, either 32 or 64, tuned almost exclusively by the incredible ears and mind of the brilliant inventor, Cliff. And they ARE quite excellent.

The SoloAmp on the other hand, is ... FISHMAN! It clearly has THAT Fishman acoustic guitar sound, which is excellent and legendary. If one does not happen to LIKE it, then too bad I guess. But they have Master Volume, Channel Gain, High, Mid, Low, with Feedback Control, Phase, plus some reverbs. I dig the simplicity. AND the tone.

They are NOT exactly the same, and as Rich stated - one does not really blow away the other. For me, I like them both, each does a great, specific job for things I need.

Hope this helps.

Mike
Old 02-06-2009, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeTX View Post
Hi David,

As cool as the Bose Presets concept IS, the Fishman more simple approach also works VERY well, for me.

When you delve into the Bose black box, I'm pretty sure "presets" are basically very customized and specific bands of EQ, either 32 or 64, tuned almost exclusively by the incredible ears and mind of the brilliant inventor, Cliff. And they ARE quite excellent.

The SoloAmp on the other hand, is ... FISHMAN! It clearly has THAT Fishman acoustic guitar sound, which is excellent and legendary. If one does not happen to LIKE it, then too bad I guess. But they have Master Volume, Channel Gain, High, Mid, Low, with Feedback Control, Phase, plus some reverbs. I dig the simplicity. AND the tone.

They are NOT exactly the same, and as Rich stated - one does not really blow away the other. For me, I like them both, each does a great, specific job for things I need.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Of course the Fishman wouldn't do me any good since we need to amplify two vocals and one guitar. I'd also have concerns about it being loud enough for some of our bigger rooms.
Old 02-06-2009, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Conquistador View Post
Well, now I feel really good about jumping on the virtually new SoloAmp in the AGF classifieds for a considerable discount off the already low price.

I do have one question that I did not see covered in this or the linked thread.

The latest Bose ads in AG magazine show a single performer standing directly in front of the tower playing a plugged in guitar and singing through a microphone. This suggests to me that Bose has conquered the Feedback Monster. I, on the other hand play my guitar through a microphone and sing through a microphone and have had, even with the notch filters etc., some feedback challenges with the SoloAmp.

My question is, since 99% of the feedback issues I am experiencing with the SoloAmp seems to be instrument mic related, would the Bose have the same feedback issues if the guitar was being miced as well as the voice, or is the Bose system superior to the Soloamp in this respect.

Oh, BTW, I love the natural sound the SoloAmp gives me. It is truly a winner for the very small venue, solo performances I am involved in.

LC
Go to the Bose Musicians Forum and ask your question there. Very helpful folks.
http://bose.infopop.cc/eve/forums

David
David's CDs
Old 02-06-2009, 10:34 AM

Any one try the Bose T1 (Tone Match) and the solo together?? Mine works great into my Unico.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification