The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 10-19-2016, 09:12 AM
Charter Member

Simply beautiful--love the thematic lines carried throughout on this guitar. Wish I could try it out!
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 10-28-2016, 06:37 PM

Bump bump bump
Old 10-29-2016, 06:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgregg48 View Post
Bump bump bump
Thanks for your interest and for the the "bump".

There is not much more to say other than I absolutely love this unique guitar. I am still exploring different strings. The latest set that I tried was D'Addario Nickel Bronze strings. I have tried a number of sets and they all bring out different things as expected.

Bill showed the guitar at Woodstock and had Paul Asbell play it. It sounded fantastic when he was practicing at the table but unfortunately the microphones on the Woodstock stage seemed reluctant to share its warmth and bass with the audience (likely poor placement). I also was fortunate to hear a number of great players audition it at Woodstock. I think most flat top players were attracted to its beauty but frankly did not know what to make of it. The guitar has been in Bill's hands for a few weeks now ahead of the show and is going through post-show clean up. It should come home soon...

Old 10-29-2016, 10:17 PM

I read this forum but don't really post here, moreso over at the jazz guitar forum. However, I had the opportunity to play this guitar for awhile as well at the Woodstock Invitational, in one of the basement "quiet rooms." It's one of the reasons I drove the 14 hours from Toronto to Woodstock and back. Not the only reason - I did check out some other lovely guitars as well.

I'm a big fan of acoustic archtop guitars, so that's how I played it, and it sounded and felt very much like an oval/round-hole archtop to me. It responded well to being played with fingers as well as with a pick, with very even sound, nice string separation and lots of dynamic range. The prior player was fingerpicking and his style gave it a lot of flattop character. Zelig is a great name - the guitar takes on and mirrors the the character of the player's style. Pretty cool. It sounded great. Congrats to Bob, and hooray for Bill Comins!

Last edited by Hammertone; 10-30-2016 at 04:14 AM.
Old 10-30-2016, 05:14 AM
Charter Member

Stephen, it was a pleasure to finally meet someone that I have known on the forums for so many years. You sounded great when playing it (Erich Solomon's guitar to boot). Thanks again for your kind words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammertone View Post
I read this forum but don't really post here, moreso over at the jazz guitar forum. However, I had the opportunity to play this guitar for awhile as well at the Woodstock Invitational, in one of the basement "quiet rooms." It's one of the reasons I drove the 14 hours from Toronto to Woodstock and back. Not the only reason - I did check out some other lovely guitars as well.

I'm a big fan of acoustic archtop guitars, so that's how I played it, and it sounded and felt very much like an oval/round-hole archtop to me. It responded well to being played with fingers as well as with a pick, with very even sound, nice string separation and lots of dynamic range. The prior player was fingerpicking and his style gave it a lot of flattop character. Zelig is a great name - the guitar takes on and mirrors the the character of the player's style. Pretty cool. It sounded great. Congrats to Bob, and hooray for Bill Comins!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop