The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 11-06-2015, 07:03 AM

Default Simple Finish Suggestions for Partscaster

Hi,

I am giving some thoughts to building a partscaster from a Warmouth ash Tele body and roasted maple neck. I plan to leave the neck unfinished. I do like the look of this limited run Fender and imagine an oil finish would be easier for someone with no experience to achieve.

Though the roasted maple is quite a bit darker than ash and maybe something yellower would look better.

Suggestions?

Thanks!
Jon
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 11-06-2015, 07:16 AM

Leaving the neck unfinished is a mistake IMHO and will also void the Warmoth warranty.
Old 11-06-2015, 07:24 AM

For roasted maple, Warmouth says no finish is required for their warranty. Thanks, Jon
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 11-06-2015, 07:46 AM

I don't use rubbed oil finishes, but the body looks to me a nice candidate for one.

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Old 11-06-2015, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
Hi,

I am giving some thoughts to building a partscaster from a Warmouth ash Tele body and roasted maple neck. I plan to leave the neck unfinished. I do like the look of this limited run Fender and imagine an oil finish would be easier for someone with no experience to achieve.

Though the roasted maple is quite a bit darker than ash and maybe something yellower would look better.

Suggestions?

Thanks!
Jon
Jon, I have used Tru-oil with some good results. Wipe on, wipe off... Lots of posts out there on application.
Lately, I have been grain filling with Z poxy, which does add some amber color. YMMV
What a beaut! That is nice. Best of luck
Chuck
Old 11-13-2015, 08:48 PM

Minwax wipe-on poly is as easy as it comes. Well, Tru-oil is about the same really, but it's a bit harder to find where I'm from.
Old 11-13-2015, 09:08 PM

tru oil works well. Just don't try to go too thick in one coat. Wipe it on, wipe it off. Repeat...and repeat...and repeat. You can actually get a high gloss if you go thick enough and buff it out.

For home use, I've also had good luck with Minwax wipe-on polyurethane. It comes in a gloss and a satin.
Old 11-14-2015, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer72 View Post
Minwax wipe-on poly is as easy as it comes. Well, Tru-oil is about the same really, but it's a bit harder to find where I'm from.

Having recently used both and developed my own hybrid use of the two, they are very different. Other then application.

I did my partscaster using wipe on and settled for finish using the spray minwax gloss. Love the finish.

My acoustics, I used the wipe on poly after shellac for pore fill, then did a finish coat of tru oil which gave he whole finish that tru oil look that poly alone does not offer.

Tru oil can have a different sweet satin finish, or full gloss depending on application as well.
Mako early 80's strat copy.
Old 11-15-2015, 07:22 AM
Charter Member

Two finishes come to mind...

Waterlox Original is my go-to varnish. When I use it, I put on the first coat by continusously applying until it looks like the wood won't absorb any more then wiping off the excess. Then I apply the subsequent coats with a good brush until I get the gloss I want. One of the things I like about Waterlox is that you the gloss builds slowly as you add thin coats, so you just stop when you like what you see. Waterlox has an amber cast and really pops grain.

The other that comes to mind is Zinsser Seal Coat shellac in a rattle can. It goes on pretty easily and can be rubbed out like lacquer. If something goes wrong, you just wipe it off with denatured alcohol.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair